Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perfect pass

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perfect pass
    Posted: August-29-2005 at 3:18am
Does anyone have comments on how well perfect pass works on boats with carbs?
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 11:10am
On my 87 SN.   Awesome. It was the perfect upgrade for my boat, it allows my girlfriend to give me a consistant pull every time.

The only negative thing is.... the instructions have to be followeed to the T or it becomes erratic. It has to be powered up after the boat is started, at idle in neutral. If you turn it on at any other time (say at cruize) it has trouble finding a reference point and becomes inconsistant. Once I had a little training session for my girlfiend and showed her how it worked then everything was fine!
I just have the basic system which was about $650.00. Works goood for slalom, tricking, and wakeboards.
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by skyhawkflyer skyhawkflyer wrote:

On my 87 SN.   Awesome. It was the perfect upgrade for my boat, it allows my girlfriend to give me a consistant pull every time.

The only negative thing is.... the instructions have to be followeed to the T or it becomes erratic. It has to be powered up after the boat is started, at idle in neutral. If you turn it on at any other time (say at cruize) it has trouble finding a reference point and becomes inconsistant. Once I had a little training session for my girlfiend and showed her how it worked then everything was fine!
I just have the basic system which was about $650.00. Works goood for slalom, tricking, and wakeboards.
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 2:34pm
How does that unit you have in your boat control the speed , is there a paddle wheel on the bottom of your boat or is it done by rpm ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 2:51pm
No paddle wheel. The basic system monitors engine rpm through a servo system. And it nails the engine rpm good. Because water is a non-compressable your rpm to speed will always be a constant. I'm not sure if I used the best choice of words here. Once engaged you can increase or decrease the speed by either 50 or 25 rpm increments, I can't remember which but it equals about 1/2 mph. I am very pleased with the system. They do have a website but I don't know what it is. Maybe check a magazine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 3:32pm
found it
www.perfectpass.com
I have perfectpass cruize which is expandable to the pro if I want it someday and regret I didn't buy it. Very easy to mount the controller as is has a ribbon tape on the back that plugs into the wiring. Drill a 1/2 inch hole, feed the ribbon through the dash panel, and the 2" round control face mounts with double sided tape that sticks like glue! Easy!
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2005 at 12:31pm
Go ahead and get the Wakeboard Pro version. Put the paddle wheel in and be done with it. You won't regret it.
Jared Johnston View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2005 at 3:23pm
I recently accuired a 79 Nautique that is undergoing a total restoration from the stringers up. When it's done (next spring) I'd like to look into perfect pass so my girlfriend can tow me with out speed errors as well. My boat has a carburated 351, and is obviously 20 years older than perfect pass. Will that matter?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2005 at 1:07pm
Nope. I have an 86 with carbureted 351. Perfect Pass is like a dream.

Just make sure you buy the wakeboard Pro version that uses the paddle wheel to control speed. It works better than the cheaper RPM based version.
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2005 at 1:18am
Hey new86owner like the work you've done to your boat.
I installed the Wakeboard Pro system in my boat. Perfect Pass has to be the best money I ever spent on my boat. My SN has a really beat up interior and for this year it was between Perfect Pass or the interior. Words can't describe how happy I'am that I bought the Perfect Pass Pro. It works awesome. Anyone can drive my boat and give me the same pull as my favorite driver. Thank's for the info everyone .   
85sn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 7:13pm
Hey guys where did you install your paddlewheel?

I just got the new software and display with my wakeboard pro and can't get the speed based to work. Boat surges like crazy. Been the rounds with WW and WBer.com and the PP engineers. No one knows. I think it might be paddlewheel location.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 12:58pm
I put mine a little to the rear of the drain plug on the driver's side. Here's a picture.

To troubleshoot the surging issue, first, what propeller are you using? How much weight do you have in the boat, what model boat? What speed are you trying to hold? Check the settings on the KDW value. I'd need more info to troubleshoot, but I would guess you need a propeller more suited for your application.
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 8:02pm
I mounted mine in the same spot just on the other side. Is the paddle wheel pointing foward? What I mean by forward is not pointing to the middle of the front of the boat. When I mounted mine it looked great in the boat, but when I looked from the view New86owner is showing mine was pointing to the center of the boat, so my paddle wheel would have been going though the water on about a 30 deg angle. I moved my paddle wheel a few times to get it pointing in the right direction and tight. This could screw things up ,because with PP if you turn into your paddle wheel the boat speeds up ,turn away the boat slows down .    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic