Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boating memories with Dad

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 12:50am
I am very close with my father but its my grandfather I have to thank for my love of the water and boats. I mentioned him in another thread but what I have most to pass on is the connection between my displays of responsibility and the reward of responsibility in using the boat. From the early steps of sitting in his lap and steering as we pulled into the slip on our dock, to using the fishing boat with my brother, to his pride when I bought my first boat, an 83 2001. As a teenager I had to get either my power squadron or coast guard license to use his ski boat. When you earned a privledge the last thing in the world you wanted to do was lose it. Grand dad passed 5 years ago but I thank him everyday for passing his love of boating and concept of responsibility on to me. Thanks grand pop!
Darren
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 1:31am
What a great thread with so many great stories. My love for the water started when I was 5-6 years old. Dad was a fisherman and had never skied in his life. That didn't stop him from buying a pair of wooden kids skis and a tube though and spending hours pulling my sister and I around the lake behind his 16' Lund with a 40HP Johnson tiller. I can remember many days when the engine would spit/sputter and stall. Dad would kick the side of the 6 gallon steel gas can and there wouldn't be a drop left in it. It was no big deal as he'd swap the fuel line over to a full tank and the way we went! As I grew older, and was introduced to knee boarding and barefooting, Dad knew that he was going to have to upgrade the boat. In 1997 he ended up purchasing a new Alumacraft with a 115 HP Johnson, installed a pylon, and a barefoot boom. After fighting hole shot issues with the engine for two years (very frustrating when learning barefoot long line deep water starts), he came home one day with a 1984 M/C S&S. There wasn't anything that could've wiped the smile off my face that day (Ok, maybe a Nautique :) ). To this day I still cannot thank him enough for the sacrifice that he made just so I could pursue my passion for barefooting, knee boarding, and eventually hydrofoiling. A few weeks after purchasing the M/C, he did purchase another Lund fishing boat for himself. He is still my boat driver today and doesn't regret his decisions one bit. It's all about time on the water with family and friends. The biggest way that I can say "Thank You" to him is by spending some time fishing with him once in a while. Happy Dad's Day to all of you fathers out there!       
1992 Nautique Excel
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 10:11am
I told my story in the second post of this thread so I won't repeat it, other than to say I owe my affection (affliction??) with the lake to my dad.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 11:34am
I got to spend yesterday on the water with my dad and grandpa. My dad's dad passed away a year before I was born and he was the guy who built our lake house. Would have loved to have met him. He was a fisherman and that was reborn in my brother and my dad is the guy who taught me to ski and gave me the love for Ski Nautiques.

My living grandpa was the one who taught me to drive and told me to go buy my boat when my dad wouldn't let me use his alone. So to all of the dads in my family I owe things that have made me who I am today which goes way deeper than boating.

Best boating memory with dad was speed runs in the red and white 74 ski. It had no mufflers and I have perfect memory of the old style yellowed air guides. I was about 6 years old when he sold the 74 and bought the 87.

Got to spend yesterday running around in my boat and dad's new to him 98 snob. Filled both with the family and jammed tunes until dark. I had to head into work today but everyone else stayed for a Monday!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Having just lost Dad 3 weeks ago,this fathers day is going to be
tough. Luckely in April one of his friends took this picture when
we were putting his boat away before we came home from Florida.
Happy Fathers Day to all.

Gary,sorry to read that your father has passed. I'm sure the day was tough for you and yours. My thoughts and prayers go out to you all..

My dad passed 30 years ago. I still miss him to this day..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 6:13pm
Oletela: I like your "multi-generation lake rat" comment. I can relate, my grandson makes us nine generations on Keuka Lake, NY. Here's one of my favorite photos, my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather in the late 50's.
Wish we still had that boat...although I do have my fathers Century he bought new in 75, which I will be passing on to my son. Great father to son tradition this boating thing is, eh?

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 8:01pm
Absolutely! Some of the best things that can be passed down! Even better is the fact that I have been able to pass some of our lake values onto my gf and her family as they haven't been on the water a whole lot.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 12:08am
Well, I started this thread while thinking of my Dad's birthday. Today he would have been 78. He's been gone over 10 years now, but there are still days where I have that instinctive urge to pick up the phone and give him a call, if only for a moment, before I once again feel the reality that there will be no more calls.

We didn't spend much time on the boat today. Much of the day was spent buying a new bicycle for my daughter. But, I couldn't let this day go by without some time on the water. Dropped her in, and went for a cruise to a local restaurant and marina. Watched the weekenders and yahoos pulling their boats while we ate. Arrived home at our dock just as a large moon was rising. I think we'll go sit on the dock now and eat an ice cream while the sun sets. A simple day that I think my dad would have enjoyed.

If you are new to the forum and have a story of boating with your dad, please, post it up.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 12:29am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

He's been gone over 10 years now, but there are still days where I have that instinctive urge to pick up the phone and give him a call, if only for a moment, before I once again feel the reality that there will be no more calls.
BKH

I hear you Brian,I catch myself every now and then thinking I'll have to remember to tell Dad about that. I was going thru his desk the other day looking for some papers and found a list he had made of all the boats he had.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 12:33am
Brian, I am fortunate to still have my dad close by.   I hope to make some boating memories with him soon....   I sold my classic car today, Dad, while he didn't really like to wrench on stuff taught me most of what I know   I had to call him first... It's good to have some one reassure you that you've done the right thing.   I hope your memories of your time with your dad were sweet today, thank you for sharing.

Kris
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 12:51am
Thanx Brian...just re-read the whole 5 pages...crying the whole way...

Dads..families..friends..boats..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 10:26pm
When I was a kid, probably around 9 or 10, my pops came home with this powder blue powerboat. No idea what it was, I just remember it was an outboard and it was old.

One Saturday in the summer he piled the whole family in that thing (6 of us total) and headed off into the Long Island Sound. Apparently he didn't know what the markers meant and we grounded the boat pretty hard and on top of that, the tide was going out. Fast.

We wound up high and dry not too long after. Not wanting to ruin a beautiful day, we went clamming for the next several hours. I remember the four of us kids running around digging for clams and then running them back to the boat. We must have found hundreds we had so many.

Once the tide came back we managed to make our back to the ramp. It was a great day that I'll never forget. Taught me that the cup is always half full, not empty.

My pops comes down in October and he is pretty psyched to head out on our "new to us" 92 SN.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 11:49pm
Now there's a great first boating story JP.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 2:19am
My father is 55 (I am 26) and he definitely gave me my love of water. He had me skiing on 2 skis at 5, then slalomed at 7, then wakeboarded at 8.

We didn't have a boat until I was around 7. Dad did whatever he had to in order to make sure we got a ride. He borrowed boats, made friends at the lake, etc in order to get us riding.

I will always remember mom and dad getting us up at 7:30 am so we would eat our peanut butter and jelly on toast and be on the water by 8:30. Back then we typically had the whole lake to ourselves (maybe some fishermen were out too)

The first boat dad bought was an Edson with a 90 mariner outboard. The second was a 17 foot larson with a 4.3 mercruiser stern drive.

His brothers had Mastercrafts and just last year he bought a 1998 Maristar 210 in beautiful shape as his first tow boat. I always tell him that his Mastercraft is bush league compared to a Nautique and we have a few laughs. He is such a huge Ford fan and ended up with the Indmar LTR 330 hp Chevy block in his boat. I told him over and over he could have a Ford motor in a Nautique :)

Nowadays I think my love for boats may be spurring him on. I'm on my second Sport Nautique now and I'm always watching craigslist for Nautiques for sale across the USA. Dad started watching the Mastercraft listings now. He called me about a boat in Alabama he thought was gorgeous. He also hadn't skied in years but just went three times last week.

I hope he spends a bunch more time out on the water. I know he doesn't put a lot of hours on his boat.... but he does get it out on the water and drive to his favorite beach to chat with some local friends. And... I hope that my kids get the same opportunity with him that I did.

Maristar 210 - left (dad), Sammy Duvall Prostar - center (uncle), x7 - right (uncle)
1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 3:07am

our boats side by side. my 2 year old is playing in the Sport
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 2:27pm
My dad grew up on Long Island NY, some where along the line he fell in love with honey bees, his mother saved every penny from honey sold so he could go to college. He decided on Michigan State to study bees and ended up with a Doctorate in education .

Took a teaching job in a small town in MI and built a small house by a small lake. He always told us it was just temporary well I just turned 50 July 19 and they are still there!

I learned to ski with the neighbors boat a 50 merc rinker and the begging began. Our first boat was a used starcraft trihull with a 85 evenrude. That motor is now on my pontoon !

My dad loved to fish for salmon in Lake Michigan and all i wanted to do was ski. My dad rigged a 2x6 across the boat to hold his down riggers and I attached my ski pole to it life was good.

My dad and brother have the same birthday Aug 19, dad turned 85. He went in the hospital last Friday, this time we don't think he's coming home.

Thanks for all the awesome times on the lake dads we love you all.

Kirk     
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 2:38pm
Feel bad for you Kirk,I know all too well what your going thru right now. Keep your head up and think of all the good times.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 3:16pm
I know how it is Dwight. My Dad was the greatest, but sometimes he embarrased me too. You're ok. A Mastercraft is not that bad

Kirk, keep the faith man. The Doctors must have told us 5 times this was
the last trip for my grandfather. He lived for years.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 4:23pm
I guess when it comes to boating memories with dad I'm pretty lucky, since I'm still making them. My dad just got into town today, and tomorrow we're loading the boat up and dragging it to Benjamin's place. In the past 3 years we've been to White Lake 3 times (2011-13), Salt Fork 2011, Percy Priest 2012, Lake Norman 2012, SJRR 2013, GL 2013, CT mini tomorrow, and if anything materializes on Lake Norman this fall I'm sure we'll be there too. And that's not even accounting for having the '75 in the driveway since the day I was born.

A lot of you have met him, or skied with him, or had a beer with him, or gotten caught in the tractor beam that is one of his epic stories.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

A lot of you have met him, or skied with him, or had a beer with him, or gotten caught in the tractor beam that is one of his epic stories.

Tractor beam...exactly. Well said. Jackie can spin a great yarn for sure and his boy is learning from the best. And I'd give my left gentleman's walnut to have that voice! It was great to spend some time with you guys at GL this year.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 4:45pm
Ha, thanks Steve, the feeling is mutual. Especially when you plucked me out of the middle of the lake after Alan ditched me, haha.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 4:52pm

I guess when it comes to boating memories with dad I'm pretty lucky, since I'm still making them.

Indeed. It's good that you know you are lucky as it is happening. Don't ever discount the time.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 8:27pm
This is a nice thread.

My father's thing was camping. But he did share a cabin with his brother, and we used to go there all the time and ski behind my uncle's runabout. My dad passed 14 years ago, rest his soul.

When my daughter was about 3 years old, I approached my neightbor about "renting" his big old pontoon boat for a weekend. We just wanted to try boating. I ended up buying it from him. It has a Mercruiser 140 sterndrive and my daughter and son grew up on that boat, and learned to ski, tube, slalom and wakeboard behind it.

They've outgrown the pontoon for water sports, so this year I bought the 1984 SN2001. It has been a summer of working on boats and trailers, and not enough boating really, but we'll get there. I'm putting in this effort to create these memories for my kids. Maybe one day they'll post to this thread, or one just like it.

Steve
"boarders' dad"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Maybe one day they'll post to this thread, or one just like it.

Steve
"boarders' dad"

so true
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 11:13pm

I guess when it comes to boating memories with dad I'm pretty lucky, since I'm still making them.... Lake Norman 2012,

tchapin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tchapin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2013 at 10:23am
My dad wasn't much of a boater so the memories with him are more canoeing and river fishing. But, I am making memories with my kids..

That was then.. (10 years ago).
[/IMG]

This is now.. (this passed summer).[/IMG]
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2013 at 1:44pm
That's a neat picture Tim. Your dog is getting up in age. He must be 12 there.
83Ski
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2013 at 1:55pm
Wow. If that boat could talk.
tchapin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tchapin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2013 at 5:50pm
i'm sure there would be lots of stories for that old girl...

this picture goes back about 22 years ago. the girl in the middle is now a niece-in-law and expecting her 5th kid.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2013 at 6:36pm
Wow, awesome thread! Some great pictures, and warm stories, thanks for sharing.
My Dad passed away when I was 8. USMC 20 year "lifer" as it turned out. I remember being fascinated with boats, and floating a cardboard box in some body of water in Cherry Pt, NC, Marine Corp base. (Floated long enough to get me in trouble!!)
After his death we moved back to LI, NY, where Mom and Dad were from. My Uncle, who had a boat, a 17 foot fibreglass with a 60 hp Evinrude, had me out skiing the great south bay at 9! "Uncle Arthur", also had 4 daughters and a wife that HATED that boat which assurred me of plenty of "Ski time"!
I will never forget the first time he "trusted" me to back it off the trailer, hover and pick him up at the dock!! I was 11.
He also insisted while riding in the boat, I had to wear the Mae West vest, Not cool. I followed orders, always, but put in a request to stow that vest. He agreed on the condition that I swim some ridiculus length of water to prove my abilities. I doubled it to his amazement, and my request was granted!
Now, I have three teenage daughters that LOVE the Nautique, and are always ready to go out, and bring friends! As I read this thread, it reminds me that, I too, as a dad, am creating excellent memories for them as well! What a great feeling to consider their future memories!! Thanks!
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic