NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 Ski (not tique)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 Ski (not tique)
    Posted: March-31-2009 at 4:49pm
As a former Nautique owner, when I impulsively bought a Ski Supreme last week, I figured who better to ask for advice than avid CC enthusiasts... Here's a picture of it. The previous owners were obviously ignorant about installing the tower, and I'll post more specific photos... but I just wanted to make sure everyone is okay with me asking about a non-Correct Craft.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 8:05pm
After a Correct Craft from the early eighties, I like the American Skiers, then the Ski Supremes.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 10:06pm
Good looking boat! Congrats!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 11:22pm
No problem with me, I skied behind a MC for years and here it is parked next to my buddies 81 Supreme.

One word of caution on unloading that boat. Look at how close the bow support is to the rubrail....if you put that trailer in the water too deep or if the ramp is very steep the boat will slide down violently and the rubrail crashes on the bow stop. Makes a nice bit of fiberglass damage and almost caught my buddies hand in there once. It's a major design flaw with that trailer.

HW, notice the step off ski,the Penn Yann combos and our really cool foam life jacket.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2009 at 8:58pm
Thanks, you guys are awesome! I wish I had a Nautique again... Maybe someday when I'm out of school.
Your Nautiques are insanely pristine! Great boats.

Alan - That jacket and those skis are classic... they remind me of learning to ski.
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2009 at 9:15pm
Also, thanks for the heads up on the trailer. I just went out and inspected the bow closely... Apparently, they had the same problem because there's some sort of filler covering where they jacked it up.

The trailer came without a jack, so when I went to look before I bought it, the bow was lower than the transom. Oh well, I got it for what I think is really cheap... but what do I know? Do you think $2800 is a steal? Besides the numerous cosmetic flaws, the motor and transmission run really smooth.

I'll post some up close pics for advice on fiberglass repair in a bit.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2009 at 10:00pm
A steal will depend upon how much you have to put into it along the way. Assuming it runs well, and you don't have any major problems, how could you not get your money's worth for $2800. One summer of fun ought to cover that. BKH
Livin' the Dream

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2009 at 10:36pm
Looks like a great buy to me! Nice to see some more young people enjoying classic boats and not just pimped out wake rides! I've always liked the old ski supremes! Lets see more pics!
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 11:19pm

Would wet sanding the entire body with 2000 grit be a bad idea? Any suggestions?

Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 5:57pm
I just wanted to add that if a Correct Craft was not avliable at a tournament for trick skiing that Ski Supreme was said to have the next closest wake to the Ski Nautique during the mid to late 80's! That is what my son (skierox) used and he did well behind the supreme. Great price considering that on a new boat the trailer alone will most likely cost more than your total investment!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 6:04pm
Wet sanding will certainly help to bring back the shine of the gel coat, and if you plan to leave the decals off, is probably the only way you will be able to hide the lettering marks. There are a lot of threads on wetsanding, if you do a search. Folks have recommended various grits. BKH
Livin' the Dream

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 2:18am
Ryan,
   As Bk suggested. . . run to the hardware store and get some wetsanding paper, read the different threads for instructions and have at it! I started on my skier last week and the results are amazing!

Are you going to replace the decals of leave it "naked"? I think it would look awesome without em!
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 3:37am
Paul -
I couldn't agree with you more. This can be just as fun as a new $60k SAN, but without the worry.
Today, even though there were 40+ mph gusts, I decided I couldn't wait to see what the wake looked like. I hastily got insurance, called up a couple buddies and was in the water... but not for very long. I won't say, because I feel like an idiot, but the picture pretty much gives it away... and yes, I did put the plug in.

Brian and Chris-
Thanks for the suggestion. I got home from the lake, and went straight to autozone, getting 1k and 2k grit. My process is using a spray bottle with warm water, I wet the surface and sand, followed by a quick spray and squeege to assess progress. There is still a ghost from the decals though. I'm thinking I need to move down to 800. Chris, what grit did you start with?
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 3:51am
I'm wasn't sure about the decals... The thought of leaving it bare and clean had crossed my mind. You basically just decided for me though... It's the best choice.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 6:06am
Ryan, I started with 320 grit on the parts below the waterline where it was really oxidized. Then moved to 600 then 800 and then 1200. It took quite a while but the results are worth it! I then buffed with some compound and waxed. Shines like new!!

You can see how bad the transom was in my video...the pic is after I got done with one side. Sorry for the side ways photo

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 11:51am
The plug but not the block or manifold drain plugs?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 12:40pm
didn't seal the old swim platform mounting holes in the transom??
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 2:16pm
Man Chris, I don't think that could look any better. Thanks for the info.

Nick and Joe- I was sure to put the plug, and the block plug in... I'm in the middle of re-oiling the teak, and didn't take the time to consider how fast the water would come in through the swim deck holes. I'll be sure NOT to let that happen again! I know this may sound absurd, especially to you guys, but I learned by experience that motor cover =/= airtight seal; thus resulting in a little too much extra ballast. I didn't actually think that, but more like I just disregarded it. I wonder when I'll learn to apply all of the stuff from physics/chemistry... It'd probably be quite helpful.

Joe- Your 2001... Damn! Every time I see one of you guys' boats, it makes me wonder what I could have made my '79 look like. I sold it before it was finished. I'll have to post some photos.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 11:46am
What an '82 brown 'preme looks like without the gaudy letters...
Brown-hulled boats rock, no staining but the sun beats up the sides. Mine was chalk-white when I got it.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:18pm
Wow, that's a very good look.
On a tangent... when I took mine out the other day, I felt like a giant driving the thing. The windshield only goes up to about my chin. Maybe it's the seat I have, but do you seem to sit up pretty high in yours?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:30pm
Unlike the Nautique, the driving arangement is to look over the windshield, not through it. The later models had a lower seat pedastal.
Your arrangement provided the best field-of-view. You may need all you got with the tuna-tower.

I replaced my front seat with one from Todd industries, and matched the interior to that.

My seat height is now lower than yours, but not as low as the '86-up boats.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:33pm
Gotta Ski, do you still own the Supreme? BKH
Livin' the Dream

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:41pm
Yup, thats still mine, don't anticipate an upgrade for quite a while.

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:46pm
Looks to be in very good shape. Out here, there are still a lot of Supremes around, but most I've seen are beat to hell.

There's a guy who lives one bay over from me who owns the current Supreme company. I don't think they sell a lot of units these days. BKH
Livin' the Dream

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 2:58pm
Must be tough in that business now,

Mine was beat to hell too, almost ready for the heap. Lots of turd polish, but its my turd.

River Rat to Mole
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 7:56pm
Tom, it's great to see someone with the same boat. I'm going to have to pick your brain... Was your gauge bezel extremely weathered and beat up? If so, what was your solution? Do you have an owners manual? Did you replace your rub-rail? Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Brian, would that be the owner of Kal Kustoms? I called them to find out where I could find spare parts or an owners manual, and they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. It might be smart for them to find an aftermarket manufacturer, seeing as how the market has taken a nosedive and most people will be sticking with used boats. Not that this would ever happen, but can you imagine calling Correct Craft about that and being told they didn't know?
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:25am
Two more things (for now): Do you have the original trailer?
Mine is missing a prop/ rudder guard, bunks, and a winch post.
If so, could you post some photos whenever you get a chance?

Could you tell me what the switches on the dash
are as far a bilge, blower, etc.

Thanks

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:15am
No Bunks?!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:19am
Ryan, the neighbor I referenced does own Kal Kustoms. However, Kal Kustoms is a much bigger enterprise than Supreme boats. Kal Kustoms is the sole distributor of Sanger, I believe the sole distributor of Centurion, and I believe the west coast distributor of Cigarette. They have some sort of ownership in Reinell, Blue Water, and others. I don't know for a fact, but the rumor around here is that Carl gave the Supreme company to his daughter.

I thought that they could be more helpful, but, unless you find an old timer, it does not surprise me. If I recall, back when your boat was made, the Supreme company was in Tennessee. There have been several changes of hands and the boats are now made out here in CA. I'm not sure if they're made by Fineline in Merced, or one of the others. I doubt there are many, if any, around the company that have any knowledge of the old boats.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 3:26am
Chris, I kinda had a brain-fart there. Not sure why I called them bunks, but I meant the carpeted boards that prevent the wheel wells from coming in contact with the sides of the boat.

Brian, thanks for the info. Come to think of it, I peeled off the Tennessee registration last week. This community is probably way more helpful than the manual would have been anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic