NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dash Wiring Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Wiring Question
    Posted: November-13-2010 at 3:58pm
I'm asking this for my other boat, not a CC. The dash wiring needs some cleaning up, and I had a question or two. The ignition switch didn't have an accessory position so I just put a new one in with accessory. What I want is blower and bilge pump un-switched (when I say bilge, it has an un-switched float switch but I want the dash override unswitched as well). I want radio and nav lights on accessory post. The rest on ignition.

Right now there are 4 wires on the ignition post - is this OK, or should I put a junction block and just run 1 wire to the switch? The 2 unswitched items, can they go on the battery post, or same, mount a juntion block?

Finally, I need to splice a few wires - are the butt splice/shrink connectors OK, or should I be soldering and shrink wrapping?

Sorry for the simple questions, wiring is definitely my weakest area!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 4:46pm
David,
Junction blocks are always a nice touch but not needed if you don't want to go to the trouble. I think I've seen where the OEM must have put in longer machine screws on the terminals so they could stack on the wires!!!
Butt splices (or any heat shrink insulated crimp on connector) are fine under the dash. It's not going to see the real high moisture like on a trailer in the rain.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 6:07pm
Thanks Pete! In general the wiring looks OK, still factory stock. Where the prior owner (or prior-prior, not sure) did some work it's truly ridiculous, in a few cases he twisted wires together without even a wire nut, that's relying on hope to keep the connection! The good news is a bit of cleanup will get it back to reliable shape.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic