Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MIke Seipel EZ Footer

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIke Seipel EZ Footer
    Posted: February-16-2009 at 3:09pm
Has anyone ever used the Mike Seipel EZ Footer for teaching barefoot skiing? If so do you have any input on the product? Does anyone have a used one along with the DVD to sell?

Thanks,
Kevin
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 4:08pm
I personally havent used one, but have been in the boat when being used. Pretty fool proof tool I would say. Literally anyone can get the feeling of footing while sitting in that rig. I'm not sure I would invest in one, because after one ride in it, you will move on to the next step of tumbling up, which isnt that hard without the EZfooter, but thats just my opinion.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 4:13pm
I have one. It works well. With heavier people you need a more extra's in the boat for counter weight. It's nice for teaching people without them falling. It saves time and fuel not having to go back and pick them up all the time. I also use it when I need a handle shorter than 4' I would recommend it if you have the extra cash.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 4:47pm
Thanks for the quick response. How wide is the handle on the EZ Footer and how long is it? I have a barefooot wake handle. Can this be used if it is wrapped around the boom? If so then, does anyone have the instructional tape or DVD I could buy or borrow? My daughters want to learn to barefoot and I'm looking for the easiest least discouraging way to teach them. I know how to barefoot, but I'm not sure of the EZ Footer technique.

Kevin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 5:14pm
It is just another 15" handle, the "v" created by the 2 ropes is much bigger than a normal "wakes" handle. I have both I'll take some pictures later this week.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Kevin's '79 Kevin's '79 wrote:

My daughters want to learn to barefoot and I'm looking for the easiest least discouraging way to teach them.

Kevin

Just teach them the old school way, long line step-off.
I know of people having had great success using the EZ Footer. Just don't let your daughters see the last footing run of Banana George.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 7:16pm
I saw the last footage of Banana George and that is the main reason I've been asking the questions. The whole deal looked dangerous when he did it. I don't want it to turn out like that. That's why I wanted to see if anyone had the instructional DVD they could loan me. I also agree that after they learn they would quickly move away from using it and $60 seems like a lot for a couple of uses. I think I could make a handle if I had the DVD for reviewing and then teaching.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Just teach them the old school way, long line step-off.

That's still the only way i know... been working on getting back into a less round shape in the off season, now that i'm making a comeback on a ski I may have to try footin again, the boys have never seen the old man do that... yet. Ive got a boom under the cottage someone gave me, i may have to make a mount for it and see what all the fuss is about.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 3:12pm
Sean, you're welcome to come over to Hamilton Lake any time and go out with me. I've got all the equipment you could possible need. bring the boys too!

Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 5:46pm
Sean
Your welcome to come north a bit also. If your boys have never seen you foot, your goal to get back is a must.
Good Luck. And remember, CCFans are always welcome.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 6:17pm
I appreciate the offers and I may take you up on it late in the summer. I bought a new ski last fall and am planning to do a lot more this season if I can get the strength built up again. Gotta find a different suit though, mine shrank and I'm not interested in doing it with a ski vest on again.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Kevin's '79 Kevin's '79 wrote:

I saw the last footage of Banana George and that is the main reason I've been asking the questions. The whole deal looked dangerous when he did it. I don't want it to turn out like that.

I wouldn't worry much about the swing turning into a crash like Banana George's. The problem there was him being so weak he could not hang on to the boom.

If the kids are small, you'll do fine to use a regular barefoot handle wrapped up around the boom. I've been in the boat when KSO and Paul MacDonald used this technique for small kids starting out.....worked great for giving them a feel for the water. If you notice them starting to fall, make a turn away from them to lift them right off the water.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 11:19pm
I have used it to teach lots of kids and some adults too. I had first used a toe hold handle but decided to try Mike's and ordered one, it was so short it would not really work so I called LakeElmoSports and they made me one custom sized to my specs, I like it at 36 inches long, with a nice wide 24 inches from the handle to the close of the "v"...this size works for almost anyone. you want the boom to be over little kids heads, bigger people can look directly at or over the boom while sitting in EZ Footer and boat moving. Keep speeds very slow, just 10-12 mph for kids is enough, don't go over 20 with anyone ever. Instruct them to never let go of the boom, if their feet catch they will wash right under them and they can just pull them back and get them back on the water, its a no can fall situation, you can teach anyone to foot like this. keep using it til you see them skiing on their feet and the ezFooter falling away from the butt(don't let it drop away or it could be trouble!) at the end of the run "fly" them by turning away the boom goes way up and they will "fly" they will love it.
Siepels is made for very little kids, the bigger one from LES is more versatile but you won't get a video. I ordered Mikes, watched the video, decided it was too short and sent it back to Lake Elmo Sports who then made the bigger one. I have a couple pics I can post.     
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 11:34pm
here they are, this one is with a toehold. Tall Leggy blonde

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 11:39pm
heres a kid

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 11:41pm
oops we were just using a wake slalom handle there!

thats a proud grandpa driving while I coached from the engine cover
This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 6:40pm
Andy,

Thanks so much for the pictures and advice. My girls are 17 and 15 and I wanted to find the best way to teach them. I would like to just borrow a video and handle until they could learn on the boom. Do you or any Correct Craft Fans out there have one they could loan me for a while. Of course I'll pay shipping both ways.

Kevin
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 10:17pm
In alot of cases; especially w/ girls because they are smaller, you can get away w/ any slalom bridle. You might condider buying a front toe-hold bridle(handle). It is slightly wider than your average slalom and as the girls progress they will have the toe-hold to use.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
skierbrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:22am
I did use a wakeboard handle last summer for my 13 year old daughter. It worked just fine. The only problem we had was that she wasn't wearing a padded suit. She just had on a regular wetsuit and she kept complaining of her rear-end hurting. She complained so much that we never were able to get her feet in the water.

I would like to get either a barefoot wetsuit or some barefoot shorts for her to wear this summer.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:21am
A barefoot suit AND padded shorts is your best answer once they move out of the swing. Particularly when learning, you want them to feel comfortable riding on their butt. The padding in the shorts plus that in the suit gives enough thickness that they will not get beat up by the water. If you are sticking with the swing, one layer should be enough but if they enjoy the barefoot sensation, the swing will get old pretty fast and they should have the dual layers.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:38am
If the handle hurting the "bum" becomes to much of an issue consider using foam pipe insulation commonly found at Home Depot or and harware store to put around the handle.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 3:17pm
Kevin, I'll look and see if I can find the video that I have. It's a VHS tape LOL.
Do you still have a player? If so you're welcome to borrow it.
If I can find it I'll contact you for your shipping address.

Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 4:34pm
Steve,

Thanks for the offer. I do still have a VHS player. If you find it ,let me know and I'll provide you an address to send to. I can paypal you the shipping cost if you like.

Kevin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 4:53pm
I would be interested in seeing the video myself, if you don't mind passing it around the country! I could transfer it to DVD.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 8:17pm
the handle/swing actually is below the butt...see the pics?

a 17 and 15 yr old girl in reasonably fit shape will have no trouble learning in the swing, its so easy and fun they will not believe it, they cannot fall. just make sure they push the boom away from the face and do not let go of the boom, they will "straight leg" it, so get them to bend the knees, and look straight ahead, not into the boat ecept to glance quickly, then back to looking ahead, keep them in the swing til they are bored and "want some more" then have them ski by holding directly to the boom and tumbling up by dragging til 15-18 maybe 20 mph then twist the hips and swing the feet with kness pointed back(away from the direction of travel) so they don't "catch and edge" then slowly put feet on water and stand up, have them repeat as necessary til bored with that, then wrap a handle tight with only a foot of "rope" from the boom and ski off it, then lengthen it a foot ...another foot...another foot til they are skiing on the 5ft...slowly progress them.

oh and they have to "want" to do it or nothing will work and everything will "hurt". you can't force them to learn it...but get just one to do it and ALL the others will want to then....just buy one...that' only 30 per girl and as you teach some of their friends you can ammortize the cost

also if they really like it...there is a ton of expensive gear that will be NEEDED! so you may as well practice spending money on barefoot gear...I am an expert at buying stuff
This is the life
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 8:55pm
Guys, I just looked for the video and I doesn't seem to be here. I believe it is at the lake and I will be up there Wed. eve so I'll look there then.
Keep Your Toes UP!
Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:36am
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

If the handle hurting the "bum" becomes to much of an issue consider using foam pipe insulation commonly found at Home Depot or and harware store to put around the handle.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely have to try that this summer!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:41am
I have used this EZ footer before to try to teach my kids, wife and did not particularly care for it. The trouble I found was it was difficult to hone in the proper combination "boom" height and rope length (seat height) of the EZ footer. Seipel says to get the skier a few inches off the water at the start, but by the time you have them up to speed, they are stiff-legged. The pictures above even show this. I think this meathod may be OK for the first few times to orient the skier to the sport, but I don't like the form the device presents. JMO.
Got Foot?
Busted Knuckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busted Knuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 6:52pm
the EZ footer is nice for the "non skier" to try and "get their feet wet" it works best with good on land instruction and a live demo with someone experienced first

the bad thing I see as a trainer is this
I general enforce "let go when you fall" I'll come back and get you........ on the boom in an EZ footer you have to HANG ON, do not let go! keep the speed down way down my kid foots @ 30mph long line on the ez footer I'd have him between 20-25mph tops as you need to keep some tension on the ez footer or it needs to be supporting the skier a little... if the ez footer is not supporting the skier @ all then it can slip out of place and again cause a potentially dangerious situation

once this is used a couple of times and the skier is ready to advance, use the boom directly and a kneeboard or wakeboard to start
again the speed will be less than long line speed

good luck and happy foot'n

Dan T @ the BKG
Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 7:36pm
once the ez footer starts falling away from the butt it means that the skier is fully supported by the feet and they are pretty much done with ez footer at that point.

it is not to teach perfect form, it is not to be used at "speed"...you go very slow, it is only to get a skier to grasp the basic fundamentals...show them that they can ski on their feet, give them a taste of the ultimate foot massage, without ever falling at all. Its simply a first baby step, training wheels to be removed as soon as balance is achieved.

everyone's natural reaction is stiff legging it...just keep yelling "bend your knees!"

maybe the most common coaching term in barefooting is "bend your knees" along with "look at the horizon" or "look forward where you are going"

the ez footer works great but you can use a 15 inch slalom handle just as well by wrapping it to the desired length.

start the kids footing, the earlier the better.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic