NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Little pieces of rotten wood...!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Little pieces of rotten wood...!
    Posted: July-31-2009 at 6:43am
Last weekend I found three pieces of rotten wood in the bilge...!!
They where lying in the bilge water just in front of the drain plug.
Last year I also found a little piece in the same place.
I removed the back seat, the floor board and the engine cover to check my stringers and to check if there where any soft spots in the floor. Nothing... not even in front of the passenger seat or the driver seat. When the boat sat on the trailer I also checked for cracks in the gelcoat. Nothing either. Everything feels rock solid.

Can anyone tell me where these pieces of wood come from? Could they be from the bulkhead between the battery box and the bilge?

I planned to do a complete restore in the winter after I return from my tour in Afghanistan (best way to spend the extra money from that mission, and, even my wife agrees!), Because I know I'll have to do the mandatory stringer job anyway. Problem is that this will be in the winter of 2010-2011...

So I need to know if my baby will be able to pull the show team this season and even next summer... Otherwise, our club will need to find another solution for next season...
But, no question about it that the boat comes first! I want to keep her for many years to come, so I do not intend to beat her up...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 10:19am
Probably just a troll putting rotten wood in your boat

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Can anyone tell me where these pieces of wood come from? Could they be from the bulkhead between the battery box and the bilge?

They could be from the bulkhead. Mine was just a thin piece of ply that wasn't really sealed well. When I pulled it out, it came out in many pieces. My floors felt very solid too until I pulled the driver seat base up. I'm sure I could have used it for quite a few more years as was but I didn't want to put a new interior on the rotten floor.

Here is a pic of my bulkhead before I pulled it. The darker area at the bottom was mush.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 2:04pm
I wouldnt worry, I bet they fell from Kapla's bag on his visit there...

I think you should heep using the boat until you decide to rebuild it.
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 2:29pm
Don't panic, man.

You need to subscribe to the L.I.D. school of mechanics - Let it Develop - when it has developed, it becomes obvious what the problem is!

I used to work for a haulier whose mechanic used to tell you that, worse, of an unknown noise he would say "not sure what that is, we'll let it develop and whatever it is will fall off when it's had enough"
Easily Parted From Money
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 2:43pm
I agree if everything appears solid and your lags are holding, waiting a couple seasons before the full restore isnt being a bad boat owner.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 2:45pm
Exactly, don't panic.

The Engine/Pylon cradle handles the bulk of the stress.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 5:34pm
Thanks for the replies guys... Do feel a little more reassured
But, tomorrow, I'll take a little mirror with me and a flash light. Just wanna see what's going on under that floor board in front of the engine...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 9:55pm
don't panic dude..that boat feels and pulls like new!!! mine could have lasted a few more seasons also!!! but as engine rebuilt was on the way I decided to go all toghether and forget about it for 20 more years!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 4:27am
Kristof maybe you could use the Pete method. Drill a couple of holes in the stringers low with a hole saw. Let the blade just cut through the glass shell and remove. The drill bit will have gone deeper into the timber and will give a bit more of a indication of stringer condition.

This large inspection hole should give you a indication of stringer rot. My 89 seems to be in similar condition to yours. The stringers all sound solid and the lags tighten down good. I replaced the centre rear floor piece as it was bad when I first got the boat from US. The glass around the stringers is solid with no signs of cracking or delamination. The front floor piece seems solid also but I bet there is some water in the foam under the floor.

I have been meaning to do the Pete hole saw check of stringers. But have been hesitant in case I found something that I dont like the look of.

Tell you what Kristof if you are game enough I am in also.
I was planning on doing two inspection holes in each stringer one a bit behind rear of engine cradle and another as close to the front of boat as accessible with the hole saw. Maybe Pete could offer further suggestions on best points for inspection holes.

Kristof after attending a CCfan reunion. I can offer this advice. The only problem is that it is a bit like the site in that you will have to go back for more.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 4:43am
I doubt it is the stringers. I would guess either the bulkhead as depicted above, or the plywood flooring that surrounds the pylon, and hangs over into the engine compartment is starting to rot away. I had lots of little rotten pieces of this plywood when I tore into mine. BKH
Livin' the Dream

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 10:23am
I'll double what BKH had to say.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 10:38am
To add kristof, You're as good of a friend as I could hope to meet overseas...all these tubs need some help!

And don't think I won't darken your door someday.       
1988 BFN-sold

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 11:27pm
Hey Greg arrived back in Australia on Saturday. How are things down your way. Really enjoyed our trip to the US. The highlight of the trip was the CCfan reunion and meeting all the great people there.

Have not listened to your Buffalo music yet the player in the car did not like the disks. Great to see you and Tim boarding in the Morfoot sighting thread will add some more comments there when I get some more time. Back to work already that holiday feeling is disappearing fast.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 10:23am
BTW, Lewy that was on of my highlights of meeting you and the wife, so far away but common interests. now everytime i hear an Aussie on the tube i think of you 2
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 10:24am
Hey Lewy, it was great to meet you and Jo!

Well, the water is warm.   

Enjoy the tunes. My favorite in that group is 'long songs'. Jeb(lead guitarist and vocals) plays some funky chords.

Take care and let me know if you need the disks in a different format.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic