NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefoot race in Michigan, Sept 18th

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefoot race in Michigan, Sept 18th
    Posted: August-26-2010 at 1:23pm
The 15th annual Lockwood Barefoot Challenge is being held on Sept 18th in near Big Rapids, Michigan. (youtube "Lockwood start) It's a 27 mile race on the Muskegon river. The race is usually 70% smooth water, and 30% rough, which makes the Barefoot Nautiques very advantageous. The base camp, right on the river, has cabins, and tent areas. Our group usually stays for the weekend, and we do a lot of fun footing after the race. (youtube "bridge Flyers" and "8 man bridge flyers")
PM me if you want more info.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 2:57pm
Got any duct tape? 27 miles! Geez!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 12:12pm
Is anyone interested in doing this race? We have one team assembled, and a few extra footers in need of a boat (my 90hp outboard might not have enough power ). They are our newer footers, who call themselves the "Young Guns" Let me know if you want to foot, pull, or just head up for the event.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 10:41am
Steve - I know you mentioned the Muskegon River and Big Rapids but where specifically does this event start and end at? My wife and her family is from a small town nearby and I am curious.

I am not much of a barefooter myself and we have other plans that weekend, but I am intrigued.

Good luck to you and your team. What does the winner get, anything other than bragging rights and sore feet?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 2:50pm
Tim
It starts near Brower Park in Stanwood. We stay Friday and/or Saturday nights at the park in cabins. The race starts at 8:00 Saturday morning. As of right now there are 6 teams, with the possibility of a couple more. If anyone is interested in coming, let me know.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 12:22am
Steve - Thanks for the info. I am more familiar with the Muskegon River as it runs thru Big Rapids. It is only good for tubing (the float kind, not pulled behind a boat), canoeing, and kayaking in that area. It makes more sense to me now that the race is down farther near the Hardy Dam. You must make a couple of laps to get 27 miles in !?!?!

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 12:41am
We race from Hardy Dam to Brower park, back to the dam, and end back at the park. The three miles near the dam end are rougher than anyone should foot through (BFN territory). Next year I hope to see you there.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 12:47am
Steve is there a number to contact you at I have some questions. Thanks Pat
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 12:54am
Patrick
Go to my profile and email me. I'll shoot you my phone number that way. I'm not sure I want some of these hoodlums to know my phone number.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 1:21am
I plan on being there to watch/help if need be :-(
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 1:38am
Why not be in it
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 2:35am
Originally posted by pfelgner pfelgner wrote:

Why not be in it

If you are talking to me...My boat is still in pieces and I have no knee joint left and have not barefooted in the last 15 or so years. Last time I competed was in 1991
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 2:48am
That sucks I am trying to get a team up there but I may just bring my gear and see What happens I hope
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 10:37am
Pat
Bring that Martinique, and I'll throw 4 kids (The Young Guns) with you to make up a team. I have (4) newbees who are footing, but we don't have a boat for them yet.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 3:09pm
Sounds like a plan I will call you Saturday Eve to confirm pretty positive just need to see What my barefoot partner is going to do. Thanks Pat
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 7:51pm
As of right now, I know at least three BFN's are running the race. Mine, 87BFN's (James), and a yellow one from the west side. I'm hoping a fourth, with a sweet 502, joins the party.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 7:53pm
What are the rules of the race?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 8:02pm
RULES AND REG’S:
1. One skier must be on feet (no shoes, socks, etc.) at all times.
2. Must maintain skiing position.
3. Absolutely no riding on your butt. Cheaters will be disqualified.
4. Team limited to five (5) skiers.
5. Must follow original rotation until finished.
6. A drawing will decide boat positioning for start of race.
7. Normal boating laws must be obeyed, such as staying 100 feet from other boats, swimmers, docks, etc.
8. Minimum line length is 75 feet.
9. Don't be a douche

These are the official rules of the race organizer (except for #9 which I added). There are usually extra rules gone over at a pre-race meeting with the team captains.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 8:04pm

I forgot this part;

INBOARDS ONLY. Make sure each boat has enough gasoline to finish.
This year’s race will have first, second and third place awards. Following the race, we will have a cookout and present the awards..
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 9:28pm
Steve

I am hoping for warm weather next Saturday and some good showings by the BFN's that are there. Is there a manditory rest stop for this race or is it straight through?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 11:30am
Rest stop? We don't need no stinkin' rest stop!

What 87 is referring to is a mandatory 5 minute stop in the Buckethead race. The stop is meant for refueling if needed, because some boats can't make the 38 miles on one tank of gas.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 1:04am
Just got the call: Pat's bringing the Martinique and running with the Young Guns. How cool is that.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 3:39pm
You guys will be posting pictures, yes?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 6:50pm
Ok guess it's going to be gas on the go again. There was nothing more wild then going 51MPH pulling a footer and dumping a 6 gallon of gas into the tank. We were not going to make it to the gas stop at the buckethead race otherwise.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 7:11pm
James
I thought you're bringing the BFN. You should easily do this race with one tank. When are you heading up? We're heading up Friday, leaving White Lake around 5:00. Might have to stop for dinner at Hooters in Lansing.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 7:14pm

'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 7:30pm
We are heading up Friday night as well, not sure on the route and exact time of departure. I should know by Thursday. Bringing a can just in case, running WOT tends to drink the gogo juice down.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 7:37pm
Not counting on the BFN running out of fuel, but I like the security of the extra 6 on hand.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 7:38pm
Why not do 1 or 2 gallons at a time instead of holding up 1 huge gas can?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 8:02pm
For this race two, two gallon cans would work just fine. The Buckethead race the Air required the extra 12 gallons that was put in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic