NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 running rough

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 running rough
    Posted: September-06-2011 at 3:06pm
Previous Thread

Ok so my engine is still running rough no improvement and I have narrowed it down a little. I think the timing/distributor is checking out, I have either replaced or checked everything I could and it says its in time. The only thing I havent checked is the coil as I am not sure what to look for.

I think the whole issue may have been and still is water in the carb. I ran about 4 gallons of clean gas with seafoam through it and no improvement. I took these pictures last night right after running. It looks like water is still condensated in the secondary throttle plates. What do you guys think I should do? Does that look like water to anyone else?

Also the jet by my thumb in the one picture is putting out a solid stream while at an idle and the jet on the other side is just dripping. Could water cause that issue? or has the water created other problems.

skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 3:23pm
It does look like water to me, but were you running the boat drivin around on the lake or just idling? Your secondaries would have never opened just running in place and not under a load. Probably condensed some water on the plates after the engine warmed up.

Have you looked at your water separator? Is it full of water? Maybe you should try completely draining out whatever gas you have in the tank and put in fresh if there's a lot of water.

Also, your secondary barrels; are those cracks in the barrels? Or just casting marks that have picked up some dirt?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 4:05pm
its just dirt. I have not been to the lake for over a month as the boat hasnt been running right. That was after idling in the garage for 10 minutes.

What do you think about the different amounts of fuel coming out of the sprayers? This carb was rebuilt 50 hours ago and ran fine.

I have been running out of a gas can straight into the fuel pump. I am trying to get it running right before I go through the trouble of draining the fuel tank etc.

What about the coil, if it was going bad would it run rough (miss) and backfire? I thought the ballast resistor was supposed to reduce voltage but I am getting 12 volts on either side of it.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 4:29pm
Also I noticed I think my tach is innacurate for some reason. It wont go any lower than 1K even if i drop the idle way down. Sounds like under 500. Does that point to a coil issue? I may have put it on the wrong post, which side should the gray wire be on?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

...also the jet by my thumb in the one picture is putting out a solid stream while at an idle and the jet on the other side is just dripping. Could water cause that issue? or has the water created other problems.

I think it's possible to see condensation around your carb barrels because the vacuum around that area causes the air to cool and any moisture can get dropped out.

As far as one yet spurting a lot and the other just dripping. I don't think they're really supposed to be doing anything at all when at idle. The idle circuit, which discharges underneath the butterflies is supposed to take care of everything.

Dripping might be possible, but I'd say spurting is definitely wrong. Of course, your accelerator pump should spurt, but only as you are revving the throttle, not when idling.

Sounds like you could be due for a rebuild or replace on your carb. Not sure if water would cause the issue or not though.

Not sure on the coil thing.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 6:34pm
do you think the floats should be rebuilt too? I didnt rebuild those the first time.

I thought of another thing, When it first started running rough it was idleing at about 250 rpm, so I tightened the idle screw to compensate, that could be causing the pump to dump a bunch a fuel in. doesnt explain why they arent the same, but it could explain why its pumping some.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 6:36pm
maybe, Ill run it and take some videos/pics tonight and post for a diagnosis.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 6:49pm
I know the floats can be replaced. They sell a new plastic kind that I've seen on Skidim. It says the old ones can become poruous, fill with fuel and not "float" as well.

Floats and power-valves (and maybe other things) can cause fuel leakage like that.

Not sure how the idle adjustment would affect it.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 6:59pm
not the idle adjustment screws on the bowl but the throttle idle screw.

I have the new plastic floats which are supposed to be bulletproof so I never changed them.
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:02pm
When you have the float bowls off the carb and held in your hand upside-down, are the floats sitting parallel with the bowl top? This is a quick check to see if you have a good starting point for the float level.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:03pm
There's a piece inside the bowl that's replaceable, right? The needle and seat I think.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by skyway2k skyway2k wrote:

When you have the float bowls off the carb and held in your hand upside-down, are the floats sitting parallel with the bowl top? This is a quick check to see if you have a good starting point for the float level.

yes the adjustment is like you say. or at least it was at the beginning of the year.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

There's a piece inside the bowl that's replaceable, right? The needle and seat I think.

You are right, I didnt replace that on the rebuild either.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:16pm
where´s 79nautique? he is the one for this tail chasing threads!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

where´s 79nautique? he is the one for this tail chasing threads!

Yeah, he is missed

He had a lot of good knowledge. He may have insulted the heck out of you while he was explaining something to you, but at least he would explain it.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:20pm
FU##ing FUNNY
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:22pm
are the air/fuel screws working right? if you close them all the way the engine stumbles?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:28pm
LOL.

Kap, I think the test you mention above is a test of the powervalve. If the engine keeps running the same with them closed all the way, it means the powervalve is ruptured.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:30pm
well it stumbles to start with. Ill screw them in all the way and see if there is a change.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:34pm
yes, and the idle circuit as well (think). But if you are dripping most likely your floats are not closing right...you should see no dripping @ idle...only a nice even squirt when you hit the throtle....
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:43pm
I am thinking that by me adjusting the throttle linkage/idle is why its squirting in gas. By screwing it down its the equivalent of throttling up. There is no dripping after I shut it off thats what makes me think the floats are ok.

Who knows Ill test a few more things tonight and see what I come up with.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 8:33pm
Bet anything your idle circuit is clogged.
You shouldn't see anything from the main boosters at idle.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 12:18am
Ok so the tail chasing continues. I think there were and are a few things wrong with the engine. Tonight I tested the plug/plug wires with one of those inline spark testers and the spark on pistons 2,3,6 and 7 was very weak. The light was barely on and it was very bright on 1,4,5 and 8. Also I noticed that those are the first four and last four in the firing order (any correlation? what could cause that?). The cap is new but maybe it was weak or defective so it didnt last very long. I have had my hand on it quite a bit and never got shocked though.

So I thought the plugs might be fouled and I replaced them and the rough running improved. Now it was idleing much faster (600 before plugs and 1100 after new plugs), so I lowered the throttle/idle adjustment and then had to reset the timing. I checked the advance and it was reading 30 degrees at 2000 rpm which seems to be inline with what I understand it should be. So I am thinking the weak spark fouled the plugs. What could be causing weak spark on the 4 cylinders and good on the others? Could this be a bad coil or could that little light just be innacurate?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 1:36am
The coil fires all cyls - so logic rules it out as the problem. The cap could be bad somehow, not seated or off center - sounds like the rotor is not centered in cap well to me. It is strange that 1/2 of the rotor rotation has good spark & the other half is poor!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 11:21am
I agree to that the fact that it is strange but it definitely has weak spark on half on the rotation. I have had that cap on and off several times, you would think it would be fit sometimes. Maybe I should see if I could wiggle it while its running. There is no chance the coil could be weak and just cant keep up with the spark or something. The other thing is the cap is new as of a few months ago so you wouldnt think that would be the issue.

Maybe the dizzy is worn or something, I had it out and had some people look at it and it seemed fine but maybe its not.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 12:14pm
My guess is that the plugs already being fouled caused the the light to show weak for those cylinders.

The light is meant to show spark in the circuit, the plug has to fire to temporarily complete that circuit.

I bet if you retested those cylinders with the light now, after replacing the plugs, it would show stronger.

Your carb situation may have fouled the plugs to begin with.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 12:52pm
I tested as soon as I started the engine and it still read weak. I suppose though that if the mix was bad in those cylinders you would never get good spark because of too much gas. The carb appears to functioning properly or at least acceptably now. Its hard to really tell how it is running now until I drop it in the water. It may be ok for a while but if it keeps fouling plugs thats an issue.

Is there anyway to really isolate and test the spark from the dist?

Right now I am torn between carb issue or dizzy issue and I need to eliminate one. (in the back of my mind there is still a possible valve issue, but since its both sides of the engine I am ruling that out right now.)

Summit Racing has a new points dizzy for 189 or a new electronic for 269, do I need RH or LH rotation I always forget. I know skidim has them but they are more expensive. I would probably throw on a new mallory coil too (so it matches). I need a way to pinpoint the dizzy though before I drop 300 bucks.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 12:26am
Attach a plug wire & plug directly to the coil output (center terminal) & crank it over. You should get a good blue spark.

If your dizzy has any shaft play, or is rusty, time for a new one. I got a great deal from ebay, NIB prestolite electronic for $50. So there are deals out there if you are patient.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 1:40am
This all sounds so familiar. I went through the same thing for an entire season. Plugs, points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, rebuilt carb,drained all old gas, fuel filter, fuel separator, finally decided it had to be carberation and took carb back into carb shop and had it gone through again. Still the same lag, wouldn't idle right, quit at low speeds. Talked to the guys at skidim about all the bad gas we have here in MN and decided to bite the bullet and buy a new carb. Bolted it on and the Nautique has never run better. I think the small orifices in low speed get corroded and if the rebuilder doesn't soak it long enough to get those cleaned out, it doesn't fix the issue. Good luck. It's pretty frustrating.
L Ison
1984 CC Ski Nautique 2001
351 PCM Ford
Forest Lake, MN
Crandon, WI
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 10:09am
If it's a fuel/air problem your plugs should tell you if thats the problem.
Have you checked your wires?

79 where are you!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic