NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

soft spot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: soft spot
    Posted: July-07-2009 at 2:54pm
So after reading some of the horror stories of soaked floatation foam I'm now wondering if I might have the same problem with my boat. I have a 93 SN with 680 hours which I bought last summer. I've noticed since day one that there was a soft spot in the floor just aft of the observers seat next to the doghouse. The other thing that kind of scares me is that the boat has so spider cracks on the deck just below the side glass on the passenger side. Could these cracks be an indication of some structural problems caused by the saturation? How do I check for saturation without tearing out the carpet?
I must add that it's obvious that this boat has been well cared for over the years which is the reason why I bought it.
Am I just paranoid or what??
Thanks
Glen
93 Ski Nautique
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:05pm
Being a 93, at least you won't have to worry about the stringers. They are fiberglass instead of wood...
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:07pm
I believe that there is still a sheet of plywood flooring that runs from the motor forward that may be delaminating though.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:11pm
I guess I lucked out with the stringers, because I had no idea they were composite until a few weeks ago, after reading a bunch of posts on this forum. Do you think that the foam may offer some structural rigidity? Do composite stringers have problems with water intrusion?
93 Ski Nautique
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:17pm
You may have some water intrusion, but being closed cell foam (Also a plus on your side)I don't think that it will retain the water. It may be sloshing between the foam and hull though. I can't honestly say how much of a problem that may be. I would think not much. The stringers and anything else under there SHOULDN'T be affected. Maybe someone else can chime in...
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by ripster92 ripster92 wrote:

I believe that there is still a sheet of plywood flooring that runs from the motor forward that may be delaminating though.

Not true- no wood in the floor or stringers starting in '93.
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by ripster92 ripster92 wrote:

Not true- no wood in the floor or stringers starting in '93.

Thanks Tim. I wasn't sure...
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:26pm
Another thing to note, although coincidental to where the wood stringer boats tend to get soft, is that years of impact, ie jumping in, dropping anchors on the floor, can compact the foam making a void between the glass and foam.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:41pm
If everything is sealed up, how do water get down there anyways?
What did they use for the floor??
So can I breath a sigh of relief now?
What should I do about the spider cracks? Should I dremel a "V" groove fill with gelcoat and sand/polish, or is there a write-up I can refer too?
93 Ski Nautique
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 4:20pm
The floor is glass over the foam. Water will eventually find it's way into anything on a boat... Just the nature of the beast. There are plenty of write-ups on here regarding spider cracking and gelcote. Just do a search on gelcoat or spider crack. Hope that helps.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 4:22pm
Thanks for all the help guys.
Glen
93 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic