Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1973 ski nautique national tow boat info

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
QUEBEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QUEBEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 ski nautique national tow boat info
    Posted: January-24-2010 at 8:56pm
Hi does anyone know anything about the 1973 ski nautique that say national tow boat on them. My freind has one and has not used it in years and now want's to restore it.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 9:57pm
More than likely it will need a lot of work but would be well worth it when he is done. Make sure to thoroughly check the floor and stringers. What kind of motor does it have and does it work? Post some pics and you will get some answers.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:26pm
Were these just labeled differently for the year or were the boats actually different than regular model SN's?
QUEBEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QUEBEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:48pm
Not sure I had a 75 ski nautique looked the same I guess. He has the original trailer to.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:52pm
I want to say these were Promo boats from 73, but could be wrong.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:58pm
QUEBEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QUEBEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:58pm
Maybe promo I also heard something about abc sports some of them said abc sports on the side of them.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 12:10am
Aniversery year?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 1:17am
If the boat was used for the nationals it would have had a third speedo on the front of the motor box for the judge as he could not turn around and look at the dash and watch the skier. It was also located on the back panel since there was no stern seat in the boat. Hope this helps. Woody
woodyelc
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 4:28am
I think he should sell it to me.

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
skierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2010 at 6:28pm
This may be a difficult question. In 1972 in the brochure the Ski Nautique only list one fin, in the 1973 it list one fin and 1974 list two fins on the Ski Nautique. I saw a 1973 this weekend with two fins and was curious if Correct Craft started adding the extra fin in 1973 or did someone add this at a later date?

Thanks!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2010 at 9:38pm
The 70's brochures, especially early to mid. Are the worst to use as a reference.   They basically used the same one 73 74 75    The pic on the 74 is the exact same pic they used for the 75 brochure.

The 73 I restored for Jess, Has 2
My 74 has 2
I know mine came that way, appears Jess's did also.

Ox, Was it you , in a post somewhere, mention The Dells, Tommy Bartlett?
skierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2010 at 12:43am
I appreciate the help DRCC. It looks like two was correct on a 73 Correct Craft.

Yes we have mentioned the Dells and Tommy Bartlett, we spent some time around those guys. Pauly Banana has skied in two reunion shows. We both planned to ski in the last one but the water ran out of lake Delton. I did some show skiing (small team in Minnesota) but not for Tommy Bartlett.

Your 1974 looks great, a real keeper! What does your 1974 look like on the trailer?

Question: Does the 1973 have inline mufflers of any type?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2010 at 2:28pm
One of my friend's, sister skied in the Tommy Bartlett Show.

Click on my avatar, on trailer pic.   Theres a whole other story behind that pic.

Copper tubes in the 73.    Glass mufflers didn't show up till (I think) 77 or 78.
jeffware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 7:21am
I have a 1972 ski-nautique national tow boat. The "national tow boat" lettering was put on the boats that towed the skiers in the USA national tournaments. Not the type or brand of boats, but THE actual boats only. Mine is all orange gel coat, and I've seen one exactly like mine on the internet in past years. Mine HAD 3 speedometers. Has 3 pickups, 2 bronze tracking fins, a 351 windsor with a 13x13 prop, counterclockwise (LH) rotation. Mine is fully operational with original stringers but without the 3rd speedo which was mounted on the front of engine cover. I ran the engine today with boat on the original correct craft trailer to warm it up, I did an oil change. Now using 20w50 oil (and STP oil treatment for the zinc) as engine is worn. Have original owners book, and Waukesha engine owners manual (Waukesha became PCM). It says to use 10w30 or 10w40 oil. Plan to put in water soon after fixing some minor maintenance issues within a week. No mufflers, copper pipes instead. I think I answered all questions on this thread. Have owned boat for over 30 years.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 7:33am
Jeff,
Post some pictures!

The 20-50 oil is used by many including myself not because of a worn engines but because of proper ZDDP levels needed for a flat tappet engine. I use Valvolene VR1 off road. Make sure the oil you are using has the ZDDP. How do you know your engine is worn? Have you done a compression test?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jeffware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 8:30am
I'll try to post a pic later, busy now. I use the STP oil treatment because of the zinc (ZDDP) that is in this additive. I assume it's worn due to age. Also use lead substitute in the fuel to protect the valve seating area in the head, as there ARE no hardened seats like modern motors have. I do old cars also and you must put proper hardened seats in an old cast iron head, or use lead substitute. This oil change in the boat I also added Lucas oil leak stop as the rear crankshaft seal leaks. My boat held 9 quarts full for years, but with the leaking seal, only 8. which is exactly at the low mark on dipstick.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 8:49am
You must have the world's biggest 351w marine oil pan, how about a picture of that pan ?

What company marinized the 351 in your boat? Waukesha, mine didn't hold 9 quarts
jeffware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 8:56am
I also had a fish-nautique for 10 years. Super offshore fishing boat, 1987. Bought it just after previous owner repowered it with a PCM GT-40 351 injected. Super motor, took it offshore 30 miles off cape canaveral numerous times. The salt kept chewing up every metal part and I had to part with it. Wiring, trailer, steering cables, everything. If I hit the lotto, I'll get another one, but it chewed up my bank account!
jeffware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 9:19am
72 boat marinized by Waukesha. Later changed the name or merged with Pleasure Craft Marine (PCM). The national tow boats were done a bit different than regular ski-nautiques. LIke the 3 speedometer pickups and 3 speedos. My teak swim platform has the three cutouts to give room for the 3 pickup tubes to go UP the transom, approaching the deck, before the hoses go thru the stern. This is only on national tow boats of this vintage. The giant 9 quart aluminum oil pan was another one. And the orange gel coat. I recently recarpeted in blue for florida gator team colors!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 9:26am
What year was the teak platform put on the boat?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 9:32am

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 11:37am
Originally posted by jeffware jeffware wrote:

72 boat marinized by Waukesha. Later changed the name or merged with Pleasure Craft Marine (PCM). The national tow boats were done a bit different than regular ski-nautiques. LIke the 3 speedometer pickups and 3 speedos. My teak swim platform has the three cutouts to give room for the 3 pickup tubes to go UP the transom, approaching the deck, before the hoses go thru the stern. This is only on national tow boats of this vintage. The giant 9 quart aluminum oil pan was another one. And the orange gel coat. I recently recarpeted in blue for florida gator team colors!

Hello Jeff, we would love to see some pictures of the boat. Its always good to chart another 72 promo boat and how it was delivered.   Pete up there is trying to hint to you that the platform wasn't original, and it wasn't - they weren't an option until later in the 70s, our 72 promo also has had one added at some point. We have a 302 Waukesha it is RH like all the other 72 promos that we have so far seen (either 302 fords or 318 Chryslers) ours it uses a standard stamped steel oil pan typical to all other 302 waukeshas of the era.   If yours has a large aluminum pan and was delivered as a LH from the factory that would be a first for sure and it would be worth trying to figure out the story behind it.   Is there still a serial plate intact on the motor somehwhere?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 12:00pm
[QUOTE=JoeinNY]
Pete up there is trying to hint to you that the platform wasn't original, and it wasn't - they weren't an option until later in the 70s, /QUOTE]

Who's this guy Pete you're referring to?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 12:37pm
um no comment
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 6:36pm

. Also use lead substitute in the fuel to protect the valve seating area in the head, as there ARE no hardened seats like modern motors have.

Wow, I hate to say it but someone saw you coming and is enjoying taking money from you!! I highly recommend you do some research since there is no such thing as a lead substitute that works like lead did!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 7:00pm
Seems you're contradicting yourself here Pete,

You say there's no such thing and then go on to say he's wasting his money buying a bottle of lead substitute

Or maybe you should rephrase whatever it is you're trying to say.

Edit ..............I see you added a few words to your lead substitute statement after I typed this Pete
jeffware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 1:44am
thanks for the info on platform keno. i bought boat 15 years old, had it now for 31 years. ASSUMED it was made that way. there was an identical boat to mine for sale many years ago in ohio. i emailed back and forth with the owner. his boat seemed to be configured exactly like mine. engine, swim platform, speedos, everything. but, in the 15 years before i got it, changes may have been done. howerver, 2 orange 72 national tow boats configured identical AFTER leaving the factory? maybe these boats got an experimental swim platform not available until later. i would like to replace the missing speedo to the front of engine cover with an identical period speedo. original speedo's for driver still work great. let me know if you have one to sell.. i have not removed the heads to put in hard valve seats and still use lead substitute. please contact me if you have an orginal speedo for 1972, thank you.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 2:42am
Who wouldn't want to think they have something special...
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 3:13am

Yeah.......not sure the words "National Tow Boat" on the stern was reserved for the event boats..
The first Nautique I owned was a "National Tow Boat". Bought in '81 from 1st owners, so not horribly old and very original. Didn't pull a national.
White gelcoat, red and blue painted graphics. 2 speedos. No swim deck. Other than the graphics package, nothing special.
Had a Ford 351W marinized I think by Crusader. It was red, with a regular 6 qt. oil pan.
I didn't know any better, put '82 graphics on it. Photos somewhere.
Later I bought a (earmuffs) Supra Comp in '87. Said "Word Championship Tow Boat" across the transom, but it never left Northern California. Just sayin.................
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic