Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw Water Pump and engine rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw Water Pump and engine rotation
    Posted: May-24-2012 at 1:11pm
Had my raw water pump off over the winter. Went to put my raw water pump back on last night. I could not remember how the impeller case is assembled. It has a three hole pattern, so it has to be one of three ways. I know the hose on the bottom is the inlet side (mayb not?), so as the pump turns it has to draw water up and into the pump.

If I am looking at the front of my engine (the RWP is on the left), the engine rotates counter-clockwise (checked that by bumping starter). I found this one picture of some other guys motor. This is about the only way I can assemble my impeller case and actually get the hoses on. But, this seems TOTALLY wrong. The way it looks here, as the motor turns, the pump would be forcing water OUT the pickup hose.

So am I confused?

Guess I should have made some pics. but it seemed simple when I was taking it off. It was working great before I took it off.

Help!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 1:12pm
It would help to know the year and model of your boat.
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 1:32pm
Sorry... its an 87 SN, 351W motor, Sherwood pump. I think the pic was from an '89, but it looks just like mine.

I think I figured it out after I looked at closer at the impeller housing and looking at this picture from Sherwood. Mine will go back on just like the picture shown in my original post.

Now I just have to fix my stripped threads in the housing case and I will be good.

Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 1:38pm
On a reverse rotation PCM 351w like your '87, the screw on the body of the pump faces out (towards the starboard side of the boat). When assembled, the 2 halves of the pump should allow the inlet and outlet to be pretty close to vertical, as pictured... there is only one (right) way that the pump can go together.

To make it easier for next time you remove the pump and disassemble it, I would recommend adding a scribe mark across the pump halves so you know which way it goes back together. Adding an arrow on the top of the pump body with the correct rotation will remind you which way it spins, and which direction is up.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by karthur karthur wrote:

Sorry... its an 87 SN, 351W motor, Sherwood pump. I think the pic was from an '89, but it looks just like mine...

Careful, in 89, they started with the gear reduction transmission and Left Hand rotation motors. So, even though yours is the same design, there is a good chance the rotation is different.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic