Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

buying nautique this week!! need help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
h2oskeefreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: buying nautique this week!! need help
    Posted: February-18-2004 at 10:20pm
guys, this is my first post here, but i'm sure i'll make many more.

I am looking at what the owner claims to be a 1989 sport nautique. NADA lists no '89 sport, and correct craft says no such thing (according to broshure)

Is there anyway to decode a Hull ID?

it is ctc17086D989.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 9:22am
Hey Freek, I'm not real verse in my nautiques as far as history goes but I think that the only diff in an 89, 2001 is that CC went to a single exhaust instead of duals as in the previous years. I don't know when CC added a "sport" nautique to the line up. For all I know the sport may just have a few bells and whistles than comapared to your standard SN. Kinda klike and eddy bower edition vs XLT model. Then again I might not know what the H%!! I'm talking about either.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 10:17am
I think the sport didn't start for a few more years 91 or 92 i believe they where all open bow versions and prior to that they where call ski nautique open bow. E-mail CC with the haul number or give them a call and they can straighten things out for you.
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 5:52pm
I bought my Ski Nautique new in July of '89, and they had Sport Nautiques on the lot. It may have been an early '90 boat, because it does appear in the 90 brochure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 6:01pm
thanks guys, i verified with Jeff Warner at CC that it is a 1989. Unfortunatly there is no NADA value, so my bank will only value a 1989 at 80% of the 1990 value without documentation. So i dunno what i'm gonna do, i guess i'll have to start looking at MC's and bu's again. I was so excited that I might actually be able to join this great Correct Craft family.

By the way, Janelle and Jeff at CC are the bomb. they were willing to talk to my bank and explain that it was a late model year boat, and that it's "close enough" to a 1990, but my bank basically doesn't care. The title says 1989.

by the way guys, the last 2 numbers of the CTC# are the year, and the first series is the hull style. 17XXX is sport nautique (at least in 1989)

And morfoot, sport nautiques are open bow ski nautiques. In some years, 1989 for instance it also has a molded swim platform rather than teak.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 6:56pm
Don't sell your self short and buy a junk MC try another bank or somewhere else to finance it before you give up on the best class of boats. Try and talk the guy down, nit pick the boat and make him see he is charging to much. Check the haul for blisters, soft spots in the floor, nicks and dinks, high hours, lapsed maintenance, problems with the trailer or non factory add on's hell anything that works, bring up the bank say's it's only worth this amount of money what ever you can do to make him change his mind and go back more than a week later or a couple of days later. Maybe everyone else thinks he's asking to much also and with time he'll come down on the price.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2004 at 9:55am
Well there you have it! Thanks for esplainin it to me. How much is the guy asking for the rig. What kinda shape is it in,and how many hours are on her? Basically everything that 79nautique suggested. Does it have a teak paltform and are you going to have to strip it and recondition it? How many hours are you going to have to spend on getting her in show condition? (If thats what you want?) When you check out the trailer look at the tires, are they going to need replaced soon? Check the welds to make sure that they are sound and aren't cracked. Make sure the all the lights on trailer work too. Does it have a spare? Try to find something wrong even if it seems so minor and trivial. Have you gone to traderonline.com to see what other 89's are going for? If she is want you want then but he is overpriced then you gonna have to fight for her. Being a Nautique owner is a thing of pride for me. If you'll take care of her then she'll take care of you.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2004 at 7:04pm
well guys, let me tell you about this boat. she is a 1989 Sport Nautique (hardly any made, it was supposed to be a 1990 release but they realeased it early to kick the ass of the MC Tristar open bow). She only has 290 original hours, brand new interior last year. As a matter of fact, it hasn't been in the water since the new interior has been installed. Brand new tires on the trailer, trailer in good shape, not sure if it has a spare. NADA on a 1990 is 9980. B/C of great condition he is asking 1150, but here is the good news.....he accepted my offer of 10K last night. I still have to work out the "details" with the bank, but worst case (if they don't give me enough money) i have to wait an extra week or two. I am sooo psyched about this!!!

I was about to buy a MC Tristar (very nice boat, but had some problems) but i ran across this beaut, and it was meant to be. I haven't actually seen it in person, but the offer is contingent on it being in as good of shape as we have discussed. So, since i haven't seen it in person, i can't claim love at first sight.

If anyone is looking to get into the ski boat market, i do know of a few Tristars in SC that'd be good starters.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2004 at 8:06pm
if you are traveling far, make sure you have a spare for the trip home.(or two) the low hours would make me believe the tires are original and will be marginal no matter how much tread is left. DON'T SPEED ON THE WAY HOME. call your insurance guy and tell him what you will be doing. give your insurance guy the vin off the boat and let him get the paper work started. hint...boat insurance rates go up at 250 hp. don't hit the water without it.

a boat that sits ages just the same. go over the boat with a fine tooth comb. don't let the look of a new interior blind you. i would hand the guy a thousand and tell him you would like to go for a ride before you consumate the deal.
the cash money will show that you are serious and show him your check from the bank for the balance.

make sure she starts well from cold. note the oil pressure cold and hot........there is some other post that i typed in all the standard stuff. i'm sure you know what to do.

i looked at a 2001 many years ago that was stored where i kept my boat in nc. the father and son had passed away and the mother wanted rid of it. the guy that owned the storage building was real nice, but he had a habit of poking holes in the 30' tall roof with the fork lift. (george dickle, mountain dew and grapefruit juice. yuk.) the 2001 had been parked with the plug in the bilge for a while right under a leak.

great looking low hour boat that tripped the scales at 3300#'s. it was water logged and i did not buy it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 11:50am
this guy who is selling the boat is great. I tried to make arrangements to meet him at the bank and buy it, but he told me we had to go on the water first. I think he's kinda interviewing me to see if i'm good enough for the boat. he was telling my wife that he was sured he cry when he signed it over.

He said he bought the tires last year and has receipts. I run a West Marine store, so spare trailer tires are no big deal, i'll grab a few on the way out the door to be extra safe. Don't worry, i won't be speeding, i'm not going to have a chance to put a weight distributing hitch on my truck before going to pick up the boat, so i'll be towing it on my bumper, (it's within the weight limits, barely but it is) i'll be going about 10mph under the speed limit. my truck will probably think something is wrong. I never go UNDER the speed limit.

I think this is a great boat, but he won't get a dime if it's not as perfect as i've discussed with him.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 1:37pm
14 year old tires would scare me.

your truck bumper might be a little high to tow without dragging the back of the boat. you might pick up a reciever plate that bolts in the holes on the bumper.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 2:13pm
not 14 year old, 1 year old tires. where could i find a recieve plate like you talked about. I've seen them before, but never in a store. My truck is 4x4, so i probably will need it.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 3:13pm
i understand that they have been replaced. 'would have' would have been better. 14 year old tires would have scared me.

valley industries. bumper hitch. #76030 has a 3500# rating which is marginal, but ought to get you to the house.
jcawley3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcawley3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2004 at 1:19pm
I had the same problem with my bank when i bought my '86 go get a appraisal from a marine dealer and they should honor that

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 2:03pm
nope, they said that they would only take NADA. it's a credit union that doesn't do very much marine stuff. but we did decide on a value that i am happy with, loan is done and approved. we are just having a hard time getting together with the guy.

as far as my hitch problem goes, i went ahead and installed a class III trailer hitch on my truck. problem is the lease is up in April, so when that time comes, i may have an s10 hitch up for sale, b/c i'll probably buy a trailblazer that comes with a hitch.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2004 at 3:19pm
I have seen that the new trailblazer's do have a V8 engine option now. you may want it if you have to travel a ways to get to your favorite lake.

Glad to hear you didn't give up on the boat and got everything squared away. You'll have a blast this summer with it and welcome to Club.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2004 at 3:02am
the sonofabitch that was selling me the boat just freakin' backed out. i've gone through a month of crap to get this thing and he freakin' decides to keep it. i'm so pissed.

here's what i'm looking for if anyone knows of anything.

DD ski boat, open bow, in NC, SC or GA. Good condition. less than 15,000 no more than NADA.

tower would be a nice plus, but don't really care.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2004 at 10:25am
Go to www.boattraderonline.com/adsearch.html put in your search criteria, money, location, manufacturer ( Correct Craft ). It will list yr, model, engine size and a lot of other info good luck. I hate guys that change their mind. Well at least you have the hard part down and know that you can get the financing you want.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2004 at 10:25am
Look at the diaries as well on this site there are some for sell in there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oskeefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2004 at 12:51pm
yeah, i've checked those places, but boat's like i'm looking for are few and far between. to be in my price range they need to be 1989-1993 if i'm going CC. but open bow boats in that year range aren't very common, and when you find one, it demands a premium.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic