Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 ski nautique battery

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
aviator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 ski nautique battery
    Posted: June-13-2010 at 3:18pm
Hey everyone, I work for a summer camp that operates two 1995 ski nautiques and one 1996 sport nautique. I've started to look after the boats last summer and will be doing so again this year. We have been having difficulty finding batteries that will fit into the battery compartments on these boats.

The owners manual lists that the battery must be 13" length, 6 3/4" width, and 8" tall (Group 43). However, the only batteries we can find are Group 24 batteries that are too tall for the battery compartments, meaning that we can't close the cover. I was wondering if there were any other owners who own nautiques from these years and could suggest a battery that would fit into the compartments.

Just as a note, our camp gets Interstate batteries very cheaply, so something from that brand would be preferable.

Thanks for your help
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2010 at 3:28pm
Just looking at interstate's website, it does not appear that they make a group 43 battery.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/content/product_info/marine_f.asp

It looks like a group 34 battery will work. Dimensions of the 34 are 10" long x 6-7/8 wide x 7-13/16" tall. If you have a little extra space width wise, the 34 looks to fit. Now keep in mind that the 0nly 34 that I see is an optima battery, so they are more $$. The SC34DM is 750 CCA or the SC34M is 800CCA. In either case, you can use your interstate discount with either of these.

I run an optima battery in my 78, and it's been 100% trouble free for over 8 years now.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
aviator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2010 at 4:52pm
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I have heard great things about the optima, I will have to see how much of a discount we can get off of one before purchasing. Thanks for your help
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2010 at 5:10pm
No problem. When I was at summer camp, all we had was some crappy tri hull 60 hp or so. I would have loved to be able to use one, let alone 3 nautiques at camp. :)

I am an Eagle Scout, and even was a camp counselor for a few summers.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2010 at 10:02pm
What camp are you at? I use to go to a water ski camp in NC and we had two 2001s and a barefoot back in the day.
aviator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2010 at 10:28pm
we're at camp mini-yo-we in muskoka ontario. its not a pure wake/ski instructional camp but its an option campers can choose each week, and we offer it during a wake camp for teens for a couple weeks each summer. thanks for your help everyone, we are going to look into the optima batteries and see if we can use our interstate discount on them.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2010 at 11:50pm
That is kind of what we had. It was a regular camp but an opt in ski part.

If you have a Sams or BJs up there they carry the optima blue tops and are a lot cheaper than at the regular auto stores!

Later
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 12:16am
A Group 65 fits the batt box perfectly. The Everstart Maxx-65N is $70 at Walmart.
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 3:03pm
Alright, I am not trying to throw $$$ away, but I need reliability and am willing to test out the Optima brand ... I am sure that I am going to get hit hard by TRBenj, etc. for not going with the $70 Wal-Mart Group 65 battery ... at least Hollywood has used and likes the Optimas/both the blue and yellows as I understand it ... (and, as an FYI, Marty ... I am also a Interstate fan); however, I am upgrading our stereo for the wife and kids ... they like to take long breaks (I have very small children, 2 and 4 yrs. old) from skiing and hang around the swim platform listening to Country & Western music—4 JL 6.5” speakers, 1 JL 10” sub, and JL M500/3 amplifier. I have read ALL the posts on this forum concerning batteries (and I understand the difference between a cranking and deep cycle applications)—I even called Optima direct this a.m. ... Looks like the Optima "blue" is the way to go if I want to spend the money: D34M or D34 "yellow”—according to the technical representative at Optima, they are identical batteries but for the blue having the additional set of wing-nut style terminals (they are also identical in terms of price if you buy direct). My question: Any benefit to having the wing-nut style terminals (esp. when adding stereo, additional electric components)? I hope that answer will add something to the knowledge base here AND, just as a final check, is this the correct size battery for our 1994 (NOT 1995) skier?

A couple of pics of the Deka battery that I removed prior to winterization:

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 3:27pm
If youre going to be doing a lot of engine-off stereo time, and only have one battery, a high dollar dual purpose is probably the way to go.

My post from above was circa 2010; the Everstarts have crept up above $90 last time I checked.

The need for the wing nut terminals depends entirely on what type of connections you need on your particular boat.
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 3:53pm
TRBenj ... I think I am leaning that way, as I also know "0" about electrical (I am doing some reading currently ... no pun intended), can you envision a situation where I would ever need the wing-nut connectors on our SN? Am I correct on the size 34 issue (it is comparable to the 43 and 24 recommended by CC, and the seemingly universally agreed to group size 65 batteries): the Optima D34M measures 10 1/6" L x 7 7/8" H x 6 7/8 W"?

Curious, is it possible to run a double battery set up on the SN ... if so, where have others placed the additional battery? Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic