NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dripless Shaft Seal Comments Please

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dripless Shaft Seal Comments Please
    Posted: June-14-2012 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I can speak for the OJ seal, which is the only one I'd buy mainly because it's fairly inexpensive. I had one for 4 summers and really liked it. There is something to be said for having at least 1 thing in the boat that you just plain don't have to worry about.

Of course, I still had a wet bilge- water from skiers (after all, we're talking about a WATERSKI boat here and if it's moving, there is somebody behind it who is covered in water) as well as water from the rudder or whatever else. YMMV.

Installing a very blunt single-taper driveshaft backward through a very delicate, backward facing double-lip seal is a VERY iffy procedure (HW and CQ- I teed that one up nicely). I tore the first seal I had on installation, then got a replacement which I amazingly installed without tearing. When I did my cutlass bearings this spring, 4 years later, I tore the seal again on re-installation. Each installation attempt was done with the single-taper install tool from OJ. The tolerances are just way too tight and the tool ends up evaporating between the shaft and the inner surface of the seal housing. This time I said to hell with it and put the entire old stuffing box on. Works just fine and I'm happy with it. I'm sure it's easier with a double taper shaft OR with the engine pulled.

I sell and service the OJ seal product and have had great success installing on both double taper and single taper shafts. I dont use the tool that is supplied and utilize tape on the shaft end being installed upon and lots of grease. Have not ruined one yet but keep in mind again we do this for a living and have "all" the tools required.
Personally We run the OJ Seal on our go fast stuff as well as our ski boats, when we do the 25 hour check on the new 200 I will install a new dripless OJ seal.
Down side to the seal is that it does not tolerate mis-alignment well at all and will fail rapidly if a overly mis-aligned situation exist.

Thanks. No idea if mine has double or single taper, it's a 74 with presumably the original shaft. Any idea?

Installation/alignment is critical to the process then. Can I presume by your "misaligned will fail rapidly" comment you mean it would add a whole new dimension to a wet bilge, or are we talking some mechanical failure?

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 2:46pm

I can speak for the OJ seal, which is the only one I'd buy mainly because it's fairly inexpensive. I had one for 4 summers and really liked it. There is something to be said for having at least 1 thing in the boat that you just plain don't have to worry about.

Of course, I still had a wet bilge- water from skiers (after all, we're talking about a WATERSKI boat here and if it's moving, there is somebody behind it who is covered in water) as well as water from the rudder or whatever else. YMMV.

Installing a very blunt single-taper driveshaft backward through a very delicate, backward facing double-lip seal is a VERY iffy procedure (HW and CQ- I teed that one up nicely). I tore the first seal I had on installation, then got a replacement which I amazingly installed without tearing. When I did my cutlass bearings this spring, 4 years later, I tore the seal again on re-installation. Each installation attempt was done with the single-taper install tool from OJ. The tolerances are just way too tight and the tool ends up evaporating between the shaft and the inner surface of the seal housing. This time I said to hell with it and put the entire old stuffing box on. Works just fine and I'm happy with it. I'm sure it's easier with a double taper shaft OR with the engine pulled.

I sell and service the OJ seal product and have had great success installing on both double taper and single taper shafts. I dont use the tool that is supplied and utilize tape on the shaft end being installed upon and lots of grease. Have not ruined one yet but keep in mind again we do this for a living and have "all" the tools required.
Personally We run the OJ Seal on our go fast stuff as well as our ski boats, when we do the 25 hour check on the new 200 I will install a new dripless OJ seal.
Down side to the seal is that it does not tolerate mis-alignment well at all and will fail rapidly if a overly mis-aligned situation exist.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

So you're saying you that other than tearing a seal the first time you were very pleased with the OJ for 4 years, and if you hadn't done the cutlass bearing this year you'd have continued to be happy with it, correct? Is there a reported lifespan?

Not sure what I'll do, just doing some research, thanks

Exactly! Awesome product other than the near-impossible installation on single taper shaft.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 11:12am
I'm very happy with my new PSS seal. It didn't come with the T or tubing though. I installed it from the prop end, but the engine was out. It was definately a timing thing...the engine was out and I had a new shaft that had the coupler trued to the shaft on a lathe. I haven't tried removing a coupler yet and don't want to.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 9:36am

So you're saying you that other than tearing a seal the first time you were very pleased with the OJ for 4 years, and if you hadn't done the cutlass bearing this year you'd have continued to be happy with it, correct? Is there a reported lifespan?

Not sure what I'll do, just doing some research, thanks
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 12:20am

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jeff,
My opinion is the seal isn't really worth the effort. The exception is if you are doing major drive line R&R when you're removing it all anyway. I've been around enough old boats for so many years that a wet bilge is the norm. I suggest don't go for the "bling" unless needed. The stuffing box and now with the Gortext works big time!!!

Gotta love another old-school guy who calls an unseen mechanical gadget in the bilge of an almost 40-year old boat "Bling"

Tim Morfoot said he'd go check out the Southwind with me, hopefully sometime soon. Dripless would depend on what might need to be done.

Century: Had been told to repack could have to remove shaft in which case dripless may certainly be worth further investigation.

I'm with you on wet bilge the norm, but after seeing a hundred stringer repair threads it can make a guy paranoid.......

Actually I think I'm good stringer-wise. Look for a new post "Interior Replacement analysis" and tell me what you think

Thanks

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 10:19pm
Jeff,
My opinion is the seal isn't really worth the effort. The exception is if you are doing major drive line R&R when you're removing it all anyway. I've been around enough old boats for so many years that a wet bilge is the norm. I suggest don't go for the "bling" unless needed. The stuffing box and now with the Gortext works big time!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 9:46pm
Considering Dripless Shaft Seal and have read a few threads but request comments, pros, cons, advice:

Boat 1: 74 Southwind 18. Normal drip rate but may need to do dampener plate/etc (t.b.d.) so might consider dripless refit at same time. A dry bilge is a happy bilge....expecially in a 38 year old Correct Craft.

Boat 2: 75 Century Mark II. Steady flow. Packing nut adjusted 2 years ago, recent attempt unsuccessful won't budge, maybe no more adjustment left and needs repacked(?) Directly under tranny (V-Drive) so must do by feel with really poor visibility in mirror, compounded by rising water. Bilge solid, nice, & clean (original owner) but never never ever wanna mess with it again, what a pain in the #@$&*....

Opinions please

Thanks

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic