NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another 1980 Stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by ski-guy ski-guy wrote:

] but I am having a furnace installed in the garage next month so should get it done for next summer (is that really a boat cost??)

Only if you never turn it on for other projects Your job looks great,I like the look of new stringers.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2013 at 8:44pm
Well a 3 and a half month hiatus and I was able to find some tiime over the Christmas break to epoxy in the last secondary stringer. Furnace works great - could hold 80F when it was -20C (~-4F?) outside.

Did have a bit of a mess-up on the port side secondary stringer - partially because I assumed a measurement (how is a finished 1X8 only 7" and not 7 and 1/2) and it must have shifted - so it is too close to the primary. I will just adjust the 'inner secondary" (the piece that juts out to make sure I have the 5" trough that was there for the mufflers originally. Interestingly the elevation seems still okay relative to where the floor was previously.

Starting to cut some biax for the primary. Have been trying both the 2"4" 8" tape and the 17oz biax - seem to have better success with the biax - had to sand a bunch of my 8" glass after the 2"and 4" seemed perfect i ended up with a bunch of air in the 8" which i ground out making a mess again. Oh well, this is supposed to be fun (right).

Looking at other posts and realizing still how far to go. Maybe I didn't need to order the upholstery quite yet
1980 SN - don't worry dear, I may have $10+K into this project boat but I can easily sell it for $5k

2000/2001 Glen-L 'Squirt'

2006 Malibu LSV
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:48am
Hey Chuck!

I am getting in on this a little late, but your work looks pretty good. I am glad you decided to replace the wood even if it appeared okay. Rot is caused by a fungus. Fungus has spores. These spores cannot be seen with the naked eye. If you had "pieced" a repair together, it is possible that the "good looking" wood may have contained some spores that would have led to more rot.

As for your transom drain, I have put one in my Southwind, too. It isn't original (sorry Pete), but if you trailer your boat, I am sure that you store it a little nose high. If you have a transom drain, the water will run out. Also, when sitting on the trailer and coupled to your tow vehicle, there is no guarantee that the factory installed drain is in fact the low point. Of course, following the same logic, there is no guarantee the transom drain is either.

Another benefit (and don't cringe too much everyone) is that when you are on plane and you have water in the boat from people getting in and out during playtime, you can pop the transom drain and watch the water go right out the back. This way you are not trying to remove a plug around a running engine.

My dad used to do this with our old Crestliner when I was a kid. That slurping sound still sticks in my head as the moving water drew the water out of the boat. Just don't loose the plug or forget to put it back.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 1:49am
Did you build your Glen-L "Squirt"?
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 3:35am
yes - built the squirt a while ago when my kids were much smaller - doesn't get much use now but no-one will let me get rid of it.....

1980 SN - don't worry dear, I may have $10+K into this project boat but I can easily sell it for $5k

2006 Malibu LSV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 3:54am
I don't blame them. Glen-L has some pretty cool boats. They now have Ken Hankinson's designs, too, since Ken passed.

When I was married, the 10 year and I were going to do a stitch and glue boat. Sometimes I am sorry that didn't happen.

That Squirt looks like a blast! Is it very fast?
1974 Southwind 20
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 7:38pm
At one point we figured it got up to about 30mph - seems much faster when you are in it.

2006 Malibu LSV
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 7:55pm
That Squirt looks like it might cause a serious lifelong addiction to boating
This is the life
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 6:49pm
Took a break from the epoxy yesterday to take off some engine parts to clean and repaint for when the engine is ready to go back in. Stripped the 5/16 hex on one of the exhaust manifold bolts. Guessing I'll drill off the head to get the manifold off and then have to try and drill out the shaft to use an ezee out on? I am sure I'm not the first this has happened to. Didn't need this but probably not too unexpected (especially when I let my in-experienced son work on that part). Least it is only one bolt.

2006 Malibu LSV
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:11pm

Stripped the 5/16 hex on one of the exhaust manifold bolts. Guessing I'll drill off the head to get the manifold off and then have to try and drill out the shaft to use an ezee out on?

Chuck,
A socket head cap screw is a grade 8 or better. They are hardened so I doubt you will have any luck drilling. Grind or cut the head off with the Dremel. Then, grab the shank with vise grips since you will have the same problem drilling for an ez-out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Stripped the 5/16 hex on one of the exhaust manifold bolts. Guessing I'll drill off the head to get the manifold off and then have to try and drill out the shaft to use an ezee out on?

Chuck,
A socket head cap screw is a grade 8 or better. They are hardened so I doubt you will have any luck drilling. Grind or cut the head off with the Dremel. Then, grab the shank with vise grips since you will have the same problem drilling for an ez-out.

Exhaust manifold bolts are Grade 8? Head bolts, sure, but exhaust?

Chuck,

You might want to consider going to exhaust studs. Chrysler used them and they seem to have less trouble.

Tony
1974 Southwind 20
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 8:18pm
I had to drill one out today when removing the manifolds, took best part of an hour!!
'82 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

I had to drill one out today when removing the manifolds, took best part of an hour!!

Head bolt or exhaust bolt?
1974 Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Tonali_III Tonali_III wrote:

Chuck,

Tony

Tony,
Before you make a assumption about socket head cap screws, you may want to do some research.

From the tech description:
"The standard among high-strength fasteners, these screws are made from an alloy steel that's comparable to Grade 8 steel and conforms to ASTM A574. They have a black-oxide finish that provides lubricity and mild rust resistance.

Screw sizes through 1" have a Class 3A thread fit. Screw sizes larger than 1" have a Class 2A thread fit. Screw sizes through 1/2" have a minimum Rockwell hardness of C39 and minimum tensile strength of 180,000 psi. Screw sizes larger than 1/2" have a minimum Rockwell hardness of C37 and minimum tensile strength of 170,000 psi. Screw length is measured from under the head."

BTW, I mentioned a socket head cap screw is grade 8 or better. A grade 8 has a min. tensile of 150,000 PSI and a C33 Rockwell!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 9:04pm

Chuck,

Tony

Tony,
Before you make a assumption about socket head cap screws, you may want to do some research.

"The standard among high-strength fasteners, these screws are made from an alloy steel that's comparable to Grade 8 steel and conforms to ASTM A574. They have a black-oxide finish that provides lubricity and mild rust resistance.

Screw sizes through 1" have a Class 3A thread fit. Screw sizes larger than 1" have a Class 2A thread fit. Screw sizes through 1/2" have a minimum Rockwell hardness of C39 and minimum tensile strength of 180,000 psi. Screw sizes larger than 1/2" have a minimum Rockwell hardness of C37 and minimum tensile strength of 170,000 psi. Screw length is measured from under the head."

BTW, I mentioned a socket head cap screw is grade 8 or better. A grade 8 has a min. tensile of 150,000 PSI and a C33 Rockwell!!

Just like an engineer! Which book is this quoted from?
I still didn't know that an exhaust bolt was Grade 8 or equivalent. And I stand by using studs instead. Having used both, studs sre easier to work with.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 9:06pm
And, yes, I am familiar with tensile strength numbers and Rockwell hardness test numbers and Fit classes.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 9:32pm

Chuck,

Tony

Tony,

Technical Data; Cap Screws

See Pete? I can be trained.
1974 Southwind 20
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:10am
I missed this conversation until now but had been looking for drill bits since mine didn't touch the bolt (thought I just had cheap bits)- was going to try some left hand bits thinking it might work the bolt out during drilling?. I don't have a dremel but I can get hold of one I am sure (another project tool) but what kind of blade can you get for that to cut the hard steel? It always seemed like such a little tool (if only my 4" grinder would fit).

2006 Malibu LSV
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:25am
Left handed drill bits can help so can a dremel,I use mine alot. If you guy's are finding allen headed bolts in an 80's boat I'd bet they have already been changed. My Dads 87 PCM'd boat had regular bolts. He had a hard time getting them off the first time mostly because of the center console.He then used stainless allen heads with anti seize and had no problem removing them again. 1100+ hours in salt water,he was on his 3rd set.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 10:02am
Is there any way to get a torch onto the bolt's head? Use a fine tip & keep the heat on the bolt so you don't warp the head. If nothing else, it will soften the bolt to make it easier to drill.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 1:18pm
Manifold bolt, one of the hex ones - it took 2 HSS drill bits, some oil and plenty of swearing!!

Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

Head bolt or exhaust bolt?
'82 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 5:33pm
If I understand you correctly, the "hex bolt" you referring to has an inside hex, correct? I was thinking hex bolt as in hexagonal shaped head.

If it's a inside hex, then yes, those are typically heat treated bolts and will require a pretty stout drill bit and a lot of time.

Tony
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 5:35pm
I wasn't getting the nomenclature.

Sorry, Pete.

"Nomenclature, nomenclature!" as my old aircraft hardware instructor used to say.
1974 Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 9:22pm

If I understand you correctly, the "hex bolt" you referring to has an inside hex, correct? I was thinking hex bolt as in hexagonal shaped head.

If it's a inside hex, then yes, those are typically heat treated bolts and will require a pretty stout drill bit and a lot of time.

Tony

Stripped the 5/16 hex on one of the exhaust manifold bolts.   

Tony,
What size bolt uses a 5/16" hex head?? I doubt his manifolds are held on with 10-32 or 10-24 machine screws!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 9:27pm
Pete,

okay, point taken.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 9:28pm
Pete,

okay, point taken.

Stop beating me up, already.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 9:37pm
Pete,

Would Lubriplate or some other thread anti seizing lubricant keep this from happening again & at the same time allow enough torque to keep the bolt from backing out?

What about using thread lubricant and a bolt locking device similar to what is used on high performance auto engines for headers?

thanks,

Tony
1974 Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 10:16pm

I missed this conversation until now but had been looking for drill bits since mine didn't touch the bolt (thought I just had cheap bits)- was going to try some left hand bits thinking it might work the bolt out during drilling?. I don't have a dremel but I can get hold of one I am sure (another project tool) but what kind of blade can you get for that to cut the hard steel? It always seemed like such a little tool (if only my 4" grinder would fit).

Chuck,
Dremel has a small abrasive cut off wheel that's about 1&1/2" in diameter. It will fit into tight areas. Check it to see if it would work. Besides the cut off, you could try some mounted stones in the Dremel. It won't be quick but they will grind the head off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 2:19am
Pete and everyone - thanks for all the input. Probably won't get back at it for a week or more but will let you know how it goes.....

2006 Malibu LSV
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 12:38pm

yes - built the squirt a while ago when my kids were much smaller - doesn't get much use now but no-one will let me get rid of it.....

I really like that squirt. I am very tempted to try something like that in the next year or two. My boys will soon be the right age to help with a project like that.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic