NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft log hose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft log hose
    Posted: July-21-2009 at 2:42am
Anyone know a source for 1-1/2" shaft log hose? everyone seems to stock 1-3/4". What kind of hose is shaft log hose?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 12:50pm
They have alot of sizes at napa,for fuel filler hose in about 18 inch lengths.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 1:22pm
Ask for Keith at Standard Auto Parts. One block north of 518 on 35 in Pearland. (281) 485-1402.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 2:07pm
SkiDim had it too, when I did mine. Probably cheaper at an auto store, make sure it is wire reinforced.   It is a boatch to get on the log,   heat it, beat it, and double clamp it on both ends. Boat Dr said to boil it to get it pliable enough to get on there. Of course, this was after I put mine on....
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 7:25pm
Wire reinforced? Are you sure about that?
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 8:23pm
Pretty sure mine is wire reinforced.
93 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 2:31pm
Of course they did not use it on the boats originally, but I think it makes sense. Just like that is what we use for our exhaust now. I don't see a downside, other than it being harder to get on to the log.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 3:11pm
I just got off the phone with Vince at SKIDIM. Vince advised against wire reinforced hose because, he said, if the shaft is slightly off-center the hose needs to be able to conform to prevent a leak. He said wire reinforced hose should never be used for shaft log hose.

Dude, thanks for the Standard Auto tip. They were out of 1-1/2" hose when I got there. I was out that direction anyway.

SKIDIM has the hose even though it is not one their website.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 3:32pm
That little piece of hose has been a nightmare to me. I could not get 2 different types of wire hose on without lengthening the hose because the the wire makes it hour glass.

I found some hose sold as shaft log hose that is thicker than usual, but is not wire re enforced. After checking the shaft on our 03 Malibu, it appears the same stuff as used on that, and I bet the Orange Crush has it too. It's made by Buck Aloquin.

It's a lot thicker. I have not had time to try to install it yet.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=52033F

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 4:07pm
Funny,   Vince is the one that sold me the hose..... And knew what it was for.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

I just got off the phone with Vince at SKIDIM. Vince advised against wire reinforced hose because, he said, if the shaft is slightly off-center the hose needs to be able to conform to prevent a leak. He said wire reinforced hose should never be used for shaft log hose.

SKIDIM has the hose even though it is not one their website.

I'd have to say that Skidim doesn't have the wire reinforced and would love to sell you what they do have!!

If your shaft stuffing box is off center then you need a strut alignment.

I have seen the hose twisted apart due to a packing failure locking up. Wire is the only way to go!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 2:14pm
^^ that is the impression I was under when I did mine this Spring, hence why I asked for it.^^
Mike N

1968 Mustang

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 5:10pm
I used wire reinforced for the reason Pete mentioned; saw that with my last boat. Also, I found the top of an 8lb anchor to be just the tool for persuasion.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 3:33pm
JIH, I found some great hose if you're still looking. I've got some extra.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 3:40pm
Riley, I just received some "shaft log" hose from SKIDIM. It is actually heavy wall exhaust hose. I would like to know what kind of hose you received as "shaft log" hose. Jim S.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 3:48pm
Jim, I've been beating my head against the wall with this since May. The 1st 2 hoses I tried were 1.5" ID wire re enforced. I boiled them and beat the heck out of them with a small sledge hammer. The only way they would work was if I lengthened the hose from 3.5" to 4.5". I did not want to do that. I then bought the non wire specially made shaft log hose from the web site above. The hose is so thick, it does not bend and will not fit on the shaft log as there is so little clearence underneath. I found some hose at NAPA by mistake and it is perfect. It is heavy duty fabric re enforced. It is much better than what was on there for 40 years and was soft enough to slip over the huge lip on the stuffin box and thin enough to slip all the way on the shaft log. I believe mine is some sort of water hose.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic