NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rough 1993 Ski - Floor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rough 1993 Ski - Floor
    Posted: May-22-2012 at 2:43am
So I have fixed up the floor in the boat. I'll post a couple of pictures so you can critique/laugh at the end result. I have to admit that it looks odd compared to the remainder of the floor.

The foam and my floor, ready to seal up:

The supplies:

The glass and resin all wet:

What you can't see here is that I have two types of glass in here. I used a woven/chop combo fabric and plain-old woven fabric. There are about 6 layers of glass, cut at 45-degree angles to each other.

The end result:

After I let it dry overnight I went out an tapped on it. It felt as solid as a rock. I then climbed aboard and gingerly took my first step. It cracked and popped a bit at first, and then was silent. I think we have success.

Next step - carpet! 28 oz (stock) or 40 oz?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
AussieNorts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 7:16am
Good to see you back on here Kevin. Looks the goods to me mate. Like how my floor looked after I sealed it up. I can not remember how thick I went but if you have any floor lockers be careful. On my 97 sport I have the ski locker running through where you have the cooler and battery box. After I put the new carpet in the locker was a bit tight to close, but the carpet feels nice.
Correct craft.....is there any other boat?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 7:18am
Hey this may be a bit off topic but have you removed the rub rail? I have removed mine and have new stuff to go on but am not sure of the procedure. Did a bit of a search on here and could not find the process of putting on new rub rail documented. You have any ideas? I have heard you have to put it in warm water to get it floppy?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 2:39pm
I have removed the rub rail, but have not installed a new one yet. I saw some video instructions somewhere but can't find it now. There is an instruction manual at Taco Marine. You want it warm. Laying it out in the sun in Australia or in a hot bathtub will work. Then you find the middle and start at the point in the bow and work back.

Interesting to note they don't want you using the old screw holes. I have no idea why. Anybody care to chime in? Why can't you use old holes in the hull to install a new rub rail?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 6:53am
Yeah I was wondering about that too, I read that instructional and they say you have to fill in the old holes. I heard some glass on the inside and then maybe 3M 5200 into the holes. That sounds like alot or work, I thought if you ran a bead of sealant under the rail that would be sufficient, if this is about water getting in?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 7:23pm
My old holes are not stripped, so I don't see the why here either. I was thinking of putting some sealant (not sure what type) on each screw before putting it in the existing holes. Will be interesting to get everything lined up and looking good. You've heard that eBay is the right way to get Taco rub rails, right?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 7:25pm
Oh! And - not to really pull this thread off the rails, but I found a GREAT source for stainless screws for boats. There is a West Marine not far from my home that has a great selection of stainless screws. It made me really happy to find that.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Interesting to note they don't want you using the old screw holes. I have no idea why. Anybody care to chime in? Why can't you use old holes in the hull to install a new rub rail?

I think the problem will be getting all those old holes to line up with the new rub rail.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Oh! And - not to really pull this thread off the rails, but I found a GREAT source for stainless screws for boats. There is a West Marine not far from my home that has a great selection of stainless screws. It made me really happy to find that.

West may be convenient but wow, the $$$. For any large quantity take a look at McMaster In fact, if I need any stainless (or unusual)fastener in a quantity over about 10 or 12, I just buy a box from them. Typically 100 from McMaster is cheaper than the 10 or 12 from the hardware. Yes, I have quite an inventory now!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 4:54pm
I have not found McMaster to have stainless screws that match what I'm taking out of my boat. Maybe I have been looking in the wrong place?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 5:01pm
Oh heck yes- McMaster has everything you need! My '90 was full of oval head stainless screws.

All the screws you could possibly need (and then some): sheet metal screws
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 5:26pm
And the threads were the same? It looks like the sheet metal screws are more finely threaded. Maybe I should take my bag of needed screws to West, find the right size and type, and then order from McMaster!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 5:35pm
Sheet metal screws are sheet metal screws. Whats the concern with the thread type? That would be a concern on bolts more than screws.

Forget West and just order what you need from McMaster- you'll thank us later.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 7:07pm
OK. I trust you! I know the length I need is 1-1/4", just need to figure out what thread size these rub rail screws are.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 7:50pm
Get a package of #6, #8 and #10... pretty sure theyre #8, but not 100%. Theyre cheap enough and handy to have around!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2012 at 1:56am
That's just a good idea. Get a bunch and then I won't have to worry about it. I checked and they wont' ship until after the holiday, so I'll go make an order on Monday. Note: a store that is giving it's employees the full Memorial Day weekend off - I definitely want to make a purchase now!
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2012 at 4:04pm
Since the thread is already a mess, I've got a rub rail question. Mine is still working fine, but has plenty of scars to show it has been doing its job. I don't think you can get the colored inserts and I'm not sure if mine is reusable. I was thinking a sort of retro mod would be to change it out to the rope insert and it would be even better if I could find a blue rope. Limited searching has only come up with a lite blue that wouldn't look very good, has anyone ever seen a pacific blue rope that might do the trick?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic