Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new carb. worse off

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new carb. worse off
    Posted: July-02-2010 at 11:33pm
New remanufact... carb came in today, threw it on and headed out to try and ride on this 88 degree day. Once I got gas to it it sounded excellent. Idled away from the dock, let it warm up for about ten then cautiously hit the throttle hoping this cured my hesitation/stall on take off......and.......what do you know...bluhblahpootpootsputblaaaaaahhhh. That's all I got when I tried to get above 1000r's. Scratched my head when I got home looked at my wires, all correct firing order. Checked my fuel lines, I had put a clear inline filter right before my mech pump and I'm not sure if it's the heat or what but I noticed the bowl was empty and the nylon-steel fitting was leaking. I removed it completely and will try in the morning. I also noticed the feed to the water separator looked wet with gas so I tightened the clamps on this also. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else I should be chasing......I feel like God doesn't want me to enjoy this damn boat till I'm done rebuilding it from the keel to the tow knob.   
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 11:37pm
And I did clean my anti siphon valve the other night. When I pulled it apart nothing was in there but I did hit it with carb cleaner and some air.
87' 2001
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 11:43pm
usually a spark issue will make the boat idle and run great under no load, then will fall flat when you get on it????? can you smell raw gas out back?
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 12:21am
with my rush of getting on the water I didn't seat my fuel feed. So It was hard to tell since I had so much gas on the rags in the boat. I did correct the issue immediately but I did acquire a health dose of fuel in my bilge. What should I be checking? The smell of fuel out of the exhaust?
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 12:23am
I anchored and played with the carb fitting on the end of the throttle cable. When I had the cable disconnected I revved the engine w/the cam and it would rev up sorta but blaaah out and sort of backfire. around 1500-2000ish.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 12:25am
I'm sort of stuck between a whole new distributor, a new coil, and a new fuel pump. Only because those are the three things remaining that I haven't replaced.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 12:38am
Here's some pics maybe someone will notice something.
87' 2001
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 11:03am
the vent line to the fuel pump cannot be clogged or the fuel pump wont stroke. but its highly unlikely that you would have the same issue with a new carb.
are your timing weights advancing the distributor? set your base than wang on it and the timing mark to will advance...it should, inspect the weights under the rotor making sure no corrosion or broken springs.
at this point it really sounds like a spark isssue to me, A coil is cheap and without being able to test it, thats what i would go after next, it should be a resisted coil so you should see around 9ish volts on the positive side while running.
pull a plug and groung out watching the spark, it should be a nice blueish purple, not orange
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 12:16pm
The timing does advance, I checked the springs, both were intact, although one looked like it was big. What I mean is that there is play in the weight but i suppose once the motor is running and its spinning I suppose the centrifugal force would push the weight out and the spring wouldn't have any play. If that makes sense to you. going for a test now, If issues still occur I'll pull my distributor apart and take a picture. One other question. My spacer plate for the carb has the four hole bore. Is this what it should be or should the spacer be a square bore?
87' 2001
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 12:24pm
def sounds like an ignition problem
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 2:11pm
Same as yesterday, although for 2 brief minutes it did run like normal.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

def sounds like an ignition problem

Grabbed the timing light and checked the timing still at 10 btc, so I loosened the distributor and set to 10 atc. It runs like a top in the driveway. Now to bring it out on the water and test it under load.................Please God be the cure or I'm going to .
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 10:05pm
IT'S ALIVE. but it still will stall on acceleration if you don't feather it just right.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 10:15pm
What I'm noticing is that my advance takes a while to come back to the initial timing. Is this normal? also it seems like the timing changes a little every time the engine is started.    Now what causes this and where can I find information on the remedy?
87' 2001
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2010 at 1:01am
I'm having EXACTLY the same issue with the 302 in my Tique, after installing a new rebuilt Holley carb from National. I'm pretty sure my issue is spark advance related. Bolting on the new Mallory distributor tomorrow, we're going out on Monday and I am crossing my fingers that this cures it. Am thinking I probably should have sprung for a new coil as well. We'll see...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 8:38am
Originally posted by 76tique 76tique wrote:

I'm having EXACTLY the same issue with the 302 in my Tique, after installing a new rebuilt Holley carb from National. I'm pretty sure my issue is spark advance related. Bolting on the new Mallory distributor tomorrow, we're going out on Monday and I am crossing my fingers that this cures it. Am thinking I probably should have sprung for a new coil as well. We'll see...

If you find the cure, please let me know.
87' 2001
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by YooperSully YooperSully wrote:

If you find the cure, please let me know.

Find a mechanic that knows how to properly tune-up a motor, that includes the carb, you just don't bolt on a carb and expect it to run correctly they have to be adjusted, new old or rebuilt doesn't matter.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 8:04pm
Well my new distributor was not the answer. I am now 90% sure my issue is the accel pump. A couple of suggestions for you. #1 - if you were ok out of the hole with your old carb, swap the accel pump nozzle and cam from the old carb to the new one. I discovered my old carb had a more aggressive cam and larger pump nozzle than the new one. This improved my performance when I swapped them on today. My old carb was not great out the the hole either (main reason I got a new one.) I still think I need a much bigger accel pump shot, and more accel pump tuning. Reason why:

Test I did on the water that I think you may want to try - (requires 2 people) Open the motorbox. I let my buddy drive, while I played with the accel pump. My buddy hit the throttle hard(the boat is still dying if I don't throttle up slowly), while I pumped the accel pump by hand. The boat shot up to 3k rpm and blasted out of the hole like never before!! I think I have found my issue. I am going to go for a much larger pump nozzle and more aggressive cam and see what happens.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 11:23pm
Find a mechanic that knows how to properly tune-up a motor, that includes the carb, you just don't bolt on a carb and expect it to run correctly they have to be adjusted, new old or rebuilt doesn't matter.

There is no such person in my neck of the woods. Why would I pay a guy 400 plus to tinker with my engine and then tell me "Hmmm I'm just not sure, I changed your oil and charged your battery though,. I might as well send the old lady home with him too. I'd much rather have the learning experience. But seriously what should you really have to check? They are dyno'd and vacuum tested before they are shipped so they sort of have to be adjusted for that to happen. Who knows maybe I'm wrong. The only thing I noticed was that it was shipped with the idle enrichment set a little rich.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 11:33pm

Well my new distributor was not the answer. I am now 90% sure my issue is the accel pump. A couple of suggestions for you. #1 - if you were ok out of the hole with your old carb, swap the accel pump nozzle and cam from the old carb to the new one. I discovered my old carb had a more aggressive cam and larger pump nozzle than the new one. This improved my performance when I swapped them on today. My old carb was not great out the the hole either (main reason I got a new one.) I still think I need a much bigger accel pump shot, and more accel pump tuning. Reason why:

Test I did on the water that I think you may want to try - (requires 2 people) Open the motorbox. I let my buddy drive, while I played with the accel pump. My buddy hit the throttle hard(the boat is still dying if I don't throttle up slowly), while I pumped the accel pump by hand. The boat shot up to 3k rpm and blasted out of the hole like never before!! I think I have found my issue. I am going to go for a much larger pump nozzle and more aggressive cam and see what happens.

What were the two sizes that you have? I'm not sure what's in mine.

Here's for choosing the proper size.

To properly size a power valve, take a vaccum reading at idle and if it is above 12" for a standard transmission a 6.5" will be safe to use. For automatic transmissions take a vaccume reading in gear at idle and if the vaccum is below 12" divide that in half for proper size. Example 9" of vaccume in gear at idle will require a 4.5" power valve.

If you were able to get it with your finger and the current valve, do you think that it might just be adjusting the timing of when it shoots? Or are you having to pump it more than once for it to shoot out of the hole.

I'm also curious if it could be because I'm using that square bore gasket in combo with the 4 bore gasket.
87' 2001
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 11:34pm
My thought is that National doesn't know what kind of boat we are putting these on - a heavy boat that builds RPM's slowly would use the less aggressive accelerator pump settings that they supply the carb with. Also my carb came with a tag saying the idle mixture had been set up at 900 rpm, clearly too fast for our boats. I'm going to tweak my carb with a bigger accel pump shot and hopefully that will cure it. Really easy to change out accel pump cams and nozzles, about a 5 minute job and nozzles are 11.50 each at Summit, the cam set is like $30 I think. Not too pricey to experiment with, compared to a new distributor!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:32pm
Can anyone chime in on what size accelerator pump nozzle and cam seem to be working for our engines. Between my two carbs I have a 25 and 31 nozzle and a white, and black cam.

To see the number on the pump just open your choke plate and at the bottom of it you'll see a number stamped on the nozzle. (the nozzle is held down by a single phillips head).
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:35pm

Can anyone chime in on what size accelerator pump nozzle and cam seem to be working for our engines. Between my two carbs I have a 25 and 31 nozzle and a white, and black cam.

To see the number on the pump just open your choke plate and at the bottom of it you'll see a number stamped on the nozzle. (the nozzle is held down by a single phillips head).

this is an aftermarket carb and not the style most have on their engines. PLEASE Read the MANUALS there are specs listed for flows that you can cross reference to choose the right parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 4:39pm

Here's some pics maybe someone will notice something.

This isn't the type of carb most of you have?
87' 2001
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 4:53pm
I see conversation here getting confusing between accel pump and PV.

If your accel pump is indeed shooting immediately now, From what i know I would not expect you to get dramatic improvement changing cams and shooters.

The power valve info above is crude and flawed so beware.

Also beware a larger shooter does not increase the overall volume of gas delivered, it shoots more gas for a shorter time. To get honest more fuel it requires a 50cc pump diaphram vs the 30 in there now. However a only the wildest of smallblocks require one and i'm taking this all as evidence that something else is very wrong.

While it looks shiny I am a bit skeptical of these rebuilds having all the correct combination of parts inside.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 11:25pm
The national carbs are Holley 4160's. Isn't that what almost everyone is running on these motors?

Just downloaded and read the PCM service manual holley carb section. Strangely, it lists the red cam as being appropriate but doesn't say anything about the shooter nozzle size (or pump capacity.) I assume everyone runs the stock 30cc pump.

I have a 21 nozzle on my old carb and a 25 nozzle was supplied with the new carb. I am going to go up to a 40 nozzle and may experiment with the 50cc pump, I have one on the way. I would love to know what others are running for nozzle size. The Holley carb tuning video says that lighter vehicles that build rpm quickly should use the 35-40 size shooters. Wouldn't this apply to our boats?

My pump seems to shoot immediately when the throttle is opened, but as I stated above, when I manually depressed the accel pump immediately and all the way under acceleration in the water, to try and supply more fuel sooner (simulate a larger nozzle size, I noticed a huge performance difference. Leads me to believe I need a larger nozzle for earlier fuel delivery. I was thinking about the larger pump size b/c right now my acceleration is great from 2200rpm up and I am not sure the current pump would do as well, with a larger nozzle using up all the fuel sooner. Thoughts anyone?

I was under the impression that the power valve affects high speed mixture and shouldn't have an effect on acceleration out of the hole. Is the power valve even relevant to our issue here?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 12:44am
Yes, the PV is still very relevant, as well as the PVCOs OD in the metering block and the main jet sizes, as well as the pump cam.

The engine was non meant to depend so much on the accel pump, naturally. its to replace the fuel that comes out of suspension when manifold pressure rises suddenly when one opens the throttle plates quickly.

I would again recommend against wasting any time with the 50 cc pump.
Your experiment says to me something else is amiss.

BTW how are you adjusting your idle mix screws? Misadjustment there can exacerbate a hesitation.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 1:18am
I haven't done the idle mixture adjustment yet, other than to set them at baseline 1 1/2 turns out. I do have a vaccuum gauge, reason I haven't set yet is that I am under the impression (from reading on this site) that the mix should be set in gear at 650 rpm. Is this correct? I am not lucky enough to have a dock to tie the boat to and play with the mixture setting screws, unfortunately. Can I do it at home with the boat on the hose? Obviously can't put the boat in gear without her in the water, guessing that wouldn't be a good idea with a dry cutlass bearing.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 10:35am
No, it must be in the water, the point is to put a load on the engine, much like adjusting idle on an old car with an automatic, it needs to be in gear. I've done it on the dock or in the middle of the lake, just look up now and then. the pissah is everyone that flocks around as soon as you lift the engine cover. I don't use a vacuum gauge unless something is really effed up, i typically just used my spidey-senses.

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 11:39am
set the idle mixture screws while your in the drive and in neutral, this will get you close enough that it won't cause issues, then once you have the time you can fine tune it and the idle while in gear later while your out on the water.

BTW I feel the 1 1/2 turn usually is on the lean side and that Holleys like to be slightly on the rich side, but I was never the type of guy to say it's this or that, because not all the parts are identical, ever, there is always variation in them and then when you start stacking up that variation it addes up quickly so what works for one carb is way off for the other carb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic