NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Added New Dash Ground to 93 with Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Added New Dash Ground to 93 with Pics
    Posted: June-01-2011 at 1:47am
Hi All, this weekend I added a new dash ground to my 93 Ski Nautique. It helped my gauges read more accurately and my Perfect Pass works reliably now.

I figured I'd take some pictures, because this one of those projects that everyone mentions doing and it sounds easy enough, but sometimes it's good to see the details.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 10:57am
Nice work. I like the idea of running it to the engine rather than right to the battery. Slick!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 11:15am
Thanks Joel! It was definitely nice to have the Perfect Pass working reliably all weekend too.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 1:06pm
Did you just do the ground only?    I like the explanation written on the pictures, what did you use to do that? How many volts did you pick up at the dash?

I added a 2 batterys, 2 switches a ground bus for the batterries and a voltage sensing relay last weekend. I'm sick of wiring, but the stereo will run for many hours now and that is making the detailing process much easier.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 1:17pm
Nice!! this is the help I was needing to do it in my nautique

Nice pictures!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 1:26pm
I just did the ground. My local west marine only had 8' rolls of 10gauge red, so I figured rather than butt connecting two together, I would wait until I could get a 15' piece and do it right. I also ordered a new Ignition breaker from Nautiqueparts, as the old one was a little suspect, but I'm still waiting to get it in the mail. So, I figured I'd do that together, I have to pick up some more terminal connectors as well.

Everything works about 80% better with just the new ground, but the blower does still slow down a little bit when you turn the key to on. I cleaned up/re-insulated and re-connected a lot of the connections under there that looked suspect too, and that helped things as well.

I'd be curious to see pictures of your stereo/dual battery install; sounds cool. Are you using the PerfectPass itself to test voltage at the dash?

I actually just used Microsoft Paint that comes with Windows to add those little text boxes. There's a tool that looks like a "A" and you can draw a little box in the picture then write in there. You have the option of the white background, or just putting the words right on the picture. I used the white background so it would stand out. You can also use Paint to cut down the image sizes. That's why I was using it, then I discovered the text box thing.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 1:50pm
Thanks Kap
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 2:45pm
I'm a Apple person so no windows, I'm sure I can find something if I look.

I'm getting the volts from the guage on the dash, 13.5 if I remember. There's still some drop, the new alternator is putting out 14.5 at the battery. I haven't checked to see what's changed with all the new wiring. I do know that there isn't any drop between any of the batteries and the amps, I was a little worried because I moved 2 of them to the other side of the boat. I haven't even started the motor so I don't know if anything has changed at the dash, but it shouldn't have.   Once I get done with the detailing this weekend I'll figure out how to post up my wiring diagram for the batteries, there's not much to see, I tried to make everything stealth and hidden so pictures wouldn't help much. I'm not the best with electrical stuff, but I'm learning, I was very glad that evrything didn't burn to the ground when in hit the switch the first time.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 12:21am
I figured I would add a few new pictures to this thread. I replaced the cross thing I made above with a more proper ground bus.

I chose a dual circuit bus, because it was lower profile than some of the other bus strips. I made it into one, by wiring the two sides together.

I also added a positive to the input side of my ignition dash breaker button. This perked up my horn a bit, and made my Perfect Pass able to start up with the blower on.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 12:25am

The ratcheting crimper really comes in handy. If you close it one "click" on to your terminal, it will just hold it in place automatically. Then, you can more easily insert your stripped wire end into the opening. Well worth the money over the cheapo one I was using before.

The multi stack terminals are very useful. You take a length or wire, and attach these to one end, and a ring terminal to the other. You put the ring side on your bus bar. Then, the multi stack connection can connect to your gauge, and re-connect the original daisy chain on top, to keep it in tact.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 12:46am
How do you keep track of anything in all that mess with everything laying around. Lol.   I just throw it all in my 5gal bucket and dump it out where I need it, saves time, I bet you spent more time organizing everything than you did making wire connections.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 12:56am
It's the OCD I guess    I did it partially for the pictures too.

The cargo liner is nice, cause it keeps everything contained. Black isn't necessarily the best choice when working in the afternoon sun though.
Cahill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cahill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2012 at 8:08am
Where did you get that ground bus? I wanna do something like that. Thanks
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2012 at 2:05pm
I got the ground bus bar at West Marine. There is a big one near me that has a good selection of all that stuff.

Keep in mind, the one I used is actually a two circuit one. I made it all into one circuit with that one wire that loops back onto it. I chose that particular model, because it's low profile. Some of the other ones had studs that were really tall.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 2:13am
With my dash pod out of the boat I replaced 2 breakers and checked all the wires and replaced the speedo bulbs. I have 2 disconected wires???

There is one black wire running from the ignition switch over to the area of the breakers that is disconected. I have no idea where it connects. The black wire is connected to the ignition terminal with 2 purple wires and 1 pink?

I also hace a very small resistor connected to the ignition breaker terminal that is not connected to anything on the other end?
Thanks.......Tom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 3:16am
Neither of those sound right, blacks are grounds. Do all the lights work for all the gauges?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:33am
My volt meter reads low, This causes my gauges to read high. I know its a problem but I know the system charges properly so I haven't messed with it because I know it's a bad ground. I really like that Idea Brian. Quick simple effective fix. Probably on my to do list now. I was going to re run the grounds but that will be much easier. I also found a voltage drop over my ignition switch and my ignition breaker. Those have since been fixed. A few minutes with a ohm meter told me the voltage story and the ground story. CC sure did make it easy to get a good ground with the battery right beside you under the dash in the 2001 hulls!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 12:35pm
Whatever you do, shrink and seal everything. Every time I've had an issue it has started or gotten worse because the boat got too wet. It seems like no mater what at least once a year mine gets caught out in the rain somewhere that I can't keep it dry like I do when I'm at home.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 1:02pm
Don, What does not sound right? There is a factory installed black wire disconected from over the years....probably by acident. I am trying to get information on where it connects. As with the small resistor. I will start a new thread in Maintance. Thx
Thanks.......Tom
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by tbeard tbeard wrote:

With my dash pod out of the boat I replaced 2 breakers and checked all the wires and replaced the speedo bulbs. I have 2 disconected wires???

There is one black wire running from the ignition switch over to the area of the breakers that is disconected. I have no idea where it connects.

Are you sure it is black? It should be red. Unless someone has done some wiring of their own. Black typically signifies ground, and the ignition switch is not dealing with ground at all, it is just switching positive voltage.

Does your 88 have a separate push button ignition breaker and key? My 93 has that.

If it does have that seperate breaker, there should be a wire that carries switched voltage from the breaker (usually red) to the battery (input) side of the key switch.

The black wire is connected to the ignition terminal with 2 purple wires and 1 pink?

This black wire is really a red positive I'm guessing. Then, you should have one purple for iginition to the motor, and the other purple tends to go to gauges and accessories that are for key switched voltage. They both go to the IGN (Or on part of your circuit). The Pink must be your starter wire, cause that's all that's left.

I also have a very small resistor connected to the ignition breaker terminal that is not connected to anything on the other end?
This is one of two things. It might have something to do with the little red lights that indicate a breaker is on.

The other thing it could be is the Capacitor (I think it is called?) that deals with the Nav/Anchor lights. It's meant to be one way, so that when you switch on your navs, the anchor (stern) lights get power too. But, when you switch on your anchor lights individually, the front Nav light should Not get power.

I personally like the idea of having them just be separate anyway.

Of course, pics of what you're looking at will confirm.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 3:05pm
I think Brian pretty well covered the not right part, I'll agree with the sounds like it was added. I haven't run into resistors or anything like that on mine, but there are a lot of wires and I haven't messed with all of the yet. I would strech it out and see where it will reach, make sure that everything that it could reach is working. Once you know that then you can use it or remove it.   They key is usually a good place to get switched power so there is a good chance it was for something that isn't there anymore.
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 11:33am
New "electrician" taking a shot at this upgrade. I have added the bus, cleaned up some wiring under the dash with the original ground chain, but am now second-guesing my choice of where I ran the new ground on the engine. After looking earnestly (I have Pro Tec) I wired to the battery ground on the engine block up front and THEN found what I believe is the original ground on the back of the engine. Do I need to run my new 10 AWG back to the original ground or am I good the way I have it? Thanks in advance!

Under the dash pod, the new bus:

The new "front" ground on the engine block:

The original ground at the back of the engine (the post and nuts to the right of center):

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 11:43am
Your new ground is just fine; that is where I put mine.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 11:47am
Yup, I agree. Your choice of dash-to-engine ground should work great.

One note, when you use a "dual" bus, as a single (ground only) bus, you have to remember to make a loop to connect the two sides to make it all one.

It looks like you did that, but it's a little tough to tell for sure with the picture.
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 12:05pm
Yup, the loop is there ... Thank you very much ... once I had completed the work I, of course, found the ground at the back ... it was like "Oh S****" ... as I am trying to improve things, not muck them up. Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 12:20pm
In an ideal world the block is just a big ground buss.
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 1:25pm
Yup ... that is what I thought I understood ... just looking for clarification ... Don, can't wait to show you my stereo solution ... busy, busy, but I will get pics up soon!!! Leaving on SN vacation on Wed. morning!!!

Last electrical question, I need to wire up my PP StarGazer ... just want to clarify that I am put the leads on the right posts on the ignition switch.

The ignition:

The leads off the PP unit:

IMG]uploads/12767/PP_Leads.jpg[/IMG]

Just to be clear ... I am going to connect the purple lead to the purple/red on ACC (12 o'clock) as shown, and the red lead to the BAT all red (at the 6 o'clock) ... the PP speedo requires a "continuous 12V source." Thanks, as I am trying to get this done today!

Next, Gore shaft packing and then we are good to go (I HOPE)!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 1:30pm
PP goes on the purple wire, run the ground to the buss, grey goes to the tach.   Be sure to use Enoch wire so that you can still flip the dash and work on things.
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 2:32pm
Don, this is just the Precision Star (JUST the GPS speedo) ... it's installation says "Red" to continuous 12v, "Purple" to a switched 12v source ... "[m]ost boats will have a Purple wire at the ignition termini and at the back of your gauges if they are powered when the key is turned on" and the "Black" to ground. Please clarify. Oh yes, sorry, Enoch wire???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 2:56pm
Keith's video will probably show where, I've never done one of those. Doesn't sound much different though, red to the battery wire at the key, purple to the switched terminal at the key and black to the ground buss. I'm guessing it's not as temperamental about the voltage as the PP.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic