NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Belt Tensioner Alignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belt Tensioner Alignment
    Posted: March-21-2010 at 3:24am
Hey guys,

My belt tensioner is out of alignment. It is leaning really far forward. I used it like this last summer but it caused a lot of belt dust and I want to get it better aligned but I don't see any way of adjusting it. Does anyone have any idea on how to adjust it so it is aligned better?

You can see how far forward it is in this picture.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 8:59am
Joe,
Just looking can be deceiving. To me from the picture, it looks like it's actually leaning forward but it may be the picture! Have you checked it with a straight edge? Don't go by eye and use the proper method. If it is leaning, somethings going on and you'll need to remove it and take a look.

If get to that point, post some more pictures. Even if it isn't for further help, I'm sure we'd like to see what you find.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 11:56am
Joe - It looks like the tensioner arm or mount is worn. The fix might be as simple as buying a new tensioner. Check the mounting screw also for wear too. Worst case is that the casting surface it mounts to is worn (then you would need to pull that part, remachine flat, shim out with washer). The idler needs to be aligned very closely to the other pulleys.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 12:42pm
Ok, I will pull it and have a look. Pete it is leaning forward, alot! The engine is pretty new. I can't tell you an exact hour but if I would guess it has about 80 hours on it.

I did take the wheel off and had a look. The bearing looks great and so does the tensioner that the wheel threads on to.

I will pull it and let you know what I find.

Thanks!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 2:02pm
Well I pulled it and not sure why it is leaning forward so much. The mount looks good, the tensioner has no play in it. Like I said it all looks brand new and doesn't even look like it has ever been removed since it was put on at the factory. I shimmed the bottom mount with a small washer and it looks a little better. I plan on going out today so I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 2:09pm
I just looked at a bunch of pictures of an Excalibur 330 and it looks like all the tensioners are leaning forward. I know it is hard to tell from a picture but check this out. It definitely looks like it is leaning forward at about the same angle as mine.

It is kind of odd. I think when I put the belt back on I flipped it around and it started to grind off the outer edge like it did on the other side last summer which is why it started to create so much dust when I fired it up yesterday.

I shot an email to Whitelake to see if they had any ideas. Maybe it is normal?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 2:33pm
It may be typical but is not right. Manufacturers can make mistakes & sometimes they ship something wrong for a while before they get it right (floormats??). It needs to be in exact alignment. You may have to shim it somehow or re-machine something - use a straight edge or a laser level to get it as parallel as possible to the other pulleys.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 4:16pm
Joe,
Get the straight edge out and stop guessing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic