NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flight control towers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bonuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flight control towers
    Posted: January-02-2010 at 3:59am
Does anybody know where, if at all possible you can buy flight control towers? One of the new Nautique towers is the one I want, and it should look good on my boat. I just cannot find any website with them for sale.

bonuts
Terry
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 4:28am
...those who have fallen and those who will.
bonuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 6:36pm
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at there Flight Control style tower, there is something about that style one I don't really like. I think the one I like is called the FCT-3.

There are no forward bars, that could obstruct your view, and I really like the way it looks.

Like this one, if this picture works. Maybe some other manufacturer makes one like it.

http://www.nwski.com/admin/photos/boats/PRO_3466.JPG

bonuts
Terry
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 6:55pm
That tower is made OEM by Roswell for Correct Craft. You may check their website, though I don't know if they sell that or a similar tower to consumers.

Just goes to show different tastes. I don't care so much for those towers or the similar tower on the Malibus. Guess that's why there are choices.

I'm also not certain how difficult it will be to install aftermarket. I'm fairly familiar with the Malibu towers, and they have a set of counterweights and cabling which mounts under the gunnels to control the weight when dropping down the tower.

Good luck with your search.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 6:56pm
What boat are you going to put it on?
bonuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 3:51am
I am not sure what tower I want yet, I'm just looking into it right now. I like the style of the FCT-3 on the new Nautique, not sure what it would look like on my '96 SN 176.

I'm also sure there are those out there who would not put a tower on a boat like mine... but I really need the room in my boat (storage) and we did quite a bit of wakeboarding behind it. I'm definately open to others ideas.

bonuts
Terry
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 3:55am
The tower that you provided the picture of, will not work on your boat.
bonuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 4:01am
See thats the kind of stuff I need to know. What will work, exactly? I know thats kinda a broad question, but I do like somewhat OEM stuff. I have yet to find any that I really like the look of

bonuts
Terry
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 4:12am
Let me correct myself. It might work, but modifications would need to b made to it which could add alot more to what is (pic above) a very expensive tower. Have you tried contacting New Dimension Towers and asking them what could work or if they could modify something that they produce to your liking? If you're refering to the 176 qnd this is just my opinion...That is a very unique and somewhat sought after boat w/0 tower. Have you seen one with a tower? How would it affect the the wake / ride being a shorter boat? Would you be better off selling a rarer boat at a good price and buying another? Lastley, if you did do it, would it depreciate the value of the boat?
bonuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 4:20am
I have been throwing around the idea of selling my 176, which I just bought last summer, for quite some time. I love this boat and it is exactly what I wanted, but have found that the lack of room (for skis, and other toys) is lacking. As far as decrease in perfomance, I would really hope not, as this boat is a lot of fun as it is.

I've never seen a 176 with a tower, so really not sure there. And as far as depreciating value, for what I paid I will never lose in my opinion.

Selling this boat for a bigger one is a option for sure, but since I like this boat so much I would like to make it work for me and my family. I'm sure I would not regret getting a bigger boat though either. Not sure yet, just looking into it.

bonuts
Terry
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 4:30am
Sansom and Wake Designs each make a reverse arch tower. I don't know if they will fit your boat, or look good on your boat, but you may want to check it out.

You may also want to contact Roswell and see what they can do, as they make the OEM tower for Correct Craft.

New Dimensions makes copies of the OEM towers from most of the manufacturers. I don't believe they've made one of these yet, but they may work with you if that's what you want.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

bonuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 4:34am
Yeah I will contact manufacturers, after looking through pictures the more common flight control tower is kind of growing on me, I have seen new dimensions makes one of them.

bonuts
Terry
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 11:04pm
SN206 has good advice.

I have the 99 Air Tique, essentially the same boat but with the taller tow pylon. I, like you, have been considering adding a tower for space reasons. I've concluded that the FCT-2 type (as pictured on the New Dimensions website for the 97-01 years) would be the best fit aesthetically as the base follows the angle of the windshield. Of course, I highly doubt they make one for the 176 as the boat has a narrower beam, and is 2' shorter in length for the towers they build. They would have to cut and reweld for a shorter length and width leaving some fairly conspicuous welds, unless they start from scratch.

The resale debate. Yes, the 176 is rare and unique, and a tower would be a tough fit for the boat, and you would run the risk of it looking like an elephant on a tricycle. A 2 foot shorter length is a bunch less in displacement so I'd have some concern there. A smaller, suitable tower would, however, go a long way to adding to the utility of the boat, particularly for getting the wakeboards out of the way, and mounting some speakers where you can hear 'em from the sandbar. If the boat was built a few years later, it would have had a tower on it from the factory. So, you have the classic form vs. function issue. If resale is a possibility, I wouldn't do it. If you are going to keep it (like I am), maybe a call to New Dimensions is worth it.

If they say they can do it with no problem, please let me know - you might have an order for two!
'99 SN Air Tique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 11:33pm
Anyone who is making custom fit towers is bending the tubes to fit the boat so there would be no conspicuous welds. As far as going shorter with the tower, what's the point? It would just mean you will get less benefit from the pull and bang your head on your speakers.
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 11:41pm
You need to think in yet another dimension there Tex. Shorter in length and shorter in width does not mean shorter in height. In order to accommodate the smaller specs of the 176 and still clear the windshield, they will need to take material from the horizontal portion of the pipes, not the vertical parts. So, the job will require more than cutting off some material at the ends, or bending an existing base to fit.

If they are bending new pipe for each job they do, then it should be fairly easy. If they are grabbing pipes from the parts bin - much tougher.

Bonuts -
The on-center mounting points for the bow would be in the neighborhood of 58" apart, and the mounting points behind the windshield (aft of the port cupholder but forward of the step) would be about 76" apart, which is the middle of the cap. I did not measure the distance between the points for the same side fore and aft, which of course would be critical as those would dictate the bend for the base pipes on each side.   Having another hole in the cap about 5" from the cupholder does not seem smart for the aft mounting point on the port side. I don't see where else it would go, however.
'99 SN Air Tique
bonuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 1:35am
Just a thought. There have to boats my size with towers, so are there any nice looking multi fit style towers? I found one picture of the 176 sporting a Monster tower, and it actually looked pretty good.

Any problems with these cookie cutter towers?

bonuts
Terry
bonuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 1:38am
   Scratch that, it wasn't a Monster tower. Can't find the one I liked

bonuts
Terry
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 2:26am
Jake, the tower should fit like the one on the early 80's boat on the New Dimensions site, which is very similar in size to a 176. If you look at those pics you will notice that each model is just a little different to fit the boat while keeping the basic shape of the tower the same. I wouldn't really worry about your gunnels, my Excel had some of the thickest glass that I have drilled through as well as a 1 x 2 inch piece of honeycomb running down the middle of each side. I'm not sure, but I think 2 hydrofoils in 15lb racks is about double what most people will load on their tower, and I've had no problems with the gunnels.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 2:50am
Do foils realy put that much load on a boat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 11:06am
The foils are 30 to 40 lbs each plus the heavy racks, at the very least it puts more stress on the gunwales. The stress on the tower itself would depend on how it is built.
abareskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abareskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 10:05pm
Can you repost the pic?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic