Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

beginner slalom

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: beginner slalom
    Posted: July-28-2010 at 1:26pm
Just looking for some suggestions on a beginner slalom ski. 6'3" 200 lbs. I don't really know where to start. I've been wakeboarding and want to give it a rest for a while. The old wood combos aren't too appealing. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 1:38pm
Ok some may disagree, but this old method has worked. While skiing on two skis lift one out of the water and ski with it raised. Try the other foot. Which ever is more comfortable, and affords better balance will be your front leg. ( For some reason LFF wakeboarders are RFF slalom skiers and also the opposite so this is important) Then it is a matter of skiing on two and dropping the one that will be in back. Let your rear foot dangle and when comfortable try putting it in back and go from there.

Method #2 (not always as successful) Try getting up on one ski with a boom.
Getting up on one with a long line is very strenuous on the arms so I would reccommend dropping method.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 1:53pm
I teach most people to drop one behind the boat skiing next to them and get them stable. Once they can ski on one I find the biggest ski in my collection and have them learn how to get up on that. The newer skis with the wide tip are very easy to get up on.

Tim

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 1:59pm
I should have been more clear. I'm looking for recommendations for a ski to buy, although any suggestions on how to are certainly welcome too! I do ride lff on a wakeboard and rff on a ski, just like you mentioned. Dropping a ski right now. Working on getting up on one, but was hoping a newer, right sized ski might help that cause.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 2:04pm
For your size Connelly make a Big Daddy which will allow easy starts and fun recreational slalom. Other companies are also offering big boy slaloms. INT league has a slalom catagory for wideboards so you can still compete with a big ski. You might get away with a minimum 69" but 70"-72" would be better. If it comes with a wing on the fin take it off for now. Unless you can start off with both feet in you only need a rear toe piece as opposed to a two boot ski.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 2:37pm
Harddock is right that the big Daddy will be easy to get up, but it will be a waste of money. After two or three uses, you'll outgrow it, particularly if you are used to getting up and have some level of skill on a wakeboard.

HO has a wide body line that skis pretty well. Not a course ski, but you can cut pretty well, its' stable, easy to get up, and handles speeds up to 32 or 33 mph. Charger, Burner, Magnum. The Mangnum is 71", the others are 67" and 69". Can't remember which is which. Check their sizing charts, but at your weight, I think the 69 is correct. I have Magnum which I bought after back surgery made it tough for me to ski my regular slalom.

Other brands make similar skis, but I'm not familiar with them. I think the Obrien is called the Syncro.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 3:02pm
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check them all out. I did see an Obrien Sequence that looked like it had potential too.

I haven't checked out the HO skis yet so I'll poke around at those too.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

HO has a wide body line that skis pretty well. Not a course ski, but you can cut pretty well, its' stable, easy to get up, and handles speeds up to 32 or 33 mph. Charger, Burner, Magnum. The Mangnum is 71", the others are 67" and 69". Can't remember which is which. Check there sizing charts, but at your weight, I think the 69 is correct.BKH

The HO Burner is a 67" ski. Just got one off of Cragislist last month. I'm 5'10 and 175 so I think you want at least a 69" ski.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 4:42pm
Personally would recommend you find a friends/neighbors ski to learn your slalom starts on, the widest biggest one available. After you do a half dozen starts you are ready to move on to a better ski. Assuming you are more coordinated then average and you think slalom is going to be your thing get a more advanced ski that will challenge you as that will help you improve more rapidly. If you are buying new or used get the best boot you can find, comfort and control at your foot is critical. Most ski mfrs will have (1) or (2) top level ski's, something that would be (1) or (2) ski's below that should put you on a ski that will start fairly easily and won't push out once you start really leaning on it. If you are looking at used a good all around ski is the HO Vengeance (69"), easy starts, fast & friendly, holds a good edge even with a little chop and can be found pretty cheap. Check out www.ski-it-again.com for used gear.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 6:32pm
Sure wish I knew someone with a big ski I could borrow but I don't. I'm probably just going to need to get something that will allow me to progress to the end of the season and if it goes well, maybe I'll jump up from there next year.

Point taken on the boot. Finding a used ski would be nice. I'll browse that site as well as craigslist.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 7:02pm
Ryan,

Try whatever ski you have available first, be sure your driver does not "over throttle", a steady progressive pull is much easier then WOT for someone learning. If you can get on top of the water a wide ski may not even be necessary, practice a little from there and then you will be ready to move on. If you find a used ski be sure and ask any questions you may have.
bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 7:13pm
You may want to check out ski-it-again.com. Unfortunately I do not know how to do a link. It is free to post used equipment on there and there are usually quite a few slalom skis listed.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 6:23pm
I think I crashed hard every time I tried to drop a ski, so I always have started long line.   The hardest part of a long line slalom start for me was staying stable.   I learned on resonably advanced ski, and had good luck with a "Deep v" rope. Put the tip of your ski in the "v" portion, and as the boat pulls, the "V" will tighten and help to stablize your ski.   you will have to get out of your tuck earlier, so you can pull the rope off of the front of the ski :) once you get the feeling of a good start, then try with the ski unrestrained.    If you have a deep v rope, you may be able to start with a more advanced ski if you can find one 2nd hand....

Good luck!!!

Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 1:03am
Ryan my Dad has a fat mans ski. I dont think he has ever used it. You could borrow it. I might be going to the Malibu open in Wisconsin next weekend or if you ever cruise through Iowa pick it up. Quinner thanks for the advice about pulling up skiers I think I have been over throttling it

Waldo
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 11:53am
Just an update. Second outing was the one. Took me about 5 attempts, but I got up on that crummy, undersized wooden ski. Having the driver roll the throttle a bit more gently helped quite a bit. The hardest part was keeping my back foot in place. It would just slip out when we were taking off and the ski would run off to the right. I found myself pushing really hard with that back foot just to keep it in place. The problem with that was the ski would come way out of the water and I'd be riding on the back two feet of it, just plowing away. My arms are not thanking my right now. Regardless, I got up and then did it again later that evening on the 3 try.

Waldo, thanks for the offer but now that I'm up on the ski I have, I think I'm going to do some shopping for something I can grow into. That's really a nice gesture though and incidentally, I'll be coming through your part of the country next week.

So being that I'm getting up with both feet in, would I be better off with two boots? Are there any disadvantages to a double boot? Seems like it would be better on your legs in a hard crash...

Thanks!
Ryan
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 12:26pm
Ryan
I used to ski a double boot many years ago (EP Comp X-2). I bought a new "Shaped" ski, a Connelly Eclipse, which I love. It is a single boot, which I adapted to well. It is not as big as the Big Daddy, but does have a larger tip, which gets me out of the water easier. High end skiers have taken this ski deep into short line, but at 32-34 mph. Your welcome to borrow it, considering I haven't skied it in two seasons (too much time with our show team, and foot'n). You're only 25 miles away, so let me know if you want to borrow it.
BTW, I'm 6'0" and 210.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 4:21pm
Steve,

Thanks for the offer. I might have to give it a try since we are so close. I've been skiing over at Upper Straits. Still trying to learn the lake, but I watched a guy rip it up yesterday and tried to make note of the path they took. There's also a course set up on that lake, not that I'm anywhere near attempting it. What's the usual etiquette on that... find out who owns it and ask or just run it?

Thanks,
Ryan
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 5:02pm
Muscling your way up will lead to injury, you're lucky it's just soreness. Let your back foot drag so you learn what it takes to get up progressively. No flying handles, no wasted gasoline. If you can't get up with 1 foot you're overcompensating somewhere. Bent front knee between your elbows. You should be able to keep your eyes open and focused on the pylon the whole way up (with the rigth sized ski), do a lap around the lake and come back to the dock with dry hair! Now you can go back to 2 feet in the bindings if you really want to, or have to with double boots. There's really no reason for all the painful recreation slalom skiing out there.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 5:10pm
Ryan

Are you dropping your boat in Upper Straits? I've never been on that lake, but if you happen to see a rather large house (16,000 sq ft) on a hill with a beach house below it, we built the tunnel that connects the the beach house to the elevator that goes up to the main house.
If you want to borrow that ski, let me know. You can bring your boat to White Lake, and run the course in front of my cottage. Or just come out and we'll use my boat, although you don't want to make your first attempt at a course behind a Barefoot Nautique.
In regards to etiquette, I would talk to the skiers using the course. The course on our lake stays up during the week and anyone can use it. There is a group that takes donations for the upkeep. One of the important things to remember is not to damage any balls by turning the boat in the course, and catching a ball with your rope.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Muscling your way up will lead to injury, you're lucky it's just soreness. Let your back foot drag so you learn what it takes to get up progressively.

I'll give it a try with my foot out. I'm all about a less painful experience. What kind of angle are you keeping the ski at when you start and how much of the ski do you usually keep out of the water when you first start?
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Ryan

Are you dropping your boat in Upper Straits? I've never been on that lake, but if you happen to see a rather large house (16,000 sq ft) on a hill with a beach house below it, we built the tunnel that connects the the beach house to the elevator that goes up to the main house.
If you want to borrow that ski, let me know. You can bring your boat to White Lake, and run the course in front of my cottage. Or just come out and we'll use my boat, although you don't want to make your first attempt at a course behind a Barefoot Nautique.
In regards to etiquette, I would talk to the skiers using the course. The course on our lake stays up during the week and anyone can use it. There is a group that takes donations for the upkeep. One of the important things to remember is not to damage any balls by turning the boat in the course, and catching a ball with your rope.

Yep, dropping in. I'm only about 750k shy of getting my place on Upper Straits. I think I know the place you are talking about. Nice work!

I'm not ready for an attempt at a course behind any boat yet. I have a few minor details to work out, like consistently getting up on a single ski. I'll see if I can find out who keeps up the course on Upper.   It would be good to know for the future.

I'd love to borrow that ski for a bit. Can you pm your phone number to me? You around this week?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by ryanowen ryanowen wrote:

What kind of angle are you keeping the ski at when you start and how much of the ski do you usually keep out of the water when you first start?

60 degrees from horizontal maybe? Probably less than 12" of ski tip is out of the water. Once the knee is between your elbows, the ski is in the right spot. Use your core muscles to keep the ski under you and you'll be fine. You should be able to "get up" no matter how slow the pull. If you want to really practice, have the driver roll up the throttle really slow! Since you're not plowing with your back foot you'll notice how little energy you're using (arms and hands) to glide right up on the water.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 6:52pm
Some believe double binding are safer in a crash (not as likely to have the ski twist your leg, foot or ankle in a circle, or send your legs into opposite directions). Some believe they have better control in the slalom course with a double boot. Most of the pros use double boots. Andy Mapple, the greatest slalom skier ever, still uses an an open rear toe plate. I'd say it's a pretty good bet to use whatever feels most comfortable to you.

As Hollywood touched upon, many who use an open toe plate, come out of the water with only 1 foot on the ski. They then put their free foot in the open toe plate after up and on top of the water. It actually requires less power from the boat and less strength from the skier than with two feet in the bindings. The free foot acts as sort of a rudder, the ski pushes to plane more easily. It is also a bit easier for those who, shall we say, are less limber and have trouble bending their knees into a ball with both feet in the bindings. Back in the 60s when we commonly skied behind 35 and 40 horse outboards, it was the only way we could get out of the water. It was the only way either of my parents ever skied.

However, you also should have no issue putting both feet in the bindings, even with a rtp, if you elect to do so.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 2:24pm
Just thought I'd update this post. Thanks much for all the suggestions. Now that I'm not fighting the boat as much, it's way easier. The main problem I think I had was that I didn't have the ski tucked up enough. I was trying to straighten my legs before I was on plane. Turns out I can't out muscle a 351... go figure. Anyway, I've ditched the wood skis and am using a borrowed 67" old Kidder Redline for the time being until I can track down a little bigger used ski.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 10:50pm
If you can get up on that kidder, you won't need a wider ski though at 6'3" you'll probably want a longer ski. BKH
Livin' the Dream

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 2:17am
I skied a kidder redline (double wiley high wraps) for many years, it is a pretty tough ski to learn to get up on. I loved that ski and I still have it, case and all! As BKH said, 67" may be small for you. I may just break it out this weekend and see how it rides compared to the new stuff.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 12:47pm
Shopping around for a longer ski... Quick question for you guys: Are binding patterns universal or do you need to be careful about matching certain bindings to skis?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic