Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replace Cutless Bearing?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace Cutless Bearing?
    Posted: June-11-2012 at 12:39pm
Good morning everyone, try posting this in General Discusion, but maybe this the better forum. Anyway ,yesturday before heading out I was cleaning up the boat and checking things out and come to find that I have some play in the cutless bearing. Not to much, I can move shaft maybe 1/16". I'm assuming its been like this for a while, and that it is probably the original bearing. Thing is, we are leaving for Arkansas next Saturday, and want to know if I can get away with this for another couple weeks before tearing into this project. I have never done the procedure,(coupler removal, rudder removal, cutless removal, tranny alignment, ect.). I know I will be more than capable of accomplishing this, through the threads and help from you all, I just dont want to rush things and I wont be able to test it out before leaving for Arkansas, and I would hate to do all that work, drive down there, and have something not right. I would appreciate any insight on this. Thanks. 96' Ski Nautique, 351 Carbed, 1-1:23 tranny.

Mark
levin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 1:10pm
Mark,
I suggest waiting until you get back to undertake the job. You never know what you will run into.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 4:26pm
Thanks for the reply Pete, I was hoping that I can get a way with it for a lttle more while, kinda afraid of opening up a can of worms before heading south, and dont want to be down for long. I'll plan on attacking it when we get back. Thanks
levin
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 11:28pm
Alright Pete, heres one for you. I was doing some thinking, and want to see what you thought about this. My boat has about 1200hrs on it now, and runs great (knock on wood). If I could put this project off till the end of the season, what are your thoughts on doing all the above work, plus repacking rudder and drive shaft, and most importantly, pulling the trans and sending it to FFM to get a rebuild/check on it. Then have all the time in winter to reassemble. If it is necessary to get the cutlass bearing replaced asap, I will tackle the project as planned. Just want yours and anybody elses thoughts on this. Thanks.

Mark
levin
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 2:07am
Just jumping in here Mark, your plan sounds like a good one. I put up with a slight drip in my tranny last season, and pulled it when I pulled the boat for winter. I'd say you're safe to do the same.

And in looking at what you're planning on doing, get some opinions and Pete's thoughts on doing the reassembly with a double-taper shaft and since it's all apart, even thought it's a few more bucks you could also consider a packless shaft seal: http://www.correctcraftfan.com/articles/PSS.asp

MS
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 8:51am
Mark,
Are you getting excess vibration? The 1/16" is alot.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 10:14am
To be honest with you Pete, I think she runs pretty smooth, We've only had the boat for two years, so I'm new to the scene, but I never have noticed any excessive vibration at any speed, maybe when I turn when I'm under power pulling a skier, but we ski on the Illinois river, so turning under power is at a minimum. Eric posted in general discussion that it has probably been like this for a couple years, and that how long we've had the boat. I'm assuming that I have'nt operated the boat with the cutlass in good condition since I bought it. Like I said, I was just cleaning things up and checking out the prop and shaft and noticed that it had some play in it.
levin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 10:59am
Mark,
Considering you've gone the couple years already, I don't see a problem waiting till fall.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 1:34pm
I'm with everyone else, unless you have significant vibrations I'd just wait till winter and get all your maintenance done at once. That being said, if you go with the ARE double taper replacement assembly the cutlass bearing is a 3-4hr job that is fairly straight forward and easy. So if vibrations do pop up or if you just want to knock it out now it really isn't a bad job, and you don't really save a ton of time labor wise doing them together(only overlapping parts is unbolting the 4 bolts on the cutlass halvs and sliding the shaft down/out so you can separate the tranny from the engine). Though downtime wise you could be doing the cutlass bearing and new shaft install while FFM is rebuilding the tranny. ARE shaft system will run ya $500ish(having done it the reusing the stock coupler way I highly suggest it) and cutlass bearing(s) will be $72(don't bother with the hacksaw approach, tap them out with a 13/16" socket and ballpein, put the new ones in the freezer overnight and install them by hand)   
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 10:43pm
Thanks for the reply Foot, I think I am going to wait till winter and go ahead and pull the tranny and replace everything else. I will be able to be patient and not in a hurry to get things done.   I already planted the seed about the tranny, so hopefully that will be a go when I do disassemble everything. When the time comes, I'll be in need of some guidance, I appreciate everyones advice on this and will be looking forward to tearing into this project in the fall. Thanks again.
Mark
levin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic