NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

eeew wood

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eeew wood
    Posted: March-06-2012 at 10:52pm
Pete was down at the docks today and they had the "perry" sailboat, equivalnt to the constitution maybe???? 150 foot maybe, 2 masts?? in the dry dock(trying not to get to interested in it) replica, anyways they were replacing some wood up front, they were using 20 ft lengths of hickory, 4x12s possibly?? not a fcn knot in it(i looked and noticed that first) 9600 lbs worth...hate to see the cost of that sht...but, i was wondering how the hell they are going to bend the ***************
they flew the guy in from Canada to do the work....couldnt take pics because of government contracts...im sure i will sneak some though in the future...and didnt ask how they were going to bend it, i found out through life if you ask to many questions you may end up with bad results lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 10:24am
20' lengths of 4x12 of clear Hickory is tough. Wow, I wonder how many trees they had to cut down to get it???!! Still. we live in a fabtastic contry with plenty of natural resourses - drive out in the rural areas and you wil still see pleny of old stands of trees.

Hickory steam bends as good as Oak but it's strength is better.

Bedding? I sure hope they are using 5200 and not the "dumb dumb" CC used on their old wood!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 10:32am
Was reading an artical recently about a similar plank replacement and they were using 20 ton hydraulic jacks to force the planks to the frames then they were lagged to the frames with 12" bolts no sealant. It was a traditional plank job and the seams were to be packed and caulked later.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 10:51am
i was told that the owners of the boat would not let any power sanders on the side of the boat, All by hand,(to be period correct) i do remember that they are packing the seams with some type of bead and then caulk...never have I seen a straight run of wood like that, it is near the bow so bends are needed. i would imagine the repair will be every bit of 50k
btw, (I like wood, it just reminds me alot like bodywork, and i hate doing body work)
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic