Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BENT CUTLASS HOUSING

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BENT CUTLASS HOUSING
    Posted: May-27-2012 at 11:45pm
Well, I messed things up today. Was going about 1MPH and climbed up on top of a stump, killing the engine but bending the housing underneath the boat that the drive shaft goes through. Propeller looks ok, maybe, but the housing is definitely bent.

I will start searching the past topics tonight for similar situations but I need ya'lls help. I know it will be expensive but it's my fault.

Thanks,

Scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2012 at 11:58pm
I guess what I bent is the strut. Sorry.

Guess the question is:

1. Can it be straightened?
2. Do I want to straighten it or buy a replacement?
3. What other damage should I look for?
4   Why did the engine cut off when I got on top of the stump?
5. Can I make the repairs myself or do I take it somewhere?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 12:19am
Scott most good propeller shops can bend the strut back,you will have to pull it and send it in,you might as well check the strut cutlass too since your that far into it.You will also be best to pull the drive shaft and have it checked for straightness too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 12:42am
Gary,

Thanks. I'm not sure the prop shops around here could handle it or not but if you or anyone else has a suggestion anywhere in the country of a shop that definitely could handle it, I will ship it to them.

Now, finding out how to remove the drive shaft and everything else is another story. I will start scanning the forum for past situations like this. Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 12:03pm
Post some pic's so we can see how bad it is.
They tweek left and right easily to straighten but if the base is bent they become a bit@h.
To pull the shaft you have to drop the strut and remove the drive shaft coupler.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 12:18am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Post some pic's so we can see how bad it is.
They tweek left and right easily to straighten but if the base is bent they become a bit@h.
To pull the shaft you have to drop the strut and remove the drive shaft coupler.

I tried to take a couple of pictures but I have not taken the prop off yet so you can't accurately see the severity. I will take the prop off in the morning and post some pictures then.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will get up early in the morning take the prop off, then try and remove the strut, then try and remove the drive shaft. If anyone has any secrets or advice on this dissasembly, please respond before I get at it in the morning.

Btw, this is causing major anxiety as I am planning on going to the music city mini in 19 days so I need to get this fixed.

Thanks,

Scott
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 11:29am
Coupler removal. If you use 3/8 all-thread you won't need all the washers.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 2:02pm
Thanks for the tool picture.

Going outside now to try and take it apart. Called the local Mastercraft dealer(we don't have a Nautique Dealer around) and White lake Marine and they both said they don't even discuss straightening a strut and just replace them with new pieces.

Thought?
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 3:53pm
Well, got the prop and strut off, came off pretty easy. Took it to a local prop shop and the basically said "no can do". Went to another reputable boat dealer and they said they would not put it back in the boat even if it were "straightened". Only offered new equipment.

At this point, nobody is favoring straightening it, just but a new one.

Going out side to try and remove the drive shaft.

Gary, could post a picture but it looks like I may have to buy a new one anyway.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Coupler removal. If you use 3/8 all-thread you won't need all the washers.

I am starting to press it out using your photo.

Probably have to make a run to Lowe's as I doubt if I have the right size bolts.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 7:19pm
I got my strut straigthen by Murphy's Prop in VA. Their service was great and quick. Most local prop shop didn't want to repair it but Murphy's they told me they have done this before. This shop was recommended by somebody on this forum and it worked for me. It looks very good. You might want ot check around town and if you can't find anybody local give them a call I think their number is 757.853.4731. If I recall correctly they charge me $75 with a a new cutlass bearing. I stripped the hex set scre and they took care of that too.

This is how it used to be. Perfect when I got it back.

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

I got my strut straigthen by Murphy's Prop in VA. Their service was great and quick. Most local prop shop didn't want to repair it but Murphy's they told me they have done this before. This shop was recommended by somebody on this forum and it worked for me. It looks very good. You might want ot check around town and if you can't find anybody local give them a call I think their number is 757.853.4731. If I recall correctly they charge me $75 with a a new cutlass bearing. I stripped the hex set scre and they took care of that too.

This is how it used to be. Perfect when I got it back.

Thank for the input.

I talked with a company in Michigan today called Marine Machining. A local boat shop recommended them and they were the first google search that appears when I typed "Strut Straightening". Talked with a guy named Will and it sounds like they are where I might send my shaft and strut. They seemed absolutely positive they could fix me up.

Speaking of the shaft, when I put the socket between the flanges to push the drive shaft out, I noticed what looked like a square "key" hole, on the propeller side flange. Does anyone know if I push on it and the shaft or just the shaft bypassing this little square?

Also, how much do I push before the drive shaft separates from the flange?

Thanks everyone.

Scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 8:57pm
By the way Anthony, was your drive shaft bent as well?
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 9:06pm
Yeap! I got a new ARE shaft.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 9:23pm
The place in Michigan said they straighten shafts from ocean liners 8ft. thick on down and assured me they could handle mine. I hope they can do what they say. Will try and take out the shaft in the morning after I get off work.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 1:05am
After about 5hrs, strut and drive shaft removed and on a FEDEX plane to Michigan tonight. Shaft did not look bent but I sent it anyway. Prop will be ready tomorrow.

GUN DRIVER is THE MAN and knows his stuff. He can bring less beer to Nashville because he has one coming frm me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic