Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new 2001 and my first!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 20212223>
Author
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 4:11pm
aka,
I'm trying to figure out how much foam you ended up using for your boat, but I wasn't sure from the posts. Did you go with 4lb? I'm getting close to ordering some for my 2001.
Thanks!
Ryan
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 7:05pm
I used the 2lb foam: FOAM-0216

I originally bought 3 kits of the FOAM-0216 which was 24 cubic feet and ended up having to buy 2 more of them.

Next time I do it I will put down boards covered in plastic with holes. Then pour the foam in the holes and fill up the cavitives. Then remove the boards and cover in glass. I wasted a lot of foam just free pouring it. If you put down some boards then the foam will fill up the floor more evenly and you will waste less.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

I used the 2lb foam: FOAM-0216

I originally bought 3 kits of the FOAM-0216 which was 24 cubic feet and ended up having to buy 2 more of them.

Next time I do it I will put down boards covered in plastic with holes. Then pour the foam in the holes and fill up the cavitives. Then remove the boards and cover in glass. I wasted a lot of foam just free pouring it. If you put down some boards then the foam will fill up the floor more evenly and you will waste less.

Nice tip, Does the foam not stick to the plastic?
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 7:29pm
Good to know, thanks much! I'm debating 2 or 4 lb, but I think they used 2 lb from the factory and it seemed plenty strong. Sounds like I might as well order the 80 lb kit. I might end up with extra, but four 16 lb kits seems to be about the same price.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 11:46pm
I think that would be about right. I would go with the 80lb kit as well next time!

No - the foam doesn't stick to plastic. I had to rebuild my air box so I built a frame out of ply wood and covered it in that plastic you get at home depot to put on the floors for painting. After the foam was hard the plywood covered in plastic release very easy leaving a very nice mold.

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 11:52pm
Well I had my first real mishap tonight. I tried out a different ramp. The ramp was more shallow and the water was very rough. As I backed the boat off the trailer a wave came by and pushed the boat to the left and the prop hit the prop guard. Pretty ironic that the very thing to protect it, messed it up! Bent the tips on all four blades on my Acme 422. Guess it is off to the delta prop place to be fixed!

Good news is I have two other props the guy gave me when I bought the boat. One is a very nice OJ 13x13 3 blade. The bad news is the OJ is a LH prop and my engine is a RH rotation! Pretty funny. I have had this prop for 6 months and didn't even realize it was the wrong rotation until today!

I put the other 3 blade on there that is a RH but it is very old and I can barely make out the letters. It looks a little smaller than the OJ but will get me through the next week while I wait for my 422 to be repaired.

Guess the OJ LH is going up on ebay! Any takers, it looks brandnew!?!?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 12:25pm
You have a LH engine, just a RH transmission. Any way to narrow the trailer guides? I'm sure they are still set wider for the bigger beam of a newer CC.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 12:56pm
Thats correct! Thanks for the correction.

That was critters suggestion. I am going to take them off and have a welder cut some of the width of them out. They are about a foot out right now.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 1:09pm
Little correction. The guides are about 9 inches out when the boat is fully trailed but the widest part of the boat is right at 87" and the guides are are 90". So there isn't much room for them to come in.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 10:37pm
Hey guys, I went out tonight with the smaller 3 blade. What a dog it is! I think it is out of alignment a little after hitting the prop guard. I took the coupling off and noticed it is slightly off center. I spun the shaft and put a center on it and it doesn't seem bent. Maybe the strut got moved a little or bent? My question is....

The engine is as far left as possible and can't go anymore. If I loosen up the four bolts holding the strut will it move a little side to side to get the shaft more center in the log? Right now the shaft is more left in the log than it is center.

Thanks!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 1:18am
Aka - If you didn't 'bed' the strut base in 5200, then you might get the base to twist, it won't take much to move the shaft over at the front. If you plastered 5200 under the strut (like I did), you will have to basically cut the 5200 in order to move it. Pete has a good method for this involving weld wire & a 12V battery!. never tried that myself, hope i never need to.

BTW, my boat's strut moved a few weeks ago too, so I know it happens!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 5:52am
Narrowing the guide posts won't help you.

That's got to be the number 1 best reason against power loading & unloading your boat. In reverse, you will always pull to the side.

If you float on & off you will never have this problem, and you also won't scratch up you hull anywhere near as badly.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 11:32am
SNobsessed,

I haven't touched the strut during this entire process so I assume it is set from the factory. If I did move it, I would probably set it with 4200. I have used 5200 in a few places and I don't like it.

So if it were set from the factory you think I can just loosen the bolts and it will move? What did the factory use to set it?

Chopper I wish I could do that! With my trailer I have tried to put the truck wheels in the water and it won't just slide off. I have actually started looking for a trailer that would fit the boat better but this late in the game I can't spend a lot on a new one. I modified the bunks a few weeks ago because there was an edge on the inside that was scratching the boat. It made me sick to my stomach when I saw the scratches.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 11:41am
My truck is in almost to it's front wheels when we lanuch at the lake.!!!

not so bad when we go to the river as the ramp is steeper.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 12:00pm
Where is your exhaust pipe? Are you not worried about stalling it out with it under water or do all you Australia's run a snorkel out there .
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 10:51pm
Exhaust is under water bubbling away. No redneck truck exhaust stacks if that's what you mean.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 12:15am
Aka - My boat's strut was just caulked on around the edges with some gooey stuff, I assume from the factory. I cut through it with a razor knife & got a flat screwdriver to grab an edge (padded the gel with some thin wood) & it came loose easily. I don't think it would have slid sideways without removing it 1st.

Ben Franklin
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 6:46pm
Got a little more done. I decided while I wait for the correct color match vinyl for my current interior I would make some temporary seats using some vinyl I found at a local shop. Here are my first attempts at upholstery. After doing these I feel pretty confident that the final seats with the matching vinyl will come out pretty good.

I also started making an ICE chest that will fit under the rear seat. It just needs some glass. I am going to add a drain so as the ice melts it will drain into the bigle.

Here are the shots of the ice cooler I am making! Had a little bit of foam left. Just enough to fill this area:

Outer shell:

Inner Shell

Both shells ready for the foam to be poured:

Here is the foam shell after removing the mold. Just needs a little glass:
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 11:03pm
you are quite an artist man!!! nice work on that ice chest!!keep the pics comming
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 11:18pm
Joey,
You amaze me nothing seems to slow you down or be something you won't jump right in and conquer you are sure a inspiration to this site and to boat owners around the world. I followed your post as well as others for sometime now. Keep it going.... Monty
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 11:28pm
Wow,    thank you! It is all thanks to this site and the people that are on it! I just hope one day I get a chance to repay at least half the help I have received!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 12:56am
You could do a cameo appearance at Green Lake

We would all enjoy meeting the makeover artist.

Ben Franklin
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 1:15am
I have been trying to talk Joey into the GL trip for the last couple of months. I know that he and the wife will enjoy it.
I will start on him with the LG trip as soon as I get back from GL.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 2:36pm
Got the new GPS Speedo device in and it is pretty cool! It tricks the speedo into thinking it is a paddle wheel.

Here is a shot of the device before install:

Installed:

Location of GPS Receiver:

After the install to calibrate it you put a jumper on two of the pins and then turn a small dial to get your speedo to 37.5 mph.

Water testing compared to the gps in my iphone:

The install took a total of 30 minutes! It was really easy and pretty accurate. It is a little slow to catch up but only by a few seconds. We figured out that if we hold at 2200 rpms when pulling the person out of the water the gps catches up in about 1-2 seconds after starting and then you can fine tune using the speedo.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 3:31pm
Awesome work on the Ice Chest! I have some left over materials and just might have to mimic yours!

Can you post the link/contact info for the GPS receiver? I might be interested in something like this!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 5:01pm
Thanks!

Sure thing on gps receiver!

http://www.hummingbirdelectronics.com.au/senders.html

They are in Australia but I got it in about 1.5 weeks. They show the cost to be $220 but after you pay with paypal and it is converted to US currency it only came out to around $180.

After looking at my options which was perfect pass ($1400) or the US version of the GPS speedo which you have to use their speedo ($550) this was the best of both world - Cheaper and I got to use my matching speedo!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:01am
Thought everyone would like to see her with the new decals on it. I think it looks pretty sweet!

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:06am
you should be very proud of this accomplishment.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:08am
Now that is sweet! Have you been putting some hours on her?

Ben Franklin
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 2:14am
Thanks guys and yes as much as I can. We have been hitting the lake during the week nights when it is not as crowded! Usually get out at least twice a week!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 20212223>
  Share Topic