Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut & Shaft Alignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 11:06am
Yeah, you turned it around in 3 days for me last July right before my lake vacation. You did me right. Much appreciated! Any suggestions? Considering the shape everything was in prior to this, I would hope I am only helping things.

In the picture, you'll notice both lag bolts missing. These are the only ones that I have removed fearing that aren't as tight as they should be. Any temporary fix for this also?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 11:28am
Rob,
Pour CPES down the loose lag holes and then epoxy.

Eric,
I did notice your new decals!! Getting professional? BTW, I can't get a close up to see what they say. Anything about the trans being shipped without oil?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 11:40am
You mean you've got add oil to it when it comes back?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 2:22pm
I would have to disagree on the CPES - epoxy for the motor mount lag.

A much better solution would be Polyurethane Glue.
Because it requires a 10-25 percent Moisture Content to activate.
And, It expands, So it would fill any rotten voids you might have around the lag.

Keep it....from sinkin'
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 3:13pm
Al:

Do you have the name of a product you'd recommend and where to get it? Do I simply fill the entire hole with it and then screw the lag in the new material?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 3:31pm
Robb,
I've got to disagree with Al on this one. We don't very often but I must in this case. I've used plenty of polyurethane glue and always have it in my shop for wood projects. Elmers "Ultimate" and "Gorilla" are two popular brands. It's the same chemical make up as "Great Stuff" foam and does foam up/expand but, in it's open foamed state very weak. It's only when it's compressed into a thin layer say on well jointed wood that it's strong. I feel Al is worried about you having a big hole down there that will be difficult to fill by using CPES and epoxy. Yes, this may be the case and you may need to get a funnel in the lag hole and keep pouring in the CPES!!! If you do find this to be the case, I suggest thickening the epoxy and injecting it with a cartridge type caulking gun. Empty tubes are available. They are a mess to fill but do work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 3:36pm
Who's Billy?

I'd be concerned about epoxy not curing in a wet stringer.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Who's Billy?

I'd be concerned about epoxy not curing in a wet stringer.

Sorry Al!! I caught my mistake and you'll see did some editing.
As long as the water isn't liquid down there, I don't feel there will be a problem with the exothermic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 3:54pm
Pete:

Dumb question - do you just fill the entire hole with resin and self-tap with the lag once it has hardened?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 4:11pm
Robb,
There's no such thing as a dumb question! If you do get the hole pretty full, you'll need to be real careful with drilling the pilot hole for the threaded section and the clearance hole for the lag's shank. If it starts to bind up real bad, open up the pilot hole to the next size.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 5:34pm
Pete:

That's what I thought - thanks for confirming. I'll give it a go tonight.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2011 at 9:41am
always had the stickers Pete, rarely do we ever get transmission pictures on the site.....always get pictures of shiney boats, hopped up engines, chrome, boobs,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 9:37am
I am ready to mount the strut to its new base. Can someone provide the proper steps for bedding it with 5200? Also, is a polyurethane paint recommended for painting the inside hull/bilge?

Thanks!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 12:03am
Robb - I just troweled on the 5200 around the perimeter evenly, about 1/8 inch thick. I also put a few stripes in the middle for good luck.   Wear gloves & have rags ready to wipe off the excess.   Make sure you have dry fitted it & have your exact position marked. Put some 5200 in the holes & tighten the mounting screws right away. It would even be a good idea to put the shaft in, coupler on, & check alignment before that stuff sets up (takes a day or so). You won't be adjusting it after it sets up!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 2:12am
Chris:

Thanks. This will be a project for tomorrow night. I didn't figure it'd be difficult - just didn't want to make a mess by putting on way too much. I also wasn't sure if the screws get snugged first and then tightened later after the 5200 starts to harden.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 3:00am
Robb,   I wouldn't put any 5200 in the 4 holes. The bolts will just push it up and out.   Grab the bolt at the top and smear some on the threads.
The messier it is means "longer term leak free enjoyment."
Don't get any in your hair, if you do, comes out with mineral spirits.

Why paint bilge now?   Isn't this a "one more season" fix?
Just drive it till you start breaking motor mounts.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 9:09am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Robb,
Why paint bilge now?   Isn't this a "one more season" fix?
Just drive it till you start breaking motor mounts.

EXACTLY!!!! This is a season fix. We do not want people to get the wrong idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 5:19pm
Just want to finish things off right and make it look nice; it won't take me but a few minutes to paint the areas I replaced. I know most of it will be covered, but I'm a perfectionist - one of my many downfalls.

I am going to put the flange back on tonight, and I was wondering how long to heat it up in the oven and what temp? I was thinking 350 - 400 deg F for about an hour. Any other advice on this process would be appreciated.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 8:39pm
Robb,
Crank up the oven as high as it will go. 500? Of course don't put it in self clean mode!! The hour will do it. Then, work fast and have everything ready.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 2:56am
Thanks Pete. I didn't get a chance to this, or much else, on the boat this evening. After installing the shaft coupler and new packing, I slid under the boat to recheck the alignment, and it is now sitting low in the log. I give up!!    

I removed the rudder gland to replace the rope packing and found this:

-Should that bushing be in there?
-What size rope packing should I use? I can't tell as the piece is massively distorted.
-Should there be more than just a single piece in there?

Time to hit the hay............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 8:59am
Robb,
With the shaft now sitting low in the log, you need to move on to aligning the engine.

I have never seen a spacer inside a packing gland!!! Looks like a PO only had enough packing to make up one ring! Yes, you should have at least 3 rings of packing. As far as the size goes, it really varies. It's almost lie CC installed what ever they had from what ever manufacturer they could buy from at the time. I suggest getting both the 1/4 and 3/16 and se what fits. It;s not expensive. I'd go with the Teflon "Gortex".

How did the coupling install go?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 9:41am
never seen a bushing either, u need minimum of 2 pieces of rope staggered tighten it up and then loosen and add a third. dont crank it down or you will burn the shaft and packing
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 11:17am
I believe you're right. I'm finding several "shortcuts" that the POs have taken on things. You'll be seeing them sometime in the future when I start to address some of them.

I did not get the flange coupler installed last night; I was only able to put the hose and gland (not sure what this assembly is called) on. I apologize for confusing you by using the wrong terminology - it was late, and I was depressed about the shaft sitting low after installing this.

Could the hose and gland cause the shaft to sit a little lower due to its weight or position? I was just thinking that it could slightly bias the shaft in any direction. If not, then I think the shaft log is off. Looking at it, I'm wondering if it wasn't damaged at some point and had to be reglassed. It certainly looks like it could have been. This might explain the bent strut, hull gouges (from prop), etc.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 11:50am
Ive seen that bushing before on CC rudders- but its supposed to go on top of the packing nut, not inside it!

Lots of things can influence the position of the shaft- the log hose, packing gland, the unsupported weight of the shaft itself. You need to find the position where it spins most freely in the strut- this is when its aligned, and when (hopefully) it should be centered in the shaft log.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Lots of things can influence the position of the shaft- the log hose, packing gland, the unsupported weight of the shaft itself. You need to find the position where it spins most freely in the strut- this is when its aligned, and when (hopefully) it should be centered in the shaft log.

Robb,
Tim explained it very well. I suggest cutting a V block of wood to set the forward end of the prop shaft in. This will overcome the weight and side forces from the hose to the packing gland. Move it till you find that "happy" spot again and hopefully the shaft is still pretty centered in the log from your strut project. Clamp of the V block and then go after the engine alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 1:49pm
I'm sure glad we all think alike!! This is exactly what I did last night, although I just used a scrap piece of wood and shimmed up the gland/hose assy. Once I did this, the shaft wanted to slide right out of the strut! Luckily, I planned ahead and had a block to stop it from coming out.

I guess I was getting hung up on the fact that the shaft's position when aligned in the log is where it should remain - not necessarily the case as I'm finding out. I feel better already.

I think I'm going to leave the bushing out altogether and go with the rope packing.

Thanks guys.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 1:56pm
I would recommend the virtually dripless goretex packing instead of the wax impregnated rope... its only a few bucks more.

The bushing should be used on top of the packing nut- dont leave it out. Its meant to bring the installed height of the rudder up.
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 2:28pm
Tim:

Roger that! Consider it done. Thanks again for your insight.
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 2:04am
Well, mounting the flange coupling did not go so good. The first time was my fault; I got in such a hurry that I started to put it on backwards, and once I noticed my mistake, it was too late. After it cooled down from piping hot to just hot, I proceeded to remove it AGAIN. Once off, I threw it back in the oven at 500 for another hour. The second time, I got to within a half an inch and that was it! Afterwards, I was able to slide the key out very easily. Suggestions?? Guess the weekend is out now................maybe Memorial Day, but I'm not holding my breath. Got a lot to put back together yet after I get this problem solved.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 9:36am
so Pete, since its ok to slide hammer the shaft out, Cant we just beat the shaft in?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic