Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 Barefoot Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Tom nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2009 at 4:53pm
Hi everybody,

My name is Tom, Jo's brother.

Today we did some more work, took out the engine support out, pulled the stikkers off, claend the inside a bit, and took out all the cable's.

We'll post some pic's tomorrow.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2009 at 5:22pm
Kristof,
If Greg comes over, you'll need a interpreter!! At GL this year, at least we had Billy to do the interpreting. (Believe it or not, Billy doesn't have the deep southern accent!!!!)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2009 at 5:43pm
Tom,
Doing some work behind my back now??? That's not fair!

Pete,
ROFLOL!!!
Strange, on the phone he didn't sound all that bad

Greg,
Who's yankin' who's chain now buddy

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 1:01am
Called Greg to offer my services as interpeter and there was a party goin' on. Keith, the Moorfoots, Amy and who knows who else. Sounded like fun. Heard that Greg made them eat Steak instead of Toothpick surprise. Hated to miss that one. All the more reason to look forward to the St. Johns.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 5:50pm
We need UPDATES!!! LOL
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2009 at 6:52pm
Seb, stay cool dude... They're coming LOL
Jo has made some more pics. I told him to post them. No worries, I'll be at their house again on saturday and we will post them...
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Seb, stay cool dude... They're coming LOL
Jo has made some more pics. I told him to post them. No worries, I'll be at their house again on saturday and we will post them...

How is the project going? finished?
jo nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 12:05pm
Project started again this week... Finally.
We flipped the boat over and are in the process of sanding... Sanding and sanding some more .
Main stringers are still in perfect shape and dry. So they're staying in. Gonna put an extra layer of glass on them.
Here are some pics:

Getting the anti-fouling off is a PITA!

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 2:41pm
As Jo said, we checked out the main stringers by chipping away the fiberglass at a few places. To my great surprise (and moreso disbelief) they where indeed in perfect condition and dry!
So we're gonna close up the chipped away parts and put an extra layer of glass on them.

Spent the whole afternoon sanding her with Jo. Man, that anti-fouling is some serious nasty cr@p... Especially since its on layer upon layer... Everything in the shop is covered with a thick layer of white and gray dust

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 8:13pm
was foam removed or still there? I´d check that also..leaving wet foam is not a good idea...

you are painting or will re-gel?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 8:33pm
Amen to that.. Kristof, if you are going to go through all that resto, it would be best served by pulling the foam and making sure there's no water at all lurking in there...

Still not convinced those stringers are rot free dude..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

As Jo said, we checked out the main stringers by chipping away the fiberglass at a few places.

Kristof/Jo, be aware that fiberglass will not "chip away". Resin-soaked fiberglass cloth/mat will flex and not be easy to get through. Resin (no cloth) by itself is brittle and will chip- what you likely were removing was the gelcoat layer in the bilge. I am somewhat skeptical that you even got down to the bare wood. Like Mojo, Im extremely skeptical that the wood is dry. Ive yet to disassemble a CC of any age and find dry wood. Its not always rotten, but its always wet- and its ALWAYS worth replacing. To remove all the gel and re-wrap with glass (which you would need to do for it to adhere properly) is only incrementally less work than removing everything and repairing the boat the right way.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 7:05am
Guys,
Trust me, I was even more sceptical than you...
But first we removed all the foam (and yes part of it was wet, as expected).
Two of the bulkheads were also wet and showed first signs of rot.
After removing all the foam and having the two main stringers remaining, we really checked them onto bare wood.
Maybe I didn't use the right words, but with a grinder we grinded through the glass wrap around the main stringers to check the wood. When we started, I even said to Jo and Tom that is was a waste of energy because they would have rot and would have to be removed all the way. But... they where dry at all the places we looked!! I still cannot believe it, because I've read so many posts on here that prooved the opposite.

If it was my boat, and I would be at this point, I would replace them anyway. But the two brothers are stubborn . So I'll leave it at that and tell myself that in the end it's their boat.
I hope I won't have to tell them "I told you so" somewhere in the future...

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 9:24am
have you guy's located a block yet?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 4:51pm
Nope Eric, not yet...
You got something lying around in your shop perhaps...?

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 6:48pm
after looking to mike macqueen thread pictures I can´t imagine leaving the stringer untouched in jo´s BFN...

rot

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by jo nautique jo nautique wrote:

I really see black wood under that glass...
anyway if the plan is to leave the stringer I´d put tons of Cpes or like and cot them with the proper epoxy resin etc...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2010 at 2:50pm
Seb, where you see that black (and indeed rotten wood) is the part we took out completely.
The main stringers in that barefoot are under the exhaust pipe...

wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2010 at 7:57pm
Nice looking boat and should be a great project. Can't wait to see how this project comes out.

You guys should try and find a 502 BBC. I have no idea what Eric Lavine would have around but he seems to be pretty good at finding a needle in a haystack.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 12:19pm
Great Project!
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2023 at 12:53pm

Hi All,
It's been 13 years since the last post about this boat, but I'm glad to tell you that 2 friends and I have bought it a few months ago!
We're planning on getting it running before the 2024 season comes around, although this looks like it might be a challenge.
When we bought it the only thing that was not disassembled was the engine, which has a cracked block.

Skipping ahead a few months, now the engine itself has been taken apart and sent of to the garage, together with another replacement block and crank. It’s a GenV instead of a GenIV, so still not sure this is possible or what adaptations are necessary.

We pitched up an old tent in my brothers garden (he's renovating his house), flipped the hull upside down and started the repairs on the bottom.

Once all the dusty work is done, we will move the boat to a closed garage for a repaint.
We would have liked to do a gel spot repair, but the damage is just too extensive.

This is our first boat "restoration" as well as our first DD boat, so safe to say we will encounter a lot of issues along the way. Seeing the amount of knowledge on this forum, I know we'll be able to sort them all out with a little help.

I'll try to keep this thread regularly updated on our progress.

Very excited to get this Barefoot back on the water!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic