NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got Her (68 Mustang) Running!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got Her (68 Mustang) Running!
    Posted: June-14-2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Gregman380 Gregman380 wrote:

Let me ask this question: Once the engine is started will water immediately come out of the exhaust or does the thermostat have to open first?

When the therm is closed, water will bypass out the back. It may take a few secs though as the system fills to see it out the back.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gregman380 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregman380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 12:10pm
Great! Thanks for the response. I have been looking on Sherwood's site and do not see an exact match. A lot are close, but not exact configurations.

Regards,

Greg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregman380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 12:09pm

Hey!

I understand the circulation pump and the RWP are not the same animal. I was thinking that since this is a new boat for me I may change out the circulation pump while I am getting the RWP working correctly.

Let me ask this question: Once the engine is started will water immediately come out of the exhaust or does the thermostat have to open first? This is my first Correct Craft, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance..

Thanks for your response,

Greg
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 11:16am
That Sherwood uses the common PCM Ford impeller.

impeller at SkiDIM
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 10:47am
Are you having problems with the circulation water pump? This is not the RWP.

There are several kinds, regular rotation, reverse, bi-directional. Be careful which one you buy.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregman380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 9:23am
Thanks for the information! I will take it apart and see what's stamped on the inside..

Have great day,

Greg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 9:06am
Greg,
The pump model # should be stamped on the sealing surface between the cover and body. Then look for it here and here as well as checking the old impeller to the new dimensionaly.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregman380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 8:21am
Pete,

Can you help me identify this RWP? I know it's a Sherwood but not sure of the model. I need a new impeller.

Also can I run a automotive water pump?

Thanks,

Greg

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 7:20pm
Greg,
When shopping for an impeller, I suggest sticking with the OEM and not a Sierra brand import. We have had some issues with the imports.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 6:59pm
Mine was pretty rough to begin with.

Much better now.

Do a search on transmission fluid change, or something similar.
Go to google and type in "transmission fluid site:correctcraftfan.com"
It's a better search than our site's.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregman380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 6:33pm
Vondy,

Thanks for the links. I will post some more engine photos later. If you know of any threads dealing with transmission oil I would appreciate seeing those as well.

The engine looks rough, but it runs!

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 6:03pm
My Correct Craft Parts

Skidim

For impeller

Yeah be sure to always hook it up to water, that lubes your impeller as well as cools your exhaust manifolds.

I'd change the trans oil too. You might need an extractor of some sort to suck it out. Don't use synthetic oil!

If you'd post a bunch of pics of everything, engine, floor, etc., you'll get a lot more comments.

Good luck, the Mustangs are a blast to drive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregman380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 11:16am
Pete,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I was just reading some of your older post on the RWP impellers. Yes, I did start the boat with no water. I did not realize that there was an impeller involved. I was really just concerned if the boat would even start since I purchased it without ever hearing it run.

I would feel better with a fresh one anyway! Any recommendations on where to find one for this 1968 Mustang with a Ford 289? It's looking like I will have to replace the manifolds as well. I see signs they are leaking.

Thanks again for the information. I am very new to the board but appreciate everyone's experience here! My brother in law had a 1965 Correct Craft and I have been hooked ever since!

Best Regards,

Greg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 9:40am
Greg,
Yes, you are correct on using the hose in the boats suction side hose for cooling.

Have you been running it without water? If so, there's a good chance that the rubber impeller in the RWP ii burnt up. You should probably change it anyway.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregman380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 9:22am
I was able to get my 1968 Mustang running over the weekend. I changed out the automotive Holley and put on a Marine Holley R84023-1. After a few attempts she is running anyway! Now I have to keep going... Also, I changed the oil out and it was nasty!

Does the Transmission require a fluid change or can I check the level some how?

Lastly the only place or way I can see to get water running through the engine is to take the hose off the water inlet on the bottom of the hull. Does this sound right?

I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction!

Best Regards,

Greg

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic