NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boating memories with Dad

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 1:31am
Alan: Skied with Hollywood...know exactly what you mean!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 11:37am
I don't have many memories of my father because he died when I was 6. However, he is certainly resonsible for my life long love of inboard boats.

We always vacationed in Maine. We had a small outboard, but he had a friend who bought a new Century every couple of years that owned a place on the lake where we rented. The last summer he was alive, his friend came over to visit us with his son in their new 1963 Resorter 17. I remember very well sitting in his son's lap driving their Resorter that day.

My brothers and I always wanted an inboard after that, and in 1966 or 1967 we saw a new Barracuda at the Boston boat show. That became our dream boat.

In 1970, our outboard was on its last legs. I was at the marina trying to crank it over by hand. When I had gotten to the marina, I had spotted a CC Barracuda in the yard. The marina owner told me it was for sale and I told him that my brothers would be interested in it. After a half hour of trying to start our outboard, this party boat came in to the gas dock and the marina owner told me it was the father of the owner of the Barracuda. The guy in the party boat turned out to be my father's friend, and the owner of the Barracuda was his son, whose lap I sat on when I drove the Century.

His son brought the Barracuda over to our rental cottage that day, and my brothers bought it. We had that boat for 10 years. Funny how things work out.
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 2:48pm
Don't really know how to put in to words, but I will share with you the fact that I have lived on a lake for the past 15 years for only one reason, because of the fact that it was only about a mile from my dad's house on the lake! We lost him in January and it has been some kind of adjustment. I was feeling kind of down today and trying to find something to change my attitude, like always, I came to this site. Wonder who was pointing me to this thread?? I have come to the conclusion that my definition of success is to log on a few years from now and read a post about how my two boys enjoyed their time on the lake with their dad...now that would be a success!
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by tjlake tjlake wrote:

Wonder who was pointing me to this thread??

I don't believe in coincidiences; especially with this forum--too much good has come from it.

Nice thoughts TJ; I like your definition of success. And, it's never to late (sometimes in spite of what has been) to use this moment to make a memory.

Chuck

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

[QUOTE=tjlake] Wonder who was pointing me to this thread??

I don't believe in coincidiences; especially with this forum--too much good has come from it.

Chuck

For those out there that still have your parents, a word to follow.......
Take plenty of pics,ask questions about their parents and write it down,enjoy every day with them as if it were their last.ENJOY THEM WHILE THEY ARE HERE....

Chuck I agree with that statement completely;
Karen and I call them " GOD MOMENTS"
Kinda a second chance to look and see whom really is driving,and if I think it is me!!!!!
I need to move over to the observer seat......boat dr
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 5:31pm
Well, Dad's 80 today, just tried calling to say hello but he's not home from WORK yet. He could probably still work me under the table any day, always could.

Mom's trying to find some of our old fishing pics, I'll post when they turn up and tell a few fish stories.
JCole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 12:19am
I was just sitting at my computer again reading all these wonderful memories of parents, and the love they have given us for boating. I like the story tjlake posted about being close by his dad, and how much better you feel when you can go to this forum and read and post more stories. It is comforting and gives us a peace in knowing that there is someone in charge greater than us, and thank God we can all find comfort in sharing memories together. Boat dr was right "God Moments" are great, and keep these stories going. My family shared a great weekend last week on the water. My daughter (who is almost 20 and still loves being with us on the water) was just asking me what we had planned for the weekend. She would head to the lake with us if we were going. I hope also my daughter and son will write someday how much they enjoyed growing up on the water. That would truly be success, like someone has already quoted. Thanks again for sharing all your memories.
Jane
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:04am
JCole, thanx for the time to share with us about you and yours. If you think time with your kids on the water is great , just wait...
Let me tell you story of absolute joy;
3 Weekends ago 10 year old granddaughter graduated from the tube to the kneeboard,just lieing down and being pulled,great time with her and her Dad, My Son.
Last weekend she learned to sit up . steer and do some cutting up.The old man now has 2 generations of water rats.
I still Ski pretty well to boot, Ain't God Great???????????boat dr
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:25am
Chuck; You know what I think about coincidiences...don't belive in them anymore.

dr; I always thought I had to be driving the bus...when I moved over I really started to enjoy the ride.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:31am
jbear, Youth is wasted on the young.......
       Wisdom is wasted on the old........

Would I change anything in my life,,,,,,,

"NO FRIGGIN" WAY"

Would not have enjoyed the ride;
       I Had To Steer!!!!!!!!

Thanx for sharing John....boat dr
JCole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 9:43pm

Me and my niece skiing together.

My son and niece sking together.

My brother and his daughter skiing together

My husband on his toy.

My daughter and my niece skiing together.

My skiing bums around 7:30pm. We made a full day of it.

My daughter's boyfriend (whom we taught to ski and wakeboard this summer) skiing with my niece.

We thought we had jbear with us for a second.

Another old boat on the lake. The man said it was a 1955 with the Johnson motor being a 1956.

A great day was had by all.
Jane
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 5:14am
Thanks Jane! Loved the 7:30pm picture...smiles on everyone. Thanks for the plug...looked like my boat...right hair color but not long enough. Would be proud to be in a pic with your family.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 4:04pm
Been away on vacation. Thanks for the pictures and stories.

Jon, particularly liked the photos of you on the water with your parents. Looks like your parents are about my age. doh.

cboland, that boat is an unbelievable legacy to a father you lost far too soon.

Larry, dad had quite the stylin' threads.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 7:29pm
Brian they probaly are. My Dad is 52 and I am 25.

You have a lucky daughter to get to grow up on the boat. She will have a lifetime of memories on the boat.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2007 at 11:20am
Hey Guy's. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your stories about "dad". All these wonderful stories about your"old Man" prompted me to hit my up for a trip to the lake last Monday.He is 70 and respectfully declined saying " Naw..... but thanks." My 11 year quickly chimed in and said " Ohh , please Grandpa I want you to go and come see me kneeboard." Well that is all it took. he even pulled the boat down to lake with his truck. He didn't bring his swimmies but the look on his face was said it all when he saw his granddaughters kneeboarding. He was so glad he chose to go.... We all had a wonderful day!!!! Probably wouldn't have done it without a "shove" from you guy's. THANKS!!

Foot
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2007 at 9:41pm
Hey that's great Morfoot. I'l bet your Dad is glad you "forced" him to come along. Maybe next time you won't have to twist his arm. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2008 at 5:22pm
I try and revive this thread on Father's Day.

For those who may be new, if you have a photo or story to add about boating with your Dad, that would great.

For those of you who still have Father's be good to him - he won't be here forever.

For those of you who are Father's enjoy your day - they'll be grown and gone before you know it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2008 at 8:08pm
BKH: Thanks for bringing this back up....read it thru again.

Happy Fathers Day to you and all the Fathers on here!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2008 at 9:44pm
I just golfed 18 holes with my old man today at a very high end golf course (83.00 to walk). The place was booked solid but rain was predicted all day, so we went there just to see if we could sneak in as a deuce with a cancellation- sure enough, we got in. It was raining cats and dogs, but as soon as we got to the first tee, the rain stopped and we had perfect weather for the whole round! If that's not fate, I don't know what is. Followed up the round with a few drinks and apps at my favorite bar. What an OUTSTANDING first Father's day for me, and 29th Father's day for my old man.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

JCole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 12:34am
I am glad this got revived again. Had a great day on the water at my nephew's house with my inlaws and my husband and kids. A great fathers day enjoyed by all. The kids skiied and tubed and we adults watched. My father-in-law had a great day watching. Again I miss my dad who gave me my love of boating and being on the water. Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. Keep making wonderful memories with your kids.
Jane
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:08am
I lost my Pops a few years back, but my wife and kids made this weekend very special.

For the last 6-8 weeks or so, I've been sequestered in the garage working on the Classic, evenings and weekends. The fact that my wife was really cool and handled EVERYTHING else was present #1.

I get the boat re-assembled on packed up on Thursday night. We had plans to go to Green Lake this weekend, only to find out the lake is closed due to high water and floating debris. Southern Wisconsin has had a lot of heavy, record rain and flooding lately.

Woke up on Saturday, it was beautiful - 80 and sunny. I had to find a lake open SOMEWHERE. Geneva Lake was open so we packed up and headed out. I just had to run her after all the hours I'd spent wrenching.

When we got there, there was 20-25 mph winds and busy launches. Whitecaps everywhere. We head out, keep the bow high, about 20 mph and proceed to check out the lake. Beautiful place and gorgeous old lake homes.

However, this was all lost on my daughters. With the wind and big chop, the poor little critters were SOAKED! But they knew how badly I wanted to be in the boat, they really did their best and hung in there.

After driving around, trying to find a place for lunch, we decided we all had enough. We pull out and find a great little bar and grill for a late lunch. I thank them all for being patient and apologize for the not-so-great time. I buy the kids all sundaes to make up for it.

It wasn't the brightest decision to go out yesterday, but everyone hung in there for me.

To cap it off, the kids asked if we can take the boat out today - and they really meant it!

It sure is great to be a dad, especially when you have a wonderful (and understanding) wife and kids.

PS - We ran into a guy with a San Juan. I'll post the pics in another thread.
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:56am

This is my dads 83. He got the boat when I was around 8(25 years ago). The boat was one of the show boats at Calloway Gardens(supposedly per dealer he bought it from). We kept it 10 years and sold it to our cousin who took it to Charlotte, N.C. She kept it for 5 years and sold it. We tracked the boat down back in Tennessee and he bought it last year.

WE all own Correct Crafts with dad now. These boats have continued to bring our families together and have created more memories than I can count.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 5:21am
Only good boating memories with my Dad is when I was a kid back in the 70's. I remember a fishing trip to Ontario to some "secret" lake only accessable from some old logging road we had to drive down for about an hour to get two. I was probably 10 or so but we were in Dad's old aluminum Grumman canoe with pontoons on the side to prevent from capsizing,( only boat I had when I was a kid) that was powered by a small 2 hp evenrude motor. You know the kind where you started it by having to wrap a rope with a wooden handle round the clutch, pull it to get it started. It never would on the first try so we had to wait for Dad to wind that rope to try it again.
My brother and I were in the canoe with my Dad and my Grandfather was in another canoe with an ol' high school buddy who lived up there. We were in the middle of the lake fishing for Walleye and Northern when "the storm of the century" came down on us. We headed for the closest shore that Dad could see while my brother and I crouched down in that little canoe. WE started scrambling for our poncho's and after downing them we started bailing out water with our camping cups as the boat was starting to fill up with rain water. The lake was white capping and Dad had that little motor tached out trying reach shore. We finally reached a small island after what seemed like forever. We quickly unloaded our gear, and turned the canoe over. My Dad tied it up to a tree and the three of us huddled under that canoe for about an hour until the storm passed. What a boating experience that was.. One that I never forget... Thanks Dad!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 2:45pm
BKH,

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. Had a great weekend with my dad. WE both worked midnights together on Friday night so we had the rest of the week end off. I wanted to goto the lake to ski but everyone was doing something. So being mad about waisting a perfectly good day, the phone rings and out of the blue it's dad on the other end offering to go and drive for me. As if that were not enough, once we got to the lake and I skied a few times, we stopped to swim. Then my dad says, he what do you have as far as skies go in the boat. Both combo set of skies the boots were to small. Starting to get mad again, I said hey I have the tricks. He said throw them here, and my 51 year old proceeded to show me how it was done. He has not skied in the last 8 years. It really was a great afternoon. Then of course the whole family got together on Father's day to have dinner with him.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 3:01pm
Very nice stories guys. Sounds like some great Father's days with your Dads and with your kids. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 6:22am
I ahve now had my dad out skiing 3 times this year. he still doesn't ski everytime he comes out to the lake. But it's a start. Couple of pics of him messing around on the tricks. He's getting back into slow, wife was pretty slow gettig out the camera as well. All she really caught was him goofing off at the end of his ride. Tricks or not I am just happy to see him out behind the boat again.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 1:38pm
James,

Get your Dad on those skis as often as possible. It will keep him young. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 2:18pm
BKH it's true he has been willing to do more each time does ski. Just rusty and a bit out of skiing shape. He does have a shoulder issue, that flairs up from time to time. But he has some much fun while he's skiing. He saw me foot for the first time yesterday in person. he was driving, I am not sure who had more fun.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2009 at 2:54pm
New Year's day 1971. I was seven years old. My father had broken his back in the fall of 69. He had enough pain just walking, much less water skiing in 48 degree water on a cold rainy day. Nonetheless, a promise had been made, and my dad meant to keep it. The Eskimo Runs were a ski run on New Year's Day, in the San Francisco Bay, sponsored by the Golden Gate Ski Club. No wet suits allowed. My Dad participated many years and had promised that as soon as I was old enough, he would take me. I missed my seated dock start that day, plunged into the cold water and had to sit there while the boat circled back for a deep water start. My Dad sat on the dock laughing. As I was on the water, he skied past me. He had made a standing dock start and was dry as a bone. He skied back to the dock, landed at the dock without getting wet above his knees, and was there to pull me from the water when I got back.

We participated again in 1972. I still have the certificates and the jacket patches.

If you still have a father, spend some time with him today. If you are a father enjoy some time with your kids.

Have a great day.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2009 at 4:40pm
Hi everyone, I lost my dad five years ago, He never saw my correct craft, although I did trailer it through the cemetary shortly aftr it was completed. There is not much I would not give to be able to take him for one more ride today. Thanks for the stories. Dave.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic