Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BF Boom Safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:37pm
That's it!   Found it on eBay about 5 years ago.

FrankT
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:55pm
The around the boat vid: Looks like you are pulling from the top of the extended pylon. I am curious. Is that SOP? Are those pylons sturdy enough to take the pull toward the front of the boat, with no support cable toward the rear of the boat?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I have a contour boom on my 81 which you would typically use a straight boom on. I actually mount the contour to the FRONT to get the footer forward away from the spray.   

Guys,

I am looking to pick-up a BI Boom this Off-Season. I have a 80 Ski Nautique and I have been wondering if I can use the Straight Contour Boom on my boat? By Straight Contour I mean the one with only one contour in it as opposed to the double contour for longer shieldshileds.

From Allen's post above it looks like you can. However, I have been told that the contour boom is easier to step over. Is this really so? Does it really matter? I know the staight boom will work for my boat, but I am curious if the Contour will make it easier to move to the back of the boat my not having to step as high over the boom?

It seems like most of the used Booms I have found are the contour type. I also read Tim's notes where he stated that using the contour boom could effect the total height that you can raise the boom to for tricks and such. I under stand that the double contour booms are to get around the longer windshields that are on the new boats and the other makes. Mine is a 80 so the Windshield is not a problem.

My question is will the contour boom really make it easier to cross in a 80 SN Boat? I am now thinking that I really need the straight boom. My kids and I used a BI Boom this summer on a 2004 Air Nautique and it was great to teach kids to Ski. That is my goal. I want my kids to ski and wakeboard from the boom. I may try to barefoot if my life insurance is paid up.

Thanks,

Donald
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:37pm
Donald, I dont see why you couldnt use the straight contour. From the skier's perspective it would function the same as a straight boom. Alan was clever enough to flip the universal contour forward instead of backwards, but not all universals can be swapped like this. I know Brad (Barracuda) had to have the end of his universal machined and redrilled to allow this. Anything that gets the boom more forward is a good thing, as it moves the skier out of the spray.

I think a straight boom would be the easiest and most straightforward to find though. I have only seen one straight contour- most are universals... but all 3 styles could be made to work with your boat.

The contoured ones are a little easier to maneuver around, but they all present a good hurdle to get over!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 5:16pm
Tim,

I was hoping that I would hear from you. You added a lot of good input to this post. I now realize that Allen is doing something different than I thought. I now understand what Allen is doing.   I am just going to go for a Straight Boom. I just did not want to purchase a straight one to find out that the coutoured is the way to go. I have too many other projects on this boat to do already. I do not want to be modifing a boom.

Thanks and it was great meeting you last summer ( late October 2008) at Reid's house. We used my boat as a plateform to change out some props on Reid's boats that were hanging from his cable lifts.

Thanks,

Donald
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 5:30pm
Donald, I remember it well... bummer the timing wasnt better for you to make Reid's again this year.

I like the straight booms because theyre simple... easy to store and carry, where the contoured ones are a little more awkward. I like how all the SN's prior to the new 200 could use straight booms where most tournament inboards couldnt due to their swept back windshields. Just my preference I guess!
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:04pm
Donald,
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the straight BI boom as well. Also want to be sure to get the boom extension as I'm told with both our boats, the spray can be tough. I really want to run mine off of the drivers side as it would make docking easier and it wouldn't be in the way of passengers in the observers seat, but i'm thinking that the weight of the driver must make this impractical since not many people seem to do it.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:29pm
The contoured booms are popular because the other MFG's pylons all taper towards the top, so they must clamp near the floor. If they used a straight boom it'd be pretty high up in the air. The bend is not there to make moving around the boat easier, that is a side effect. Add in a sweeping I/O style windshield and now you must have a double contour. A straight boom is not a problem, add a height adjuster if you run an extended pylon.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:29pm
I´m also in the hunt for any style BI boom used...yes the extension is a must even on my no wake zone hull the spray was hard on my ankles..I have now the extension but no boom
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Donald,
Also want to be sure to get the boom extension as I'm told with both our boats, the spray can be tough. I really want to run mine off of the drivers side as it would make docking easier and it wouldn't be in the way of passengers in the observers seat

The extension is almost a must with boat that has alot of chine spray. You could go out to your side, but some boaters panic when meeting driver to driver as some maritime laws require. Also, the double contour might be in order in that case. Call Mike at BI, he'll set you straight, but he can sometimes be a little long winded. I think BI products are the best(booms anyway).
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:01pm
Guys,

Thanks for the help. My daughters used the extension for the end of the boom that is a small diameter for kids. That was also a big help on my friends 2004 Air Nautique. The smaller diameter helps the kids get a good grip on the boom. However, I realize you guys are talking about an extension for the center section of the boom.

You guys have cleared up the easy to cross over issue. I am a fat man so jumping hurdles all day long can be a problem. LOL !!

Donald
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:02pm
If you are going to use it with children I would strongly reccomend the straight boom.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:16pm
Ryan,

Thanks. I will primary use it with my 13 and 10 year old girls to improve their Sking technique. I want them to knee board and Wake Board off of it just to get a better feel before long lining. I was able to get my youngest up on comb skis on long line, but it took a boom to get my 13 year old up.

It will also help me to progress from where I am at with my sking skills. Or not at.

Thanks,

Donald
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 10:35pm
That's all we use ours for, your kids will need it for about 2 days at most. The nice thing is that their friends can use it to get up on and get a feel for things and have some success quickly. It is so much easier than dragging them around on a long line for 2 or 3 visits.

I usually give them about 5 rides on the boom, then put them on the handle section. They all seem to cheat and use the boom to their advantage so I get them off of it before it becomes a bad habit. About 4 or 5 successful attempts on the handle in a row and they are ready to go for the long line. The only real problem that we have is everyone usually gets 1 set an evening and there are very few who have the energy to do all 3 in one trip. This year we mostly kneeboarded, and nobody needed the boom to get the hang of that. My son has been ridding a hydrofoil since he was 6 and we spent about 3 or 4 nights working on that before he long lined it. The kids don't get enough speed on one to be able to hit the side of the boat, the adults do so they all go long line.

Much better than teaching them how to tube!!
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 11:54pm
what about running it off of the drivers side guys? is the weight distribution just to much to overcome? it seems that nobody does it, but if it worked it would seem more practical for docking, wouldn't have to step over it, etc.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 12:23am
You can if you like to be up and personal with the dash.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 11:46am
And wet, which is a violation of the first rule of skiing on the boom.
CPDewey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPDewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2010 at 12:11am
If that is the boom in question, It is definitly a Casad "Brett Wing" I have one just like it. Great boom!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic