NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Must have volt/ohm meter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Must have volt/ohm meter
    Posted: June-15-2012 at 10:27pm
I have mentioned it so many times that I've forgotten how many times I;ve actually mentioned, it. The basic volt/ohm meter is key to troubleshooting
Most everything electrical on your boat it's needed. It's also great for problems with ignition systems. Here's a fantastic from HF. $5 how can you go wrong? I know many are not "electrically inclined" but, the VOM will come with basic instructions plus, we all here at CCfan are always here to help out.

BTW, if you do buy the VOM. Understand it comes in very handy around the house too. Amaze you wife when you fix the light in the bath room!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 10:39pm
Search for Pete saying "volt/ohm meter"

Sorry Pete, just having a little fun!!!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by cphase cphase wrote:

Search for Pete saying "volt/ohm meter"

Sorry Pete, just having a little fun!!!

Sorry Jeff but your search doesn't work!!! Mine does - I just checked it again!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:02pm
My computer overloaded after the search, better break out the volt checker
Mike
Lakedog55
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:02pm
Save us some time, how many pages?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:05pm
I used the quick search feature, didnt want to bring down the site!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:48pm
hi pete, just testing a reply. Tried to reply to another thread and got a system massage "rejected by Spam filters"

If this message does get thru, why would i have received the rejection messages?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

hi pete, just testing a reply. Tried to reply to another thread and got a system massage "rejected by Spam filters"

If this message does get thru, why would i have received the rejection messages?

above message got thru but then tried to reply to a different one and was again "rejected by Spam filters" whats that all about?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 12:04am
A server at one of the hops may be having issues, earlier today I was getting a Bad Gateway error. If it continues you can run tracert from a command prompt and it may tell you which server it is. Then you can notify the webmaster of the offending server.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 12:34am

A server at one of the hops may be having issues, earlier today I was getting a Bad Gateway error. If it continues you can run tracert from a command prompt and it may tell you which server it is. Then you can notify the webmaster of the offending server.

I think its ok now, thanks. I see you are in Newnan, I worked at Yamaha for 8 years and live in Peachtree City. What boat do you have and where do you use it?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 12:42am
Right now I am boat-less. We use to go to West Point all the time but the past ten to tweleve years we go to Jackson. West Point has to much trash in it. In 85 I bought a brand new SN backed if off the trailer pulled to the bank to pickup my GF and bent the prop!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 12:49am
I bet your glad to be out of Ptree City!!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:03am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have mentioned it so many times that I've forgotten how many times I;ve actually mentioned, it. The basic volt/ohm meter is key to troubleshooting
Most everything electrical on your boat it's needed. It's also great for problems with ignition systems. Here's a fantastic from HF. $5 how can you go wrong? I know many are not "electrically inclined" but, the VOM will come with basic instructions plus, we all here at CCfan are always here to help out.

BTW, if you do buy the VOM. Understand it comes in very handy around the house too. Amaze you wife when you fix the light in the bath room!!!!

Maybe you could write up a few simple checks for us to cut our teeth on? ex-put this here and look for this and why

It would be a great way to celebrate 20k!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:30am

I bet your glad to be out of Ptree City!!

Never been on West Point, been on Jackson nice little lake, heard level coming back up from the dam work.

I still live in PTC (13 years) what makes you say I'd be glad to be out?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:36am
TAXES!!!

We need to get together and have a beer!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 2:15am
I got me one of these sitting in my garage. Saw it at HF last fall and I did the same cost/benefit analysis: $5 for a digital multi-meter? Really? I think I paid $60 for the same thing back in the 80's, when a dollar was worth something! :)
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 9:22am
OK Pete, can't let this one lay.

There seems to be another post about not buying cheap stuff . . . paradox here?

PS, I myself would buy it!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 11:55am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

OK Pete, can't let this one lay.

There seems to be another post about not buying cheap stuff . . . paradox here?

PS, I myself would buy it!

Chris,
You know from my other post that I personally don't go for the cheap stuff! I posted the $5 DMM for anyone that needs a "less expensive" diagnostic tool. I believe many may think the DMM or VOM is an expensive tool???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 2:29pm
I'm with you Pete, but couldn't let it pass by.

I have a good DMM, but it went off to college with my son.

If I get to HF, I'm buying 2! Would be handy to keep 1 in the truck.

Ben Franklin
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 8:26pm
When doing resistance check isolate/power off when performing check. 2.0 and up is too much.
"Hit it"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Gmoney Gmoney wrote:

When doing resistance check isolate/power off when performing check. 2.0 and up is too much.

Is the 2.0 calculated for the amp load/wire size and length of wire run? What are you you using for your percent of voltage drop for the run?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 10:26pm
Voltage drop and resistance check two different test. Resistance is wires ability to conduct. Voltage drop is seeing actuators response to source voltage. Higj resistance can effect voltage drop. High resistance can become a load. No math just a quick simple check on wires abilty to perform its job. It all works in my little brain.
"Hit it"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Gmoney Gmoney wrote:

Voltage drop and resistance check two different test. Resistance is wires ability to conduct. Voltage drop is seeing actuators response to source voltage. Higj resistance can effect voltage drop. High resistance can become a load. No math just a quick simple check on wires abilty to perform its job. It all works in my little brain.

Gary,
Thanks for responding. However. you may want to get down to some basics. We are all not EE's here on CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2012 at 11:36pm
Sorry if i offended..i am No EE thats for dang sure. I have a very basic understanding of voltage. I do own a good category 3 digital multi meter and i am still learning how to effectively use it.
"Hit it"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 12:29am
Just think of a electrical circuit as if it was a water system.

The battery (or alternator) is a pump, the wires are pipes, the the light bulb is a sprinkler.

The smaller or longer the pipe, the more pressure (voltage) you lose throught it.

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic