Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dmc346 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmc346 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ignition
    Posted: March-31-2010 at 3:00pm
I am trying to figure out a problem I am having or if anyone has faced the same problem. I have a 1994 sport with a 351 carbed. Sometimes when the ignition key is turned to start the boat, something just clicks. If I turn the key off and on a couple of times, the boat starts up.

The battery is fully charged and the clicking appears to be coming from the rear engine area, any idea's????????????????????????????
dmc346
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 3:14pm
What is the CCA rating of the battery and how old is it?

possible causes,

Battery; low CCA rating, sulphated battery, thinking a 12.5v reading from the battery means the battery is good. 13.25V or higher is a battery that is fully charged.

Starter relay is bad, the piece your hearing click,

Corroided cable connections.

Ignition switch is going bad.

But 99% of the time it's the battery causing this issue.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 4:23pm
David,
If you don't have one already, get a inexpensive VOM (volt ohm meter). About $25 and will pay for inself in trouble shooting. You won't be running around getting parts that you would be guessing are bad and later find out are fine! They come in handy for the car and around the house as well. They do come with basic instuctions on how to use them and we're here to give you guidance.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 7:07pm
Had the same problem with my 85 in 06. Wiring was bad in the back where the solonoid is. Had to complety re-do the wiring from the battery to the back. Your volts may be to low as Chris and Pete stated.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 8:31pm
watabout the ignition kill switch/fuse back there below the protec box? mine use to fail sometimes and it was like a click there, it killed all power to the engine. to reset i had to either push the red button there or reset the power by cutting the battery power...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 8:46pm
I think 79 has you covered!
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 11:09am
A clicking noise indicates a bad connection or low battery voltage.
Best way to check it is to do a voltage drop test on the starter circuit.
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 6:23pm
if I were to get a VOM meter what reading am I looking to see??
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 8:53pm
Joe,
I'd start with a good fully charged battery. A fully charged battery will be 12.6 volts. Check that at the battery and you'll know it's good. Then check the cranking voltage while turning the key you get to the starter. Want you really want to see is the voltage drop you get to the starter. You'll see some drop just from the load of the starter. Any reading (drop) over about 2.5 volts and I'd start checking things like cable, terminal and connection conditions. Are you having problems with cranking the engine too?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 11:22am
79 has a good list!My trouble was Corroided between solinode and mounting plate.

munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 12:42pm
No it will crank all day long...just wont engage....just keeps trying...
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 3:49pm
starter cranck the engine and it does´t fire up, or the starter turns but it doesn´t engage to the flywheel thus no engine turning?
If its the first one I´d check for spark...
if its the second one have the starter checked.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 7:14pm
no engine is cranking...just wont start....just put spark plugs and wires in it.....
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 8:56pm
Hey Joe,
That sure does sound like a tune up job needed..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 1:00am
Just had the problem you describe in my truck, It was a corroded battery cable. Cost to fix, $0, starting evry time, Priceless.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 10:51am
Originally posted by 82wake2001 82wake2001 wrote:

no engine is cranking...just wont start....just put spark plugs and wires in it.....

check the firing order of the plug wires and that the coil wire is seated correctly on both ends.
Dellavalle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellavalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 9:23pm
I have a 1982 model 2001, and sometimes, with a fully charged battery, when you turn the ignition key, something just clicks at the rear of the engine. I do not think at the starter, but at the solenoid. Is this a common problem and should I change it out before it fails completely ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 10:30pm
Dellavalle,
Yes, the clicking sound is the start relay. Don't just start changing parts without checking/testing first.You say you have a fully charged battery but what condition is it in? Only a load test at will tell. The auto supply will do it for you. How clean and tight are the cable terminals? What condition are the cables in themselves? Do you use a battery terminal wire brush type cleaner? What voltage drop are you getting from the battery to the start relay? If everything's good, it should not be over about 3 when cranking. Last is, I sure hope you do NOT have a deep cycle battery!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic