Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wrong Strut????

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Bigoutfit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigoutfit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrong Strut????
    Posted: August-14-2011 at 4:11am
I bought a strut for my 1973 correct craft skier project boat. All of the info I have found says I need a 1970 to 1981 SA-154 prop strut. I found one off of a 1976 Ski Nautique, but it doesn't fit. I would have to shim the back of the strut towards the stern almost an inch to make it work.

The strut has the # 154 in the casting and was removed by a guy with 25 years of CC dealership experience.

Were there any other struts used on a 1973 correct craft boat?
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 7:37am
I don't know if this will be any help to you, mechanically speaking, I know little to nothing, but I do have a 73 Skier and I can take a picture. These are the only "markings" on the strut...

-Adam

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Bigoutfit Bigoutfit wrote:

I would have to shim the back of the strut towards the stern almost an inch to make it work.

RW,
Did you mean to say "shift" the strut aft an inch? "Shimming" the aft end an inch is drastic. Ether way somethings not correct and you do not have the correct strut. Where did you get the info on the needed strut?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bigoutfit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigoutfit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 1:34pm

I meant to say shim the strut. as you can see it does not seam to be correct strut. Could anyone give me measurements of their strut.

I bought the strut from a guy in Jacksonville, FL. He took it of of a 1976 Nautique and put in a box and sent it.

I got the strut numbers here:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/strutsa-154.aspx
http://www.n3boatworks.com/eshopprod_cat_5045-67962-69021_product_874161.Strut_SA-154_SN_1970-81.htm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 3:02pm
RW,

I meant to say shim the strut. as you can see it does not seam to be correct strut. Could anyone give me measurements of their strut.

I bought the strut from a guy in Jacksonville, FL. He took it of of a 1976 Nautique and put in a box and sent it.

I got the strut numbers here:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/strutsa-154.aspx
http://www.n3boatworks.com/eshopprod_cat_5045-67962-69021_product_874161.Strut_SA-154_SN_1970-81.htm

Don't try to use that strut. I do not recommend shimming that much as it will change the shaft angle too much. A few washers fine but not an inch!!

proper link 1

proper link 2

The above struts as listed are for the Nautique and Tique hulls. Your Skier is a different hull but the same as a Mustang in 73.

Wait and see if anyone has the correct part number needed.

BTW, did you ever post needing a strut in the parts wanted section? I don't remember if you had??

How about some more pictures of the project??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 3:51pm
just for the record i DID NOT ship this strut!!!!
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Bigoutfit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigoutfit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 4:09pm
Thanks for all the help. We can't wait to go out in it. My wife is ready to dis-own me at this point. She is not really sure what these boats are capable of!
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 4:44pm
If she's already at the dis-own stage (there's another name for it), you might be in trouble. Just wait until the Acme prop shows up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by daddyo daddyo wrote:

If she's already at the dis-own stage (there's another name for it), you might be in trouble. Just wait until the Acme prop shows up.

Chris,
Verry good point!!! It's the reason I have all of my purchases delivered to me at work!! I'm also lucky that my wife and myself have our own separate checking accounts as well as credit cards!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 8:06pm
The 16.5' Mustang/Skier/Tique did NOT use the same strut as the 2nd gen Ski Nautique, which you clearly illustrate! They used a "6A" strut, as shown in AdamT's picture above. This was actually the same strut used on v-hulls, including the very early BFN's. CC dealers now only sell the "6A6" which is the same strut as the 6A, but with an extra inch added to the aft end of the body (overall 6" long, hence the name). If the extra inch is too long for your shaft, then you should be able to cut it off of the strut.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 8:19pm
Tim,
Great info.

See, you can never go by:

The strut has the # 154 in the casting and was removed by a guy with 25 years of CC dealership experience.

!!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 2:37am
Live and learn, let's be glad that he has found Correct Craft Fan.
-Adam

1973 Skier
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 2:47am
how do you know this stuff Tim?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Bigoutfit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigoutfit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 12:06pm
Thanks for the help. Does anyone have a 6a strut?
Bigoutfit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigoutfit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 2:13pm
For the record I was the one who gave the wrong part # for the strut to the gentleman in FL. I was under the impression that all of the 70's boat used the same strut.

This sight is great. Everyone here is so happy to help.
I just made a donation. Thanks again!
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 3:22pm
There's an 80's model martinique listed in the parts for sale section as being parted out. I "think" that should be a 6a. Double-check with the OP. I'd look, but i'm nowhere near my boat.
Bigoutfit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigoutfit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2011 at 12:21pm
Just talked to White Lake Marine and they said the book calls for a 6dv strut for a 1973 skier. CC part # S-141. now I am confused
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2011 at 12:41pm

Just talked to White Lake Marine and they said the book calls for a 6dv strut for a 1973 skier. CC part # S-141. now I am confused

Ive never heard of a 6DV or S-141 strut before. Neither White Lake nor N3 Boatworks show one on their site.

Both sites show the 6A6 being the correct replacement though.

White Lake 6A6

N3 6A6

Neither site is very good at listing all of the correct applications for the part, but if you know that the 1971-1975 Skier, 1971-1975 Mustang 16 and 1976-1981 Ski Tique all used the same hull (and running gear) then thats a good clue.

I own 3 early (71-73) Skiers and an early (1979) Barefoot Nautique and can tell you for sure that they all came with the 6A originally. The 6A6 is what you need, though you may need to cut some length off the aft end to accommodate your prop shaft.
4woody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2011 at 8:15am
mr.brain i need your help plese i have an 86 cc and my strut has a2 set screws the one close to prop is missing .now what i dont understand is i can see my shaft through the hole for set screw .what does the set screw hold please help ..thxs cant down load pic is there any way i could email them to u my email is jojolwoody@yahoo.com
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 4:43am

Mr. Brain is without internet for the labor day weekend I'm told.
-Adam

1973 Skier
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 2:30pm
the set screw holds the strut bearing or bushing in place...so looks like yours is worn to the bone....or went away!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2012 at 7:45pm
Just chiming in here kinda late. I've been doing alot of strut business lately. The 6dv (s-141) should be the correct strut for that 73. There was also a 6WIDE BASE used on the 69 and older boats. Apparently skylarks used the wide bast strut throughout.

Im working on the site give me a break Tim. ;)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2012 at 8:00pm
That was a year ago... but Im not convinced youre giving good advice now either.

Unless the 6DV or S141 is a new part number that replaces the 6A (or 6A6), then that is not the correct strut for a '73 Skier. I dont see either of those part numbers listed on N3's (or White Lake's) site. What are they?

The 6WB strut went on all 1970 and earlier 16'1" hulls (Mustang/Skylark/Skier/American Skier/Tahoe/etc). The hull changed in '71 (only the Mustang and Skier model names carried over the transition).
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2012 at 12:50am
I mean if a 6A6 will work then rock and roll! I have an original correct craft strut list for the 60s-70s boats. Includes shafts and rudder numbers as well. I talked to Bruce today to confirm at the factory so I could help out a customer that had ordered an incorrect strut. Fyi orlando only has one 6dv in stock. Im going to email this list to Keith tomorrow a as a pdf for the ref section.

I didn't realize it was that long ago Tim haha. Im going to try to make our website very accurate in ways of fitment of specific parts. The system is my first area to tackle in terms of accuracy so I know for myself and anyone else what parts are and what they fit then I will transfer all that information over to the website to make orders much easier for customers(correct craft buddies) haha.

I'll Email you that pdf Tim if you'd like to have it for your own records.
GregD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 1:01pm
Resurrecting this old thread.  Anyone have one of those old 6WB struts from the pre 1970 16'1" hulls? bent mine. Only marking on the strut is a "6" and it is almost same width and length so guessing it is the 6WB.
1965 American Skier
GregD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 1:05pm
My strut is 5 5/8" long by 5 3/4" wide at the base. 
1965 American Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 1:55pm
Here is the official list might help you in your search it lists strut,rudder and shaft size and what other models use the same 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 2:04pm
Greg,
To confirm, looking at my hard copy of the list Gary posted, it does call for a 6" WB1969 and older for a 16' hull.

How bad is the strut bent? Have you considered straightening it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GregD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 2:07pm
It's bent pretty bad.  Haven't measured, but probably 45 degrees or so.
1965 American Skier
GregD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 2:14pm
It looks like the strut took the brunt of the hit on the port side bending it toward starboard before the prop hit and broke one blade off and bent the other two.  Then of course the rudder hit and bent it aft.  Pretty nasty!  Surprised the fiberglass and mounts all look intact.  There is one small gouge where the prop struck the hull, but that shouldn't be too bad to repair and it isn't anywhere near all the way through the hull.
1965 American Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic