Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rjtmetalworks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtmetalworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive questions
    Posted: June-19-2012 at 1:27am
Hi Everyone,
New to Correct Craft Fan. I recently bought a 72 Mustang powered by SBC RH rotation with velvet drive 1:1. The boat was sitting for almost 10yrs when I bought it. Brought it home changed all fluids put new batt in and fired it up. Started and ran surprisingly well. Put it in gear to check driveline and trans fluid started pouring out of input shaft seal but other than that everything seemed ok. Pulled trans replaced seal but didn't realize pump had RH or LH indexing till I already pulled pump cover off. From what I understood I indexed it to "RH Top". Now that its back together fired it up and it has like a dirty neutral in forward and reverse (I can put my foot on shaft and stop it). My question is have I indexed the pump correctly or is it possible i didnt let it run long enough to biuld pressure?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 8:30am
does it go into gear? if not the pump is indexed wrong, it should instantly go into a range
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtmetalworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 9:15am
No it doesen't seem to go into gear. Is my understanding wrong that if its a RH motor (it turns clockwise when standing behind motor) and it has a RH prop that the pump needs to be indexed to Rh top also?
Thanks for the response(s).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtmetalworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 9:16am
BTW the shifter is not hooked up i am shifting it manually on trans.
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 9:45am
The transmission rotation is expressed looking at the rotation from the front rather than to the back like the engine is. A clockwise turning(RH) engine at the crank will turn the pump counter clock wise(LH) at the front of the transmission.Hope the leak is not a symptom of a deeper problem. If it is Eric Lavine up above is the guy to talk to. If you've been lurking around here you probably have read that posting pics is almost a must!
Good Luck
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtmetalworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 10:50pm
Thank You Scott and Eric for your fast response and correct diagnosis! I pulled trans this afernoon and spun the pump cover like you both said and what do you know I have my gears back and no more trans leak. As far as posting pics that might just have to wait a little while. Like I mentioned before it's been sitting for 10yrs so I'd be too embarrassed with all the nice boats on here.
Thanks again for the help.
Tylor
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 10:56pm
Just recycling what Eric told me last year.
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic