NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut & Shaft Alignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 4:34pm
Rob,
When you do the stringer job, you'll have the hull on stands or on the trailer with stands. That's the time when carefull measuring is key. We really don't know what the problem with the hull is yet. Yes, probably some hull sag but is the strut or even the log really in the correct spot?? A length of 1&1/4" tubing through the strut and the log makes a great alignment tool. Don't worry about it now!!! Just keep a eye on your shaft to engine alignment until you do the stringer job.

Go ahead and shim and build up the epoxy base.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 3:46pm
Just curious - when I replace the stringers, how do I align the hull with the unshimmed strut?? Is this a DIY project? Also, do I now go ahead and just shim the rear (~.220") and use 5200 as filler inbetween. I really want to do what's best here.

Thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

And,   Where did I ever say I have not seen shims???

Al,
I'm sure you have seen shims but we were talking about them being used at the factory. It must have been this statement:

I would highly doubt the problem came from the factory.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 12:26pm
And,   Where did I ever say I have not seen shims???

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 9:34am
can someone find that article from that surveyor who claims alignment is not important? Pete did you ever get a chance to read it?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 9:31am
too funny, the guy i recently did the Volvo outdrive for explicitly said "are you a certified Volvo guy?" i said no, i asked what he did, "I drive a tanker" I asked him, are you certified to haul nuclear waste, he said nope but i easily could.....i think i insulted him more than he did I
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 9:23am

My '66 and '74 never had shims.

Al,
You got lucky or rather the CC factory did!!!

Wheew!!!     I thought you we're going to ask for my birth certificate there for a minute!

Naw, I was just trying to figure out why you've never seen shims under a strut from the factory!?

When I was at Watercraft, I did plenty of prop changes. It seemed like a era when everyone was playing arount with different pitch props to find the ideal "power" or "speed" prop! With every prop change, I was instructed to do a quick alignment check by spinning the prop. This is when problems popped up and I learned about the shims from the factory!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 9:55pm
Wheew!!!     I thought you we're going to ask for my birth certificate there for a minute!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 9:48pm
My '66 and '74 never had shims.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 9:36pm

'75-'91

I was out of the marina work by then. We are talking about a 74 so maybe CC did some better work on locating and aligning struts by the time you got started in 75 and the reason you haven't seen shims under struts from the factory!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 9:07pm
But, In the late 80's Trojan Yacht tried to hire me away from the 2nd Correct Craft dealer.
I refused to re-locate.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 8:59pm
'75-'91
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 8:48pm

Two Correct Craft dealers.

The 2nd dealer sent two guys to hire me away from the first dealer.

The first Correct Craft dealer being a Mr. Phil Hildebrandt Jr.

What years?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 8:43pm
Two Correct Craft dealers.

The 2nd dealer sent two guys to hire me away from the first dealer.

The first Correct Craft dealer being a Mr. Phil Hildebrandt Jr.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Rob,
On the strut alignment, it looks like they had a issue with this one before considering the shim you found and it may have even been at the factory. I've seen it before!!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

well i would agree that the hull is sagging, but not that much

I agree. I still feel most of the problem came from the factory.

Al,
You mentioned it way back but forgive me, what dealership did you work for? Was it a Correct Craft dealer? I was at Watercraft Sales in the late 60's and early 70's. What, did the factory send you the good hulls without shims!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 7:16pm

I have aligned boats (plural),   then all of a sudden, 15 to 20 years later these exact same boats will not align to the log without rear strut bolt shiming.

A re-placed, improper strut could also be suspect.
It is clearly bent in the pic.   But that would be side 2 side, not up and down.

If memory serves,   The Martiniques of that vintage, had engines set further back than the Ski Nautiques.
ie;   Ski Nautique- 50" prop shaft.
      Martinique-   43"-47" prop shaft.
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 5:58pm
Yes, I went with the traditional rubber style for good or for bad.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

well i would agree that the hull is sagging, but not that much

I agree. I still feel most of the problem came from the factory.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 12:24pm
I've seen worn shafts but it's more of a burnishing. It's the cutlass that's sacrificial. A shaft will have a tolerance of plus or minus around .001". Did you install a traditional rubber cutlass?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 11:55am
Must be shaft wear then? How much is acceptable? I'm having it measured next week.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 11:31am
The bushings should hold the shaft pretty firmly.

No need for the prop to be on- it has nothing to do with alignment.
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 11:11am
Some afterthoughts on the alignment - is it normal to be able to still have some clearance between the shaft and the new bushings? It's not as tight as I thought it would be, as I was able to move it around a bit when trying to align it in the log. I also assume that the propeller should be on (at least very lightly) when trying to do this correctly???   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 9:35am
well i would agree that the hull is sagging, but not that much, thats a short run from the strut to the log hole, my guess is a bent strut, you will be able to tell when you set that boat in the water and the sag should ease
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 2:39am
All very good points, and I really appreciate the insight. I'm taking it all in.

I've got a lot of work to do, so I'm taking one thing at a time. I will likely have to circle back on some of this when I'm ready, but at the moment, I am focused on getting the strut and shaft measured and straightened, if both are required. After making several phone calls, I have found a shop that has experience with doing both. It will likely be Monday before I can get the parts dropped off. This weekend will likely be dedicated to fitting, cutting, and sealing my temporary secondaries. My goal is to have this boat ready by Memorial Day!

If I'm lucky, I might also have a little time to hunt some morel mushrooms while the epoxy is setting up !!

I will definitely have more questions come this Fall as to how to fix the "hull sag" before I put new stringers in.

Can the hull be repaired? I see a lot of "lines" going across the width of the boat at regular intervals and continue for the entire length. Are these "flex" cracks in the gel beneath the paint due to waterlogged stringers? Is this costly to fix??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 5:34pm

The rear mounts should be a common sense "given"

Adjust accordingly.

Al,
Some of the people that come to the site need more help than just saying "given" and "adjust accordngly". Just trying to clear that up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 2:48pm
The rear mounts should be a common sense "given"

Adjust accordingly.

Meaning, you should still have enough adjustment.   If not, shim!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Pete - I see what Al is saying, shim the front of the motor mounts...not the strut mounts.

Chris, I know what Al stated and has stated it again regarding just the front mounts.

When you shim a strut, you must also shim the forward motor mounts.

What isn't mentioned is the rear mounts on the trans. As I mentioned, with just adjusting the front, the trans output shaft will be lower. This is not the direction needed. The aft mounts need to be raised as well. Do to the forward location of the aft mounts, if only the front mounts are raised, the engine "teeter taughters" and the tail end goes down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 2:12pm
Whenever an old hull starts to sag,   the strut will no longer line-up without shims.
When you shim a strut, you must also shim the forward motor mounts.   Unless you have plenty of upward adjustment on the mounts.

A one more season temp fix.   Do not grind or drill holes,   shim away!

Don't molest your parts or hull just for one more season.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 1:28pm
Pete - I see what Al is saying, shim the front of the motor mounts...not the strut mounts.

Al, I wouldn't call Pete's process a temporary fix. What makes you think so?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 12:35pm

DO NOT MOVE THE STRUT !!!
Don't grind on it!

It's a temporary fix. Right?

Shim the strut, then shim the front motor mounts.

You have a severe case of rotten stringer hull sag.

Then, when you do your stringers, aline the hull with the un-shimmed strut.

Cool boat!

Al,
Rob can't even get the shaft throught the hull hole and log without it binding.

Shim the front mounts only??? That will drop the ouput shaft at the trans and make it worse!! What about the aft mounts on the trans?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic