NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

starting my boat on land

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
adiocassette View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adiocassette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starting my boat on land
    Posted: July-04-2010 at 10:08pm
hey, i just bought a 78 ski nautique, i've always been a fan of the older SN's and finally was able to get one. Im very new to inboards, and was wondering how do i start it without it being the water without causing damage?i've read a few different things but nothing i've read has really explained it to well. If someone wouldnt mind breaking it down for me. its a 351. Im new to this site but already love it. Thanks in advance guys. and i've read you guys love pictures so i'll get some of the boat up shortly. thanks.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 12:03am
Welcome, not sure on a 78, but if you have a single water intake to the raw waterpump, you can hook a garden hose up to the intake side of the pump. You need to be careful not to collapse/suck shut, the garden hose if you rev the motor up too much. This method also does not "test" the water pump, as it forces water into the system.

To check a pump, you can fill a large container (like a 55 gallon drum) with water. Then insert the intake hose in the container. This way will make the water pump do the work.

Do you have pics of your boat? Where you located?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adiocassette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 12:17am
thanks, i'll be posting up pictures of the boat soon and im in virginia. thanks for the help.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 12:46am
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 1:00am
When mine is cold my prop shaft will turn slowly in nuetral. I always hose down the cutlass bearing under the boat to lube it before starting, and never run in gear out of the lake.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 1:10am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

When mine is cold my prop shaft will turn slowly in nuetral. I always hose down the cutlass bearing under the boat to lube it before starting, and never run in gear out of the lake.

another good point..I've heard of guys spraying the cutless bearing with lube. I lightly clamp a vice grip on the prop shaft inside the boat to keep mine from spinning.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adiocassette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 2:13am
thanks guys. you've been very helpful.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 10:19am
Welcome to the site Adio. Where in Virginia? I'm at Smith Mountain Lake near Roanoke.........

Steve
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adiocassette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 1:46pm
im also at smith mountain lake, i live in lynchburg but the boat is actually in bedford.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 3:06pm
On my 78, I simply remove the hose that goes to the hull filling on the top end of the tranny cooler, and hook up a hose that gets clamped on with the hose clamp. This hose goers over the side of the boat, and into a cooler or tub that is filled by a garden hose.

This way you can verify that your impeller works properly, and you also don't need to worry about the hose collapsing at higher rpm.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic