NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NO power when turning key

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NO power when turning key
    Posted: January-21-2009 at 11:37am
Just trying to get a jump on a few things before the season starts. At the end of last season I was having a problem with my 88 SN. It would start and run fine but sometimes when I would try to start it I would get no power to the starter or dash, no alarm, basically no power to anything. I was thinking the ignition key switch may be bad. Any other ideas
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 11:53am
Jon,
Have you tested with a meter or a test light at the ignition switch? How are all your connections at terminals and wiring harness plugs? Ignition switches do go bad but I recommend testing first.

Last year at GL one of our members found out his switch wasn't bad. This was after he changed it!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 12:04pm
You can test your neutral safety switch on the transmission too. Easy check. The starter will not turn if it is not in neutral or switch is open.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 12:09pm
Critter its not that the starter wont turn its that I Get NO power when turning the key. So I dont think its the nss. Im not sure if testing the switch would work since its very intermitant, or would it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 12:20pm
Sounds like you have power to the switch because the engine will crank. Check for power on the "bat" terminal on the ignition switch anyway. Then check for power at the "ign" terminal with the key turned to the on position while wiggling the key. If you have power in and it's intermittent out, then change the ignition switch. Do you have a meter?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 12:37pm
yep have a meter looks like ill have to wait till get the battery back in the boat to test or pull the switch and run battery to it. thanks
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:00pm
sounds like the NSS is going bad to me, causing the intermittent starting issue because it's not allowing current to go to the starter as that's what it does, prevents the starter from engauging when in gear.

attach both leads to the same post next time it happens and I bet it fires right up.
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:02pm
dont know that much about it but if the NSS was going bad wouldnt it still allow power to the dash, guages, alarm, etc and just prevent the starter from turning.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by nc2001 nc2001 wrote:

dont know that much about it but if the NSS was going bad wouldnt it still allow power to the dash, guages, alarm, etc and just prevent the starter from turning.

no it will kill power everywhere. So either listen to what you are told or don't ask and then keep questioning who's right or wrong.

Because it sure sounds like you all ready know what the problems is in your mind but you are not getting the answers you are expecting to hear to back it up.

So either have an open mind and listen to the knowledgable ones here or fix it your self and quit waisting our time acting like you all ready know what the problem is and how to fix it, because your not even on the playing field right now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:16pm
Jon,
Yes, power to the ignition comes off the "IGN" terminal at the switch and power to the starter solenoid comes off the "ST" terminal via the NSS. Your boat cranks so check the "IGN" terminal (check for voltage while cranking too - it may indicate another problem if low) Chris (79) isn't reading the tread thoroughly - again!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:19pm
Wrong Pete been here done that replaced the whole electrical system educating myself on the wrong way to fix the problem.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:22pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:23pm
if the switch goes bad then it creates an open curcuit and you have no power to anything since it goes right back to the relay where everything else is feed from, soo if you want to keep him chasing his tail then knock your self out.
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:27pm
ok just asking cause every vehicle (obviously not a boat I know) that I have worked on, mostly jeeps, a bad NSS doesnt kill power to the entire vehicle.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:28pm
Jon,
I thought the wiring diagram would help you. You'll see that the ignition power (purple wire) is the power to the engine. The yellow via the NSS is to the solenoid for cranking. As mentioned, you should check at "IGN" terminal with the key turned to "on" as well as in the "start" position.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by nc2001 nc2001 wrote:

ok just asking cause every vehicle (obviously not a boat I know) that I have worked on, mostly jeeps, a bad NSS doesnt kill power to the entire vehicle.

A CARS WIRING SYSTEM IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

so again by-pass the switch and you will never have the issue again, or just replace the switch will fix it as well or you can get your meter out and continue to enjoy chasing your asswhole.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 2:40pm
Did you lose power to everything with the key in the "run" (I) position as well as the "start" (S) position?

A better description of the problem would help. Theres a good chance Pete and Chris would agree on the diagnosis if they fully understood the symptoms.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 2:58pm
if you don't have power in the run postion your sure as hell not going to have it in the start postion either. But again why would you have power at all when the NSS is bad? What are the other posibilities? there are none that will cause the same problem because if the NSS is good then you would not loose power to the dash only the starter.

So if you want to keep pulling *************** out of your asswhole and guessing or want to keep chasing that whole go ahead waist of time JMHO
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 6:46pm
just to clarify. Sometimes and I mean sometimes, its very intermitant but always happens in the wrong time/place. when I turn the key i get nothing. no power to starter and no power to dash, guages, etc. Same problem in "run" or "start". Ill check on the nss too 79.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 9:05pm
'79 - Do you realize the credibility you would have if you communicated with respect?

Really guy, it's not funny anymore.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 10:02pm
not to bust any balls, i would check for a bad ground connection. im not doubting anything said here and they are very good troubleshooters, but if you knew the times that i went through all these checks and found a bad connection be it the positive cable or negative... its a good starting point, if it checks out go to the next step
note: if it happens you can put a test light on the positve side of the battery and then you touch the engine with the tester, it will light if you have a good connection
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 11:54am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

'79 - Do you realize the credibility you would have if you communicated with respect?

Really guy, it's not funny anymore.

REALLY GUY YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE.

I'll have me credit when you finish attaching the two white wires together and it starts right up. I tell it like it is and then if you really want to get wishy washy then so be it. everyone seems to think I have trouble reading I just don't dwell on the little anal retentive *************** some like to endulge in.
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 12:15pm
I don't think people have a problem with your reading as much as your writing. You really don't seem to respect anyone but yourself. Maybe it's just a game you play, I don't know, but it really comes across disrespectful. Generally, when someone speaks to people the way you do I refer to it as "small man syndrome" but I have seen your picture, your not a small man physically. It's just not the norm for what the others here offer. Not everyone here has your extreme expertise. Check into Prozac. I have heard it has a calming affect. And, calming down could help your blood pressure.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 12:21pm
When it does not turn on, try hitting it with the screwdriver a few times and then go try turn it on.

If it engages for sure is that.
The started solenoid is cheap fo change.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 1:21pm
I had a simular problem. I would reach up under the dash and wiggle the wires around on the ignition switch while holding the key on. It would fire right up. After crawling under the dash and looking, I found a loose wire.
83Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

I had a simular problem. I would reach up under the dash and wiggle the wires around on the ignition switch while holding the key on. It would fire right up. After crawling under the dash and looking, I found a loose wire.

That's a common issue but it will usually die in mid song too, just not when trying to start, the spade connectors get a little loose and lose contact.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Rglover Rglover wrote:

I don't think people have a problem with your reading as much as your writing. You really don't seem to respect anyone but yourself. Maybe it's just a game you play, I don't know, but it really comes across disrespectful. Generally, when someone speaks to people the way you do I refer to it as "small man syndrome" but I have seen your picture, your not a small man physically. It's just not the norm for what the others here offer. Not everyone here has your extreme expertise. Check into Prozac. I have heard it has a calming affect. And, calming down could help your blood pressure.

newbie that never have meet me and know what I'm about, I'm sorry if I'm to the point and don't sugar coat it for the cry babies or politically correct d*cks, say it how it is not so line of BS
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

When it does not turn on, try hitting it with the screwdriver a few times and then go try turn it on.

If it engages for sure is that.
The started solenoid is cheap fo change.

Luciano,
A solenoid not picking up (closing it's contacts) may be caused by other problems and may not just be the solenoid. Low voltage to the coil caused by a weak battery or resistance from poor connections is typical. Tapping it with a low voltage may just "jar" it enough for the coil to magnetically pick up the armature and close its contacts. This is why I recommended getting some voltage readings.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 11:27pm
Hello,

This may or may not help you, but my boat sometimes will not start also. After reading several post of this forum, I am now going to check and see if my Gear Shift Cabel needs a slight adjustment.

When my boat does not start, unlike yours, I still have power to the dash. Recently, I put on a new NSS and the first time out with the new switch, I had to bypass it to get the boat to start.

In-order to enquage the starter, I have to   move the shifter forward and reverse several times. This may be another thing to take a look at.

I hope ths helps,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 11:33pm
Also, I am upgrading my postive and negative battery cables to 1 AW to help with any low voltage issues that may be there. My cabels are 29 years old so I am willing to spend the money to do preventative maintenance.

My Pontoon Boat sometimes has starting problems and I am trying not to have these with the Ski Boat.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic