NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boating memories with Dad

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2009 at 12:45am
Trailered the boat through the cemetary. I'm sure that got some looks Dave.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2009 at 1:40am
This post has bought back many memories for me as my parents both loved boating. They always had a boat from the late 1940's until around 1980. As I remember they had a Chris Craft skiff with a small deckhouse that we went on vacation on for two weeks every summer usually up the Hudson River or somewhere out towards the end of Long Island.

We then upgraded to a Elco Cruisette that was about 36'. I remember this boat more than the first as I was 6 or 7 years old by then. We continued the two week boating vacations every year.

Several years later they sold the Elco and were boatless, but constantly talked of getting a live aboard boat.

When I was about 15 years old my parents bought their 50 foot Correct Craft. This boat needed some work due to dry rot and deck leaks. He also removed the two gas engines and replaced them with diesels. They lived on the Correct Craft for 14 years before my father started having health issues. They then got rid of the boat and moved to Florida.

I spent most of my summers as a kid playing in boat yards in NY while my parents worked on the boats getting ready for the yearly vacation.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Fathers Day and remember the good times in your life.
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2009 at 9:08am
Thanks for lifting this thread. I have stumbled upon it some time back and have enjoyed all the memories that have surfaced. I was telling my wife about this thread yesterday and we thought, considering we are still restoring our '82, we would make an engraved plaque to put on the dash:

"Lovingly restored in 2009 by Donovan Dalgleish for his son, Liam Dalgleish"

My own Dad is still alive and well, although in his later years, a pillar of wisdom in our family. We are truly blessed to have him.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2009 at 10:50am
Roym, I got a friend that has an Elco Cruisette. Really cool boat.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2009 at 3:15pm
Brian
nice old post here , and nice to bring it up around these dates!!! I have both of my parents, and I guess sometimes you get pissed on them, but If they are not around I would sure miss them. As for my boating history, my father got me into the river when I was 5-6 years old..Actually It was my grandfather who had a day cruiser and an outboard boat, and went out with all the family. Then when I was 10-12 he bought his first boat also an outboard with 175hp jonsohn. With it i learned to ski, pairs, then mono, and on 90´s I got my firts wakeboard, an conelly razorblade. by 1994 i got my license, I he let me go alone with the boat. Installed then a homemade skylon. Etc...then On 1997 I wanted to upgrade the ride to a midengine boat. so I sold the boat and got pedestrian, until I got my 1992 on 2000. Since then I´d invited him to my boat on counted times...
Sad... Now I know who is going to be at the maiden trip after engine/stringer job!!!!

Forgot to menction he also owned a sailboat with a gasoline internal engine (got it beat up as a gift from my grandpa) so for long years he spend it restoring it to its original glory...but unfortunaly once it was almost finished, he was one day out with friends and anchored, spend the day and when starting the engine to go back to the marine, starter got hooked then heated up short circuit and fire cought the boat..they all had to jump to the water. My father had some minor burn trying extiguish the fire. They got rescued by other boats and the costguard, who got to extiguish the fire.. Boat was totalled by the insurance. Since then he never own a boat.

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2009 at 8:43pm
That's sad to hear that a boat with that much love put into went that way. Glad to hear that they all made it back from it though.

Had the pleasure of getting both my parents out skiing with me two weeks ago. I was happy to see them both ski. Dad mentioned to me he's thinking footing is in his future for this summer.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2009 at 8:50pm
We all loved that sailboat I remember going to the marina after school to clean it, sand wood, etc...it was a 37 footer
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2009 at 11:14pm
Good stories guys. Seems more often that not, the seeds were planted when we were young, and more times than not it was a grandfather, Dad, or Uncle that planted them. BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 2:28am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 3:49am
Neat video Larry. We don't have a lot of family movies, and unfortunately, I don't do much better with my own child. Pictures are good, but the movies really capture it. BKH
Livin' the Dream

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 4:15am
Very nice video.

I with you BKH I need to take more video than pics.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 12:16pm
Larry,

Great to hear from you, hoping all is well!

Cool Video! one of these day's I will figure out how to convert some of the stuff I have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 10:54pm
This thread has become sort of an annual memorial in my mind, for my Dad. I try to bring it up each father's day.

If you have any stories of boating with your Dad, please add your story.

If you still have a Dad, I hope you spend some time with him tomorrow. Maybe get him out in the boat. Never too old to enjoy a boat ride.
If you are a Dad, have a great day.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 12:13am
I was involved in a multi generational moment today as my eight year old helped dig a path to get my dads pontoon boat out of the garage and onto the trailer. Once put in storage,stuff gets stored under, on top of, or straddle the sides. Once we had the trailer under I called dad over to the garage to help guide the boat through the narrow door opening. Having the kid on one side watching as my father watched the other side and I drove it was one of those family team days that just happens without giving it any thought. It did allow me to remember when I did things with my grandad and father and just how cool that was.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 2:10am
Growing up we had a 1963 14 foot larson with a 40 horse johnson, red and white, dad worked a lot of overtime and it did not get out much, but I loved every minute on the water. The 87 skinautique will go to the cemetery again this year on the way to the lake tomorrow. Dad passed before I got this one. For all who still have their fathers take the time to give them a good day and listen to their stories. I would give anything for another boat ride with dad.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 2:19am
Thanks Brian.

Our Dad was never able to afford a boat. But later in life he was proud that my brother and I could. He loved to ride in the C/C's and always was very sorry that his skiing days were past.

My son, who has been on here a bit is far away in Tennessee but I will hear from him tomorrow and see him in a couple of weeks.

So all you Dads..enjoy the day...do something with your Dads and sons if possible.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 12:42pm
Calling all dads, get to the lake today, take the family, and most of all! HAPPY FATHERS DAY Jeff
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 4:07pm
Got a great picture of my Dad at the helm of an Aristacraft I/O on Lake Lanier back in 1976. This picture is in my office. Look at it every day and give thanks. Especially today!
He would have loved to drive my Correct Craft.
Sure do miss him.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 4:57pm
After reading this thread from when it started, everybody brings back some great memories. Today is a special day, spending time with dad is great. I am thankful for my memories with my father and still building them today.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

dukez71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukez71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 7:04pm
Brian, as I am new to this site this is the first time I have seen this post. It is very cool and touching to read through everyone’s stories. I find today difficult having lost my father a little more than a year ago to cancer. My Dad was not much of a skier, but enjoyed boats and had a great river boat that he unfortunately didn’t get to enjoy nearly enough. Thanks for keeping this post going, I look forward to seeing and reading it in the future!

1997 Sport Nautique... In progress.
JCole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 1:48am
Just got a chance to get on the computer. Loved all the posts I have read this father's day. This is always a bitter/sweet time for me. Sad due to the fact my dad is not here any longer to enjoy the Mustang, but glad he started us with this boat. Still having great times, and making great memories. My brother and my son and daughter were out with it yesterday. They were stopped by a Ski Nautique 210. My son said it was a beautiful boat. He couldn't believe it when the people in this boat stopped my brother and my son to let them know they liked our boat. Thanks to all the dads who have made memories on the water. I know we are very blessed!!! Happy Father's Day to all.
Jane
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 10:22am
This is one of my favorite threads on the site. Brian brought it back up several years in a row. I have missed it for the last two, so I am bringing it back myself. Thanks for starting it Brian. Every one please keep adding your stories. My dad has been gone for about a decade now and I have three kids of my own, but I am still not comfortable with this being "my" day. Fathers day to me was always about being with my dad. Of course that is not a current option, so there is a sad empty spot to this day and I don't know if that will ever go away. Today will be about making "dad" memories for my kids. The sun is out, the weather is warm and the wind is calm. Happy fathers day to all.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 11:20am
Having just lost Dad 3 weeks ago,this fathers day is going to be
tough. Luckely in April one of his friends took this picture when
we were putting his boat away before we came home from Florida.
Happy Fathers Day to all.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 5:51pm

Gary,

Good to talk with you yesterday... again sorry about you father... It's tough not to have your dad around... hard to believe mine dad has been gone for over 5 years already. Miss him every day..

Make sure... if your father is still around to call / spend some time with him!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 9:37pm
Thanks for bringing this thread to the top Dave.

I guess the last couple of father's days, I started doing things my daughter likes to do, of which, right now, boating isn't always at the top. Yesterday and today we were the beach.

Gary, I'm sorry for your loss. But, I have to say, as a boating nut, and someone whose parents suffered long illnesses, I'm pretty happy for you that just a couple of short months before his passing, your Dad was standing, smiling, and taking pictures with you beside his boat. I think there are many of us who would be happy to have that type of image as a lasting memory of our fathers, or to leave such an image for our children.

Newcomers, if you have a favorite memory of boating with your Dad, please post it up. Long timers who are still out making memories with your Dads, post 'em up.

Happy Father's Day.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 10:21pm
I'm a multi generation lake rat and the first one to buy an actual inboard. My dads dad was killed in a car accident just 3 days before I was born and I was the first grandson and everybody else in the family has girls. Some of the best memories are driving the old Orange Caravel tri hull with 70 Evinrude sitting in dads lap at my grandmas lake house. We kept the Caravel until I was 8 and sold it and got a pontoon which is what I learned to ski and wakeboard behind. My first inboard pull ever is a really great story. I was in middle school and it was November and I was home sick with a stomach bug just browsing the internet and stumbled across the Wakeworld forum, a guy was actually going to the lake the next Saturday and invited me to come and check it out. My dad got home from work and I told him I was going wakeboarding in a few days and the look on his face was priceless, sure you can go but I'm not taking you my boat is winterized, then I begin to tell him that I found a guy online that invited me to come ride on his Supra. His face was really great to look at after that. We ended up going and the love for inboards took off! We could never get one but he would always take me out when I found rides and the first time I went with somebody new he would come join and then after that would drop me off at the ramp with some cash in hand almost everyday to go ride. Last year I was browsing Craigslist at 1130 on a Monday night and stumbled across a 89' 2001 that I knew just had to be mine. My dad goes to bed usually at 8-9 and doesn't like being woke up. I called him to say I finally found an inboard that I want to buy but would need to borrow some cash from him to make it possible, he couldn't say yes fast enough. The next day we went to look and gave the seller a deposit and would pick up the boat on Saturday. My 2001 has been a great project for us and everything is done for now and I have the ability to take him out and ski now! My dad just left my place from our second annual Fathers day ski session and its such a nice feeling to return to him as he doesn't get to get out as much as we used to but everything we do now it is super special.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 10:25pm
well...read this thread all the way thru again. Thanx to all you guys who have posted stories..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 10:58pm
That's what this thread is all about Jake! Great you spent time on the water today with your dad.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 11:17pm
Every year for the past six years, our inaugural boating outing is Fathers Day. So, hopefully I am helping my kids generate great memories of time with me, and the family. This year was no different. We took the boat up to Delavan Lake, Delavan, WI.

Couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. Last year, we got adventurous and tried skiing two up. This year, we took it up a notch and got three of us up (my two sons, Bill and Tom, and I). That Acme 542 was the best investment I ever made in that boat. Pulls three of us up with no issues. We also reinforced what we already knew, and that is....WE NEED A BIGGER BOAT!! The ole '76 Southwind performed flawlessly, but, we are just about spilling out of the boat with all the gear.

Saw a nice '87 Martinique Bow Rider in action today that looked like a nice option. Also saw a beautiful red/white '90 Sport Nautique working it's magic.

Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 11:20pm
Happy Fathers day to all the great dads out there. I looked and looked for this great picture of my Dad and me when I was young on the lake and I could not find it. All the other great pics of me and him on the lake are about a hour away with my Mom so maybe I'll post some next year. I lost my dad a few years ago and the memories I have of him are ones that can't be forgotten. He was very gentle person that everyone was very fond of. A lot of fun to be around and always made sure you had a great summer on the lake. We would leave every Friday afternoon to go to Lake and we would spend the hole time boating, swimming and just having fun. I miss those days and hope to create a little time like that with my son Thomas here in this picture. Cheers, Tony.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic