NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finding a wakeboard

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding a wakeboard
    Posted: June-04-2009 at 5:36pm
So, I'm an ex-college slalom skier and avid barefooter who's been out of the sport since 1995. Now that I'm old and tired, I want to get a wakeboard for me and my buddies to goof around on this summer, but I don't even know where to begin. When I was skiing everyday, the "skurfer" had just hit the market. We had fun with it until one of the fins sliced my buddies calf muscle in half!

We're all in the six foot/ 160 to 180 lb range. I surf and skateboard goofy foot, but some of my friends surf regular. Are the bindings on these things reversible?

Anyway, some suggestions on what to look for on craig's list or ebay would be great. I don't want to drop a bunch of dough for a pro level board. Just something fun to kick around on.

Thanks!
JJ
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
jrmcmich View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrmcmich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2009 at 8:12pm
You should set the bindings to be slightly pointed outwards about shoulder width or so apart. This should allow both goofy foot and regular riding. You may look on wakeworld.com for more info about particular boards and bindings.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2009 at 8:59pm
You need a board 142 in length. The newer boards are symmetrical so there is no front or back, like jrmcmich said, set the boots either perpendicular to the edge or the toes slightly apart. Sharing a board with several is great if everyone has the same size feet. Some style boots have more adjustment in size.
Tim D
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2009 at 9:08pm
   Something in the 140 range would work. 138-142 or so. If you go 138,make it a wide one. More surface area will make it easier/ allow you to ride at slower speeds. Check Boarders Best Buy for deals on gear,they are right in Cali. The info posted above should get you in the ballpark as far as stance. The board size is based on weight moreso than height.Larger boards tend to land softer & get better pop,but may be slightly more cumbersome to manuever. Have fun!

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2009 at 10:31pm
Sweet! Thanks for the info guys. I'll start digging around.

JJ
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 12:53pm
Do a google search for "wakeboard clearance" "wakeboard closeout" "wakeboard blow out" "wakeboard sale." You will find sights such as boardersbestbuy, evogear.com, us-wakesupply.com, adrenaline watersports, the-house.com, and others. All have very good deals on boards, particularly boards that are a year or two old. Stay away from real high end boards. They have very pronounced edges and you'll do an awful lot of faceplanting when you catch an edge. Don't buy the cheapest beginner board either, as you'll quickly exceed the level of the board. A good solid intermediate board is the choice. My $.02. BKH
Livin' the Dream

37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 3:28pm
Hey BKH, thanks for the links. I'm thinking intermediate too. Mostly, I'm looking for cool graphics cuz I'm told that's what the kids are into these days...

Hey, I'm gonna be up at the Delta next weekend! Probably on a friends boat fishing, though. Hoping for a nice mellow warm day. It's been cold and windy here on the coast.

Take Care,
JJ
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 4:03pm
How about this one??

Wakeboard

size 139???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 5:28pm
The Omega would be fine on the board. They do make it in a 143. Don't know much about the House brand bindings. Probalby have them made by Liquid Force, but I don't know.

In my experience, the boots are more important than the board.

I haven't bought a board in 4 years so I am starting to get out of touch with what to suggest. Omega and Trip and EVO were always good mid range boards from Liquid Force. Motive from hyperlite has been a midrange standard for years.

Ronix, CWB, Gator, all have midrange boards, but I'm less familiar with them.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 5:31pm
P.S. It's kind of gloomy up in the Delta right now as well.

I'm supposed to be around this weekend. Drop me note.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 6:07pm
June gloom... not as bad as what they get down south, but it still plays with your mind a bit. Looks like I'm going fishing at Disappointment Slough on the 14th. I don't know where that is though. Next time we get up there with our Nautique I'll drop you a line. Would be fun to meet up!

So, do you think 143 would be better then 138? Only a few centimeters, I'm not sure how much it matters. I go between 160 and 165 depending on my motivation level. Probably the biggest guy in our group is Candy Andy and he's 5'11 pushing 180 or 185. Maybe better to go bigger?

Thanks for the input!

JJ
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 7:07pm
No, if your crew is all under 2 bills, you'll be fine with 139. With a bigger board, you pop right up (not that it will be hard on a 139 I am 230 lb. and can certainly ride a 139), and can ride a bit slower. But the longer the board, the more you have to swing around with tricks, etc.

If you're looking for a "boat board" and you have bigger riders, go with the 142 or 143, which will be ok but a bit big for the 160-180 guys, and also ok for the bigger guys.

For you individually, a 137-139 is about right. Some at 160 would ride a bit shorter board. The pros would ride longer. But remember, the pros have stomach muscles like a bodybuilder, they're young, and they are looking to go as high, far, and fast as possible.

Buy what you want, and if the others don't like it, tell them to buy their own.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 12:15am
   The Omega 139 is a great board. Mine has taught many to ride and my wife still occasionally hops on it for a trip around the lake. It does land slightly rough for bigger guys and it's pretty sticky with the stock fins(but it tracks well) .IMO ,the Witness 140 is a much better all around board and is really user friendly. I'd spend a little extra and get a close-out Witness,you'll be happier as you progress.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 4:54pm
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I ended up getting a Ronix Mana from boarder's best buy. The price was right and the graphics aren't bad!! Anyway, looking forward to trying it out. Let's just hope the boat starts!

Take care and thanks again,

JJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic