NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Depth Gauge Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Depth Gauge Not Working
    Posted: June-23-2012 at 8:39pm
My depth gauge on the '98 Sport had been working properly, but now stopped working. It has power, the alarm setting can be accessed, but once in normal mode just has a blank screen. Any troubleshooting advice would be appreciated. Where is the sender located?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 5:24pm
I think the sender can be in different places. I've heard that they can be mounted in the bilge and shoot through the hull? Not really too sure how that works though.

Mine is mounted on the transom, kind of near one of the speedo pickups.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 6:35pm
Thanks Brian, I'll take a closer look. My friend's '98 Ski has it in the bilge at the front of the engine, but mine isn't there, and I just have to look closer. I really was thinking it was more likely the gauge itself than the sender, but have no idea how to test it to see if I'm right.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 7:05pm
Could just be the gauge.

It could potentially be a dash low voltage issue as well. Is everything else working as far as gauges etc.? Is it any more touchy with the bilge or blower or horn activated?

Yeah, not sure how these senders work. I noticed mine has a bunch of coiled cable under the dash, related to the sender. I'm guessing it's not like a regular copper wire that can be butt connected etc.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 2:24am
Everything else is working, gauges and clock. I have had a few instances where the bilge pump switch wouldn't click in, not sure why, but once it does the pumps work fine.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 1:33am
Ok, I kind of wish I hadn't started this thread. I had the dash off today to look at a few connections, found the depth gauge cable disconnected. It was fine last fall so not sure when it came apart. Gauge is working correctly now.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 1:38am

I think asking the questions and posting the answers is good, even if it's a simple fix. Too often people are afraid to admit it was something simple, so everyone down the line winds up thinking the fix is always going to be complicated.

Things can probably just shake loose. You also never know who or when with the installation.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 1:47am
Thanks, and you're right, good for people to see that sometime the answer is simple and right in front of you!

My radio doesn't work, not a big deal for me as I generally would rather not have tunes on the water, but then again I like things to work. In chasing the power lead, I find that dash is a pretty complex group of wires and connectors in a small area, I'm guessing all sorts of things can happen under there over time.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 1:45pm
Yeah, quite the confusing tangle. I assume yours is pretty similar to mine. A pod before the "smart" pod.

The radio is sometimes run off of one of the accessory breakers. You may want to check there, the accessory feeds are often orange wires.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic