NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

-

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: -
    Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:07pm
-
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:22pm
-
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:26pm
93' has no wood in the stringers and is less $$$$.

That would be the first one I checked out.

92' is wood, huge job to replace stringers when it becomes necessary and no sure way to check stringer condition other then tearing them out.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by waker319 waker319 wrote:

i have talked to both owners and the boats will be selling for the same price. maybe the second one for 500-100 more than the first one.
I'm confused, it looks like the first post is listed at $9500 and the second for $14000...

I've never dealt with bad stringers before, but if the peace of mind of having composite comes $4000 cheaper, I might lean that way.

However, the 92 says it comes with a picnic basket, tough call...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:41pm
That '93 looks really clean. I've seen these boats for sale before...how long have they been for sale? Why haven't they sold?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:44pm
-
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:47pm
-
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:48pm
Now that you have spoken for them, most on this site are good enough guys that they won't steal your deals. But, those are good deals maybe I'll come have a look at them ;) just kidding!

851 hrs on a 93 are no big deal to me. Most guys will comment that have a lot more knowledge than myself but in my opinion I would not be worried about the hrs on the 93. Also, guys...the 93 is rated for 285hp and the 92 at 240 am I right?

With only 342 hrs on the 92 you would not have to worry about the stringers being bad...or so one would think. But, you have to wonder about where it was stored all it's life, always under it's cover (leaves moisture inside) stored outside, etc...

We have 1400 on our 90 and it's still running really strong...Still waiting for others to chime in :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:55pm
-
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:57pm
Go for a test drive for sure....

Take a look at the general condition of each boat. If the 92 has been kept extremely well (no oxidation, rips in seats, or dirt in the bilge) I wouldn't mind owning one. But if it's been used an abused I would go with the 93.

The 93 may need a pro-tech conversion which would be a bargaining point. I think it runs around 1k?

Do a search here, there is a good post with guidelines to purchasing a used boat.

IMHO- go with the 93.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:00pm
Love talking this stuff...

I honestly wouldn't be worried about either boat. For some reason I always had a crush on the 93's. Not sure why exactly, but the composite floor is definitely a plus on those. I'd drive both if you can. See which one you like best. I'm picky when it comes to how the boat handles and feels at the steering wheel...coming from the guy that told his parents they should buy a boat in CALI last fall without ever seeing it in person. lol

Check the underwater gear, spin the prop with your hand to make sure both turn pretty easy...if one doesn't it usually means it needs an alignment. hmm what else...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:05pm
-
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:07pm
-
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:07pm
Prop will spin, but nothing like an I/O prop would spin like. You are still spinning the whole shaft. But, it shouldn't be hard to spin either.

If you know anything about a motor, you should know how the boat kind of feels while idling/under power...Chris, what you got?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:08pm
reference section on the site, brochures...you can study those two years (92, 93) and see what differences there are. It's your homework for the nxt couple hours!

Report back when you're finished reading :) haha
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:12pm
Check compression, oil condition. On your test ride, let the boat warm up for a while and run it a bit. Check the trans fluid and check level/see if it smells burnt. Ask them how often they've changed fluids. (most I've talked to away from this site don't know they need to change the trans fluid.)

Ask about running in salt water. If so, what have they done to preserve the motor?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:12pm
A lot of people on this site have very strong opinions, and here's mine: the most important thing is to pick which one you like better...and a bunch of strangers on the internet can't tell you that. If its possible, drive them both, and if you get in one and fall in love, maybe that's how you decide.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

A lot of people on this site have very strong opinions, and here's mine: the most important thing is to pick which one you like better...and a bunch of strangers on the internet can't tell you that. If its possible, drive them both, and if you get in one and fall in love, maybe that's how you decide.

I agree, go with the '93 or forever be banished.

I'm just kidding. If I did persuade you in any way I'm sorry but I was voicing my humble opinion...which is what you asked for "_
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:22pm
-
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:23pm
I just read my last post again and realized it sounded a little sh*tty. I don't want to say that information on this site isn't valuable, quite the contrary, the wealth of knowledge that the members on this site have is amazing, and you made a great call reaching out to them. Just don't be too put off if not everything falls in line. Part of the fun of owning these boats is making the improvements, repairs, and enhancements that make it all yours.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:35pm
-
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 9:21pm
-
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 9:33pm
-
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 10:00pm
Regarding the Pro-Tech, if you can see a conventional distributor cap with plug wires it has already been replaced, my 93' went bad after about 10yrs some have lasted longer but most have been replaced by now, back when I did it the kit was about $450, could cost another couple hundred to install if you cannot do it yourself.

Here's a pic of my motor after the pro-tech conversion, you can see the Blue cap.

As mentioned I would take the boat out, see how everything works, if you search I believe a buyers checklist has been posted before, could give you a good checklist to follow.

Good Luck!

PS, the lifetime warranty only applies to the original owner I believe.

On newer boats it can be transferred but even that is limited, highly doubt there is any warranty coverage available.
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 10:07pm
I've replaced the stringers in two boats. Well I paid to have it done it's a big project. This can run you anywhere between $2500 and $3500 depending on what materials you use etc.

My guess is that the stringers on the '92 should be fine for several years to come unless the owner just left it out in the elements and uncovered.
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 11:18pm
I would probably bite on the '93. Composite stringers, 351 HO (gt heads)...the only draw back for me is the purple color. The ProTec can be replaced pretty easily.
Drive em before you buy. Run em up pretty good. Stop, start, hole shot,turning manuevers. Listen to the engine,feel for undue vibration,check for leaks (oil and water). Having driven an I/O you know how a boat is supposed to run. These boats drive better and are more resposive.
I would check them out, but be ready to make a quick decision. They will get sold pretty quickly. Have money ready to put a deposit down to hold the boat(if you think you want to buy it) until you make a final decision.
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 11:40pm
-
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 11:49pm
Waker319, if you look at Quinner's picture above. You see a regular distributor cap. The ProTec system utilizes an electronic distributor. It is round and black, no plug wires coming off of it, sits in the same spot as that distributor cap in the picture above. That is the easiest way to tell. I have a '93 with the ProTec and 440 hours. So far so good.
Good Luck!
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 12:46am
-
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 12:54am
Just figured I'd chime in as well. It's kind of iffy going with the '92 and earlier boats. IMO it's a significant reduction in value with wood stringers. 850 hours should be just broken in, lol. Plenty of live left. Sure the colors of the '92 are better, but at the same time, "wood stringers". If I were in the $10k+ market, it would be a composite construction boat. $8k- wood would be in the mix. The in between would allow for that hidden jem that was just awesome and I had to have.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic