Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blower Location 1980 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ken Sellwood View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Sellwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blower Location 1980 SN
    Posted: March-07-2005 at 2:17am
I have a 1980 Ski Nautique and am keen to put a bilge blower in. The orignal one has been removed by a previous owner and as I don't fancy blowing the boat up I want to put another one in.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 3:39pm
The original location may have been a squirrel cage type blower screwed directly under the rear deck at a bilge vent exhaust outlet. The fan would have had a flexible hose leading into the bilge.

The best solution (IMHO) would be to attach a flexible hose to the deck outlet leading down into the bilge and attaching an inline axial blower motor. The blower can be screwed to the side of one of the main stringers (use Boatlife on the screws to prevent water intrusion to the stringer). This arrangement will exhaust harmful fumes directly from low in the bilge.
F David View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 8:43pm
Yes, and i'm sure Davids Opinion is better than that of the factory. Give me a break!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 11:19am
Huh! Yes, it is my opinion and I did not compare it to anyone elses opinion. Given the bukl, weight and cost of the original (assumption) squirrel cage fan, the axial inline fan is a cheaper solution that does the same job of exhausting bilge gases.

If you do not like my solution or opinion you can go the factory route which is why I mentioned it to begin with. It is always ultimately your decision.

Also, this board has always been about helping others out in a civilize manner. I hope it stays that way.
F David View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F  David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 12:13pm
Your "best solution" has the blower motor and the electrical connections to run it in the swamp of the bilge. Not to mention that your suggesting drilling additional holes in the stringers. All very sound advice indeed. I stand corrected.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 12:19pm
Have you seen how many screws are already anchored into the stringers? Common sense and a bit of sealant prevents damage. Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. You should NOT lay the wires directly on the bottom of the boat, but rather bring 12 volts from the original blower location via the top of the stringer. The fan is mounted high on the stringer. I have used this setup now for over five years and I am still on the same fan with no problems. But, then again, I avoid letting my bilge fill up with several inches of water!

And yes, it is sound advice that has proven to work extremely well.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 12:30pm
I think David F's opinion is better than Factory. First, the location recommended by David F is easily maintained and probably why the factory unit was never re-installed.

In some boats, replacing the factory unit requires a double watoosy body twist behind the seat, on top of the gas tank, behind the fill nozzle...enough said

The newer 90's nautiques use David F's location. Lift the hood and there she is!

IMHO means "In My Humble Opinion"
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 2:25pm
Well IMHO one is being a bit over zealous, but one thing is being over looked, now I'm not endorsing one or the other but if the fan is in a relocated area say the engine compartment then it is not possible to remove fumes from the rear (gas tank) area without and aditional fan.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 2:33pm
And didn't they redesign the boat when they moved the blower to the engine compartment. Like the front air scoop being removed and the gas tank being relocated which would allow the blower to be moved.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2005 at 1:09pm
79:

I do not think so. My '93 SN has air intakes at the bow (at the base of the windshield) and the exhaust is at the stern. My '77 Martinique is virtually the same.

Also, my Martinique has two exhaust scoops. One is connected to the fan and the other is open with no hose to exhaust the fuel tank area. The intake is ducted directly to the bilge. My '93 is set-up very similiarly.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2005 at 2:13pm
Both mine were squirrel cage at the tank with the hose running into the engine compartment so the inlet placement has remained the same.I just made them more accessible by placing them closer to the inlet hose.

I guess, the fan would have to pull the tank fumes into the engine compartment in order to vent so you definitely have me thinking again. I have 2 blowers installed and may just move one hose to the tank area.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2005 at 2:51pm
So on your 93 there are hoese connected to the vents in the bottom of the windshield? and run down to the bilge area also?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2005 at 3:56pm
Yes, absolutely! There is an air box with a hose connected. The electrical wires share the chase to the bilge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic