Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loud Pipes Save Lives?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loud Pipes Save Lives?
    Posted: July-26-2011 at 8:03pm
Haven't checked in here for a while, but didn't someone on here have "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" after all their posts? I was trying to see if I might have seen them as I was about 5 hours away from my home traveling in Eastern MD and I saw a reddish colored pickup with that on the tail gate. Could be anyone I guess; it's a funny saying and someone else might have put it on a vehicle. Just thought I'd check. Can't remember who here had that on their posts.
Inboards Rule!
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 8:06pm
Correction, actually I was probably still in Delaware when I saw it. I think the truck's tag was Delaware.
Inboards Rule!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 8:18pm
It's someones signature tag line to their posts.. It a saying that goes with us Harley riding crowd who like our loud pipes and appreciate the fact that it scared the crap out of some people on the road, hence the "saving lives" part...

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 8:41pm
J Bear...
bj
hasbeenskier
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 9:14pm
Ah - that's "who" thought (J-Bear"). As I said, I haven't been on here a lot recently, but that's who was coming to mind as I was thinking about it. I just remember I cracked up when I first saw it. So probably, if it's a bike thing, it's widespread. Thought maybe I saw someone from the site here on the road. Thanks for solving the mystery for me!
Inboards Rule!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 1:14am
I have always wondered, if loud pipes do save lives, and if your particular means of transport is the loudest, then would you not be putting others at risk because you cannot hear them over your own noise?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 1:22am
I can't tell you how many times I have almost been hit by 89+ Correct Crafts...because I mistakenly thought they were a vacuum cleaner zooming by. And I thought that was odd because it would be weird for someone to take a vacuum cleaner out on the water. But, who am I to judge....

I can tell you I have never been hit by the proper dual exhaust CCs as I have trained myself to seek out that heavenly sound and stare in the direction of it, waiting for a glimpse of the boat I have wanted for so long.

So, to answer the question, YES, loud pipes do indeed save lives.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 11:22am
Being a harley owner I always feel like i am when driving my truck I am always on the lookout for motorcycles .even trying to be aware at all times mistakes happen. last week driving in the third of 4 lanes on the highway at 70+ I was awakened by a harley passing me in the high speed lane. all I could think of was why i didnt catch him in a mirror and what if I had wandered from my lane or passed someone in front of me . it was quite an awakening for me . thank goodness he had loud exhaust
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 11:45am
Funny you saw a reddish pick up in hte mid atlantic with that on the tailgate. Several years ago I was in the same area,(PA, I believe) and saw a red (but this one wasn't reddish, it was RED.It had that expression painted on the side. I tried to get a picture for JBear, but didnt want to be obvious about it as the driver wasnt someone I would have wanted to tangle with.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 11:55am
Ever been in a parking lot and a Prius is backing up or coming around the corner? Can't hear a thing.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 12:49pm
The other day a 70s CC hammered the throttle after passing throu a no wake zone - man I needed a smoke as it went out of sight!!!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 2:28pm
I was out on the lake this weekend with the kids, lots of boats around and I believe the loud does get attention of the boats around. Whenever they fall I gun the throttle whip it around race back to where they are and loop around them. Its fun, loud and best of all it wakes up the boats around so they know I have a skiier down and they best stay back. I get really protective of my tows, was always taught it was my job as captain to protect them and keep the boat between them and traffic. I rarely ever use the horn, its not loud enough to hear over the pipes anyway.

When we autocross I run an old 455 trans am and my buddy runs a 70 vette with side pipes, he had "if its to loud, your to old" put on it for the old guys with thier decible meeters that were complaining.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic