Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another No Start Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another No Start Thread
    Posted: August-17-2010 at 12:22pm
Kind of stuck and need some direction…still not Firing.

Previous Post

Field Notes…

I have tested my voltage and it is up to 11v at the ignition and 9v at the coil. I know that is a little low, but I was able to get a spark with the new points and condenser I put in. I replaced the fuel pump and filter and have good fuel flow to the carburetor. The carburetor was leaking and had to JB weld part of the secondary fuel bowl. It’s still leaking a little from a broken o-ring on the fuel line and I need to find a new one (any suggestions), but I feel I should at least be getting some response out of it.

The engine still isn’t firing and I’m not sure what to do next.

o     My engine is a 1989 351 – PLD PR R18 – Left hand or standard rotation.
o     Prestolite E5JL Distributor – New autolite plugs.
o     Checked firing order – from serial number – 13726548

Thinking out loud…
o     Try to get more volts out of ignition wiring.
o     Replace spark plug wires as old ones are a little worn.
o     Firing order not starting at TDC.
o     Problem with my carburetor.
o     Looks like it is letting in fuel.
o     The electric choke seems to be working.
o     Problem with engine.

Back of mind…

I thought about brining it to a mechanic, but my goal was to get it fired up myself. I know it’s possible, maybe you could recommend some reading material or share some knowledge. If you have any questions, see my old thread or ask. I’ll be around.

Pictures

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 1:07pm
so how many volts are at the battery?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by flipflop flipflop wrote:

Kind of stuck and need some direction…still not turning over.

Previous Post

Before we all go barking up the wrong tree, can you clarify? Your previous post said you were getting some spark, which would indicate that the boat is cranking (turning over) just fine, but is not firing.

The former would have us checking the battery and starting circuit, the latter would have us diagnosing the ignition system... big difference.
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 1:33pm
Sorry for the bad terminology. Engine is not firing. I am getting some spark, but the engine is turning over via starter. 12v at battery, 11v at ignition and ballast resistor, 9v at coil.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 1:43pm
When you say 11V at the "ignition", where exactly are you measuring?

If your spark is weak, I might be inclined to "hot wire" from the breaker to the coil + while youre testing. This will take voltage drop issues (corroded connections, etc) as well as the ballast resistor out of the picture for the time being. If it runs well like this, you can go fix those issues. If not, at least theyre not compounding another problem.

First, move the the motor to TDC on the compression stroke. It helps to have a breaker bar with a 15/16" socket, but otherwise you can bump the starter. Put your finger over the #1 plug hole to determine which stroke youre on (compression stroke will push your finger off the hole).
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 1:45pm
Do you have an emergency tether on the boat?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 1:51pm
untill you have a good battery in the boat and repair the wiring harness connector's terminal that's gone your not going fix a damn thing
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:04pm
TRBenj - I will find TDC and adjust my wires accordingly. I've been reading more about timing and starting to grasp the concept.

Behind Propeller - Thanks for the advice. I am trying not to hurt myself. Keeping all gas away from the engine.

79 - I've read a lot of your posts and hoping to sway you into helping me. The battery is new and reading 12v and has 650 cca. It may be a little weak from all my testing, I should get it charged, but do you think thats really it. If so, I'll go charge it.

Maybe I can repair the wiring harness. I'll look at that again and see what my options are. It would be nice not to have to replace it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:09pm
It cant hurt to charge the battery, but I doubt its your issue if the engine is cranking reliably.

I think BHP is asking about the safety lanyard because theyre known to come unhooked or become intermittent, preventing an engine from starting. An '89 should not have the lanyard (at least it wouldnt have had one from the factory), and youve got spark- so I dont think thats an issue... but if you do have one, you may want to verify that its working properly.

If youve got spark and fuel, its more likely that youre simply out of time. I would get your firing order and timing straightened out first, then make sure youve got good, consistent spark.

Out of curiousity, did you replace the ignition switch as Pete suggested in your previous thread?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:10pm
13.5 volt is a good battery 12.5 is on it's last leg. and it doesn't matter how much voltage it has if the connections are corrioded or missing or the cable are undersized. There's areason your readings are low every where and it starts ate the battery then moves through the wires and on down the line.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:10pm

TRBenj - I will find TDC and adjust my wires accordingly. I've been reading more about timing and starting to grasp the concept.

Behind Propeller - Thanks for the advice. I am trying not to hurt myself. Keeping all gas away from the engine.

79 - I've read a lot of your posts and hoping to sway you into helping me. The battery is new and reading 12v and has 650 cca. It may be a little weak from all my testing, I should get it charged, but do you think thats really it. If so, I'll go charge it.   

Flip Flop-

Answer the question. Does your boat have an emergency lanyard on it?

If yes... It is the first thing to check.

flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:12pm
Yes, it didn't change anything. It was $40 at West Marine so I took it back.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:12pm
If it was a safety lanyard problem, he wouldn't be getting any power the the ballast resistor and coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

It cant hurt to charge the battery, but I doubt its your issue if the engine is cranking reliably.

I think BHP is asking about the safety lanyard because theyre known to come unhooked or become intermittent, preventing an engine from starting. An '89 should not have the lanyard (at least it wouldnt have had one from the factory), and youve got spark- so I dont think thats an issue... but if you do have one, you may want to verify that its working properly.

If youve got spark and fuel, its more likely that youre simply out of time. I would get your firing order and timing straightened out first, then make sure youve got good, consistent spark.

Out of curiousity, did you replace the ignition switch as Pete suggested in your previous thread?

so you want to over look all the crappy connections that are corrioded or missing, all the low voltage readings all over the F place, please you call your self a EE, what a joke your becoming with your advice.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If it was a safety lanyard problem, he wouldn't be getting any power the the ballast resistor and coil.

Pete-

Will an engine fire without power to the resistor and coil?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:26pm
If he is cranking reliably, then his battery and connections in the starting circuit should be good enough for now. It never hurts to clean them, but they arent causing any of the problems described. Like I said, it wouldnt hurt to run a jumper from the coil + to the breaker- this would eliminate any bad connections in the ignition system, as well as the ballast resistor.

Better learn to read more closely.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Pete-

Tim,
Of course not! He however stated he's got power!

Engine is not firing. I am getting some spark, but the engine is turning over via starter. 12v at battery, 11v at ignition and ballast resistor, 9v at coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:31pm
79 - We've spent a lot of time cleaning the battery terminals, connections, etc. The volts are as high as I can get them atm. The voltage loss is somewhere between the ignition switch and the ballast resistor. It will take some time for me to really get the volts up as I learn the electrical system. I will return the battery because it only had 12v when I bought it. I need to research the missing part in the wiring harness. It looks like there was never anything there or it was removed because it was so corroded. I might be able to drop a new pin in there to create a connection?

Behindpropeller - Sorry, thought you were making fun of me. As you know, my terminology is bad. It doesn't look like there is a safety laynard switch.

TRBenj - I'm leaning in your direction. I will investigate the timing and report back. I took my measurements with a multimeter at the ignition switch, ballast resistor, and coil (and everywhere else I could). I will try and bypass everything directly to the coil once I get the timing and firing order worked out.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:35pm
What did you end up doing with that VERY bad looking engine wiring harness plug/connector that was all burnt up and corroded?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:38pm

If he is cranking reliably, then his battery and connections in the starting circuit should be good enough for now. It never hurts to clean them, but they arent causing any of the problems described. Like I said, it wouldnt hurt to run a jumper from the coil + to the breaker- this would eliminate any bad connections in the ignition system, as well as the ballast resistor.

Better learn to read more closely.

try looking at the other thread for a change, hard to fire a coil or a spark plug with 6volts. A main engine connector that is oxidized and missing a terminall all together hell yea your getting all tons of current and voltage going throught the connections that's why there is 12v at the ballast and coil and why there is just enough voltage to spin the starter but not have enough energy to fire the plug.

a yellow spark at the plug might work on your lawn mower but it not going to cut it on a real engine.
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:46pm
8122pbrainard - It actually cleaned up pretty well. It doesn't look like I'm losing any volts there. Any change at the ignition switch is shown at the ballast resistor. I will take some pictures and look at it again tongiht. I just figured I was able to get a spark so I moved on.

It looks like I need to retrace my steps a little and pay attention to the details. I know its not going to be a a clear simple path to get the boat running, but I'm going to keep trying. I am trying to use this forum to keep me in line with where I need to be. Thanks.

79- Good point. I am going to go back and check my plugs for consistent reliable spark. My voltage is up a little from when I started. Should I consider replacing the coil?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:47pm

Pete-

Tim,

Engine is not firing. I am getting some spark, but the engine is turning over via starter. 12v at battery, 11v at ignition and ballast resistor, 9v at coil.

Pete-

Typically when a guy trips the lanyard it will actually start for a second. Thats from my experience on two different occasions.

Carry on though. No reason to check something simple like a safety lanyard first.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:56pm

8122pbrainard - It actually cleaned up pretty well. It doesn't look like I'm losing any volts there. Any change at the ignition switch is shown at the ballast resistor. I will take some pictures and look at it again tongiht. I just figured I was able to get a spark so I moved on.

It looks like I need to retrace my steps a little and pay attention to the details. I know its not going to be a a clear simple path to get the boat running, but I'm going to keep trying. I am trying to use this forum to keep me in line with where I need to be. Thanks.

79- Good point. I am going to go back and check my plugs for consistent reliable spark. My voltage is up a little from when I started. Should I consider replacing the coil?

replacing the coil isn't the issue the issue is you don't have enough voltage, this starts at the battery, then to the wires, the connection might be clean but the rest of the wire can be junk under the insulation where you can not see it, so if you not getting the same voltage reading within a .1 or so volts from the start of the wire to the end of the wire then the wire needs replaced, or the connection need cleaned depending how you are checking them, connected or disconnected.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:58pm

Pete-

Tim,

Pete-

Typically when a guy trips the lanyard it will actually start for a second. Thats from my experience on two different occasions.

Carry on though. No reason to check something simple like a safety lanyard first.

Tim

Tim,
This would be typical on a Indmar due to them using the ballast resistor by pass to the coil from the start relay. Were they Indmars?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 3:09pm
9V to the coil (through the ballast resistor) should be plenty for the points. If you read closely, he's already cleaned the connections and has consistent voltage from the ignition switch to the ballast resistor. I am confused why the switch wasnt replaced since there was a voltage loss through it, though. I dont believe (once cleaned) there is anything wrong with his harness. On boats with voltmeters, I believe the alt feed (orange wire) pin is unpopulated in the connector and is tied to the hot feed (red wire) internally on the engine side of the harness.

Long story short, I would do just as I suggested in my first post in this thread. Bypass the resistor and then verify the timing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 3:17pm

9V to the coil (through the ballast resistor) should be plenty for the points. If you read closely, he's already cleaned the connections and has consistent voltage from the ignition switch to the ballast resistor. I am confused why the switch wasnt replaced since there was a voltage loss through it, though. I dont believe (once cleaned) there is anything wrong with his harness. On boats with voltmeters, I believe the alt feed (orange wire) pin is unpopulated in the connector and is tied to the hot feed (red wire) internally on the engine side of the harness.

Long story short, I would do just as I suggested in my first post in this thread. Bypass the resistor and then verify the timing.

hey fool, doesn't mean a damn thing to have 9 volts at the ballast if your only getting 6 of those 9 volts to the coil dumby , last time I checked you need voltage at the coil for it to fire and the ballast doesn't even have to be hooked up for it to work. Better work on your reading skills and read all of the detail. all your creating is another tail chasing exercise again. You loss credability daily.

TIMMMY GO BACK AND READ I HYLIGHTED THE CRAP FOR YOU.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 3:25pm
I can read just fine, Chris- can you?

From the first post in this thread, after he cleaned his connections:

I have tested my voltage and it is up to 11v at the ignition and 9v at the coil.

Who is the one causing the tail chasing?
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 3:31pm
TRBenj - I did not replace the switch because it wasn't causing the drop in voltage.

I seperated the three purple wires coming off the switch and tested each once individually and paired. On one of the tests, I was able to get the 12v from the battery to go through the switch without losing voltage. That's why I was thinking the voltage loss was somewhere between the dash and the ballast resistor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 3:38pm

I can read just fine, Chris- can you?

From the first post in this thread, after he cleaned his connections:

I have tested my voltage and it is up to 11v at the ignition and 9v at the coil.

Who is the one causing the tail chasing?

YOU NEED TO LOOK A LITTLE CLOSER SLICK.

so bypass the ballast add more juice to the coil and it'll fire if that's the issue, doubt that it will thought.
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 3:44pm
79 - What about his response to the missing connection in the wiring harness? This would make sense because I didn't look like there was a connection there in the first place?

Not to say there isn't something eles going on and I doubt it will start. As thats just the way its going, but I want to at least find out where TDC is so I can ensure my wires are set up properly?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic