NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eric????

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eric????
    Posted: May-02-2012 at 9:04am
What's going on with the lazer guys? Did that 4' hole in the deck work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 8:50am
they are on day 3 2 guys, scratchin their heads, looking for drawings for built in sag, they dont want to pull the trigger cause i keep saying can you tell me 100% why the last 2 sets of bearings failed.
8 guys gather constantly at the ass end of the boat with half educated guesses.
what i think really is going on is the struts were bored off center 5 years ago not taking into account for the sag and they went on center, they went from Nitrile bearings to phenolic (fiber) and to top it off, the 20 ft shaft is forged and they welded her up and ground to size. 2 of these problems have been rectified, new shafts and nitriles, so that leaves the laser guys hanging. I told them to re-sling the boat and hang it....but, kinda new there, and not much solidity to my opinion....yet
the 4' back worked perfectly, and now im re-fitting the palm bolts on the rudder, all 6 on each honed in to a .0005, 1 yesterday and the other today.
really funny is they christened a new tug yesterday and the yard shutdown at 10:00, mayor, congressmen attended, we all recieved 1 new set of uniforms for pictures, big dog and pony show, tents, catered, (good food btw) out of 250 people, they grabbed me and said get back to work and they let the rest loose for the day.
all in all im learning alot and i am scheduled for a Miami trip to Rolls Royce, they say to learn, but, maybe they can teach an old dog a new trick lol, they are arrogant pricks because of the name, RR bought out Austrand, I believe thats the spelling and doubled the pricing. we'll see, i wish I could spend more time here, but, gotta make hay when the sunshines
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 12:49am
"scheduled for a Miami trip"

fly in there and outa Orlando. I'll see that you get a few adult beverages..a little R&R and a ride to the airport. Be cool to see ya.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 8:38am
havnt got the date yet John, maybe sometime next month, i surely will let you know
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 8:39am
Pete, yesterday we chalkfasted a strut bearing in, optically aligned the bearing to the back of the engine, put 8 adjusting screws around the bearing to adjust in the strut, closed off the entire bearing area for no leaks and injected the chamber with chalkfast in grease guns pumped in from the bottom...I normally frown upon any epoxy's but, this *************** is used often to hold big, big engines in, 30,000psi its rated for, google it and see what you think...its an accepted repair.
brand name is chalkfast
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 8:41am
the guy tells me you cant even drill this ***************, we put a little water in the half used gallon and it expanded as he said it would and i took a temp reading on the can and it was holding 189 degrees for an hour, i dont know whats in this ***************, im sure proprietary
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 9:24am
sorry, Chockfast
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 9:27am
CHOCKFAST®
Very interesting! Epoxies sure do have great uses. On high stress concrete floor anchoring, I don't even consider expansion anchors anymore - it's epoxy all the way!

I've got a fire pump that was set on a concrete base back in the 60's. The base is crumbling and the motor to pump coupling is showing signs of misalignment. I'll sure consider the Chockfast for the new base.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 8:24am
these fcks flew in (2) to set it up, no tools at all, all they do is mix the *************** and i had to inject it, I had heat lamps with spare bulbs sitting there and the guy tracked me down to tell me one of my lights blew out, he told me were not paid to change light bulbs WTF, had to stop what i was doing and go change the fcn bulb, 20 miunute ordeal.
Pete, I see alot of it used on bases and engines, its pricey but they did mention going into power plants and tearing out the concrete and replacing with chockfast
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 8:37am
it will be interseting to see how this all plays out, they really dont listen to the new guy (me) and are really not use to doing alot of this type of boat repair, you got 330 tons up on 10 resting points and the optical guys found both engines up .300, (they too dont do many alignments) more powerplant stuff and in line engine boring, I told them thats the built in sag from when the boat is built, they went back on center, I just fcn sit back and watch, its really going to fck me though when i get the shafts back up in there because of the pilotless couplings and fitted bolts, they slid (the reamed to fit bolts) right the fck out when i took it apart. I will have to bust out the engine chockfast and start all over..i think this is going to be a "I told you so"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 8:41am
btw, if there is any mis alignment with fitted pilotless couplings, you dont get the bolts out. it really is irratating...one thing i do understand very well is alignments   lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 11:24am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

these fcks flew in (2) to set it up, no tools at all, all they do is mix the *************** and i had to inject it, I had heat lamps with spare bulbs sitting there and the guy tracked me down to tell me one of my lights blew out, he told me were not paid to change light bulbs WTF, had to stop what i was doing and go change the fcn bulb, 20 miunute ordeal.

They must be union guys! I'm surprised they even talk to peon's like yourself and myself!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic