Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

65 Floor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AMSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 Floor
    Posted: February-08-2004 at 11:11pm
I have a 1965 Am Skier. I want to replace the floor boards. Not sure what was original. Right now it looks like CDX plywood painted.
Any pics or suggestions. thanks
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2004 at 1:01pm
a restoration guy has a photo of the stringer lay out in the diaries section.

my '72 has individual floor sections that are held down with T strips. if this is what's rotten, just use the old sections as a template. there is pressure treated plywood, marine grade plywood(voidless) and some high dollar never rot out there.

if your talking about the 'sole', try to cut out a complete section with a very short jigsaw blade and take it from there. you should coat the plywood with resin instead of paint. there is polyester type and epoxy type resins. study up on each kind. epoxy is stronger, but polyester sticks better to old work. both smell real good........
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2004 at 12:50pm
i'm going to use this old milk jugs and cudzu stuff next time around.

this is the plywood page

i have no idea of the cost, but you might find something similar locally.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 7:21am
I have a '64 Skier and the floor was in several pieces and had the Correct Craft Logo on the bottom so I'm assuming they were Original. It's painted plywood. The floor was attached with brass screws. Carpet was two pieces with the seam under the front seat.

When removed the floor, I was checking the stringer that the engine mounts on and found out it was ruined from water. You may want to check out yours to ensure it's OK. The fiberglass was holding up well though and fully supporting the engine. It was easy to change the beam.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 10:14am
TOM. when you say the 'sole'would that be the layer of fiberglass over all the foam and stringers ect? then the plywood on top of the sole?
kenny g
AMSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 11:06am
Originally posted by 64 Skier 64 Skier wrote:

I have a '64 Skier and the floor was in several pieces and had the Correct Craft Logo on the bottom so I'm assuming they were Original. It's painted plywood. The floor was attached with brass screws. Carpet was two pieces with the seam under the front seat.

When removed the floor, I was checking the stringer that the engine mounts on and found out it was ruined from water. You may want to check out yours to ensure it's OK. The fiberglass was holding up well though and fully supporting the engine. It was easy to change the beam.

AMSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 11:14am
Your 64 skier sounds about identical to my 65. I had no carpet and the stringer on right side has begun to rot so I filled some of it with West epoxy. Your right, the fiberglass around the stringer is holding up well.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 5:44pm
kenny, the sole is what you walk on. it has evolved over the years. some are straight plywood, some are resined in plywood and some are just glass.

i think that sheet pvc is the ultimate solution.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 6:29pm
sheet PVC? how thick is it?sounds ok if i go with carpet,not sure yet.i did call renew resources in canada [polyboard]there sending me a couple of samples in the mail.anyway the lady said she don't think they can ship 4x8 sheets this far.they are the only north american distributorship.i still have to cut out the fiberglass,rip out the foam ect when i get the boat back.they painted the top on monday &might paint the hull tomorrow.i still cant figure out how to resize & send pictures but i'm working on it.
kenny g
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 7:01pm
if you don't have any photo software, microsoft paint will work.

open paint.
open the photo. .jpg or whatever.
click the image button.
select 'stetch/skew'.
type in 50 in the percent box.
save as.
wala.

i have uploaded once. you'll have to post the image elsewhere and use an img tag.

somebody in the us will carry a similar product. they showed different available thickness(es) on another page. 12x the strength of plywood is b.s.

the thompson register would be a good place to start looking for us suppliers.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 8:15pm
Have any of you checked into the material "Divinicell".Never did much research on it but John Griviskis on shipshape tv did a bertram floor and a formula floor with it.Stuff is supposed to be impenetrable.Would like to hear from anyone who has used it?? Thanks.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 8:19pm
I replaced the stringers in my "66" Wildcat with custom cut resin coated white oak. it origanally had 3/4" plywood stringers with brass screws securing the sole, or (floor), down. most of the brass screw heads had broken off, causing the floor to rise, and creak. I used 2"X4" oak with 1 1/2 x 4" 5005 aluminum alloy angles, on both sides of the 2x4 to secure them to the main beams with stainless screws. I fastened the port and starboard sides down thru the top into the outer beams with stainless screws also, taking care not to drill and screw thru the hull! I used 17/32" plywood, double resin coated, I first used a waterproof construction adhesive, (liquid nails) on top of all the stringers, and main beams. I then laid all the plywood pieces down, pilot drilled with countersink, and screwed down with stainless screws. I put in a few extra stringers, especially where the seats mount and the engine compartment hinges, and on the back side of the access for the packing gland for the drive shaft. I can now have a waterskiing elephant on board.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 8:53pm
hey wallace,are you located in erlanger ky?i'm 10 min away in florence
371-1852.use williamstown lake much?
kenny g
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2004 at 2:03am
Yeah, I'm in Erlanger. My e-mail is bigredskidog@fuse.net.
h2oskeefreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 7:05pm
there is a product from TACO marine called starboard lumber. you can buy it at WEST MARINE/BOAT US or thier evil competitor. It's basically polysomethingorother lumber. it's plastic but cuts like wood, it's expensive but awesome.
Jake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2004 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by kenny g kenny g wrote:

sheet PVC? how thick is it?sounds ok if i go with carpet,not sure yet.i did call renew resources in canada [polyboard]there sending me a couple of samples in the mail.anyway the lady said she don't think they can ship 4x8 sheets this far.they are the only north american distributorship.i still have to cut out the fiberglass,rip out the foam ect when i get the boat back.they painted the top on monday &might paint the hull tomorrow.i still cant figure out how to resize & send pictures but i'm working on it.
Jake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2004 at 7:02pm
OOps. Leave it to the new guy.

Hey Kenny G, are you doing the painting on your boat or having it done?

I've got a Blue Hulled '79 Nautique that I am about to start working on. I'm just in the gathering info stage right now. I plan on repainting (or Gel Coating) the hull first then move on to the engine next winter. I remember on the old "Nautique Fan" site, there was a guy who painted Emron (sp) on his hull and it turned out pretty good.

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic