Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bringing a chrysler 318 back to life

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mrplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bringing a chrysler 318 back to life
    Posted: July-20-2012 at 6:06pm
I have recently bought a 69 Correct Craft Mustang with a Chrysler 318. The PO had it out at their local lake 6 years ago and that was the last time they ran the motor. They said it ran perfectly fine the last time it was used. My question is where to start trying to get it running again, I have some ideas of things to check/replace. Any suggestions/knowledge on this would be great.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:56pm
Mike,
First, welcome to CCfan and of course we always ask for pictures!!

About the only thing I would suggest is squirting some Marvel Mystery Oil down each plug hole and then turn it over a few times by hand. Squirt some gas down the carb too and see if it starts. If not, the point set contacts may be corroded.

BTW, there is a good chance that it's a 273 and not the 318.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 9:29pm
i would recommend pouring 2-stroke down each barrel instead of gas. the oil helps lubricates the valves and stems and all. but turn it over without dumping gas&oil mix and confirm that you have oil pressure before attempting to start the boat.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 11:17pm
Any one else having trouble here lately? I tried posting this earlier but would not let me,and I could not logout. Had to restart,also having trouble with double posts.
Anyway--
Welcome Mike, nice to have another Mustang back. We require pictures    What color do you have? Chryslers are crawling out of the wood work lately and are a little different. If you look up by the top of the page under the header you will see a reference section, I think a Chrysler manual is in there. You will need to change the oil use Valvoline VR 20-50 in the silver bottle and a good filter Wix, NAPA or Purolator. Get a good battery, if you have to buy one get a regular starting battery NOT a marine battery. I would pull the valve covers and oil up the valve train, pull the plugs and put a little oil in them too, and see if it turns over ie not stuck and go from there IMO. There are getting to be more guy's that know Chryslers here. Any ? just ask.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Any one else having trouble here lately? I tried posting this earlier but would not let me,and I could not logout. Had to restart.

I believe it was this morning when the same happened to me. I too ended up logging off. The site didn't believe I was a member!! No double post problems though.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mrplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 2:12pm
Thanks guys for the advise,I will try to see what I can do. As far as pictures...I tried posting some here but it said I already uploaded that file. I'm not too computer savvy so I'm sure it's operator error. I put some pictures up on the diaries section but that's pending approval.

Never mind, I just renamed them and that worked.
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 12:11pm
Nice! It's still got the original manifolds! Not so sure it the alternator is marine? Pete will probably point out that the rubber hose feeding the carb from the pressure side of the pump better be coast guard approved! Probably a good idea to check on the impeller before starting her as well. I'm just imagining a dry impeller breaking up and disappearing in the nether regions of the cooling system. The cooling systems are a little screwy on these chryslers but are a great little power plant! How about some hull pics?
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 1:04pm
I'd say no on the fuel line to the carb. It sure looks like someone spliced in a section of rubber hose. Recently it was brought up that type A 1 hose is fine but the termination at the barb is a key issue. I do know the USCG specs call for double hose clamps at the barb. I'd just hard pipe to be on the safe side.

All the Chrysler's came through with those open alternators. I don't know if internal mods were made to make them ignition protected or not.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mrplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 9:43pm
I will definitely check on that hose and impeller, as for the alternator the PO said he had replaced it awhile back. I imagine there are more then a few things I need to check before I take her out.

Here are a few hull pictures.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 10:05pm
Mike,
It looks pretty good. Are you planning on a hull wet sand and buff? Looking at your pictures, I did spot a couple non original's. Namely the swim platform and the aft deck railing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mrplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 10:28pm
Pete
Thanks. Yes from the little research I've done, I did figure that the swim platform and railing weren't original. As for the wet sanding and buffing the hull I was going to ask about they best way of restoring it...although I'm mainly concerned with getting the motor running first. Seeing that I'm not extremely knowledgeable about motors and the fact that I'm deploying soon I've considered taking it to someone to get it running. If anyone knows of a reputable place in NC that would help out a lot.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 10:46pm
I don't know how close you are to Mooresville but you can't get any better than Race City Marine Plus they are knowledgeable on old Chrysler's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mrplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 9:03pm
Very cool, I'll contact them soon. I tried a place pretty close and they said they couldn't service them so I'm happy to hear of a place that does.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 9:38pm
Mike,
One of the principles over at Race City is our very own Reid Pinkham. He is a very long member here on CCfan plus, he has quite a collection of older CC's. Although I think at heart he's a Ford man, I do think he has a sweet spot for the Chrysler's too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 12:23am
Originally posted by mrplante mrplante wrote:

Very cool, I'll contact them soon. I tried a place pretty close and they said they couldn't service them so I'm happy to hear of a place that does.

"Couldn't service"..not uncommon. I've spoken with a number of shops in GA that won't work on Chryslers (or any old inboards). For most (around here anyway) their bread & butter is pontoons, bassboats, i/o's and modern uber-bucks inboards, so in thier (somewhat feeble) defense they don't really need to know the old stuff.........
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
mrplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 4:16pm
Pete,

Just e-mailed the folks in the service department of Race City Marine. Hopefully I'll have some luck and they'll work on this old Chrysler. Thanks again.

Mike
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:21am
Mike,

Welcome aboard! Your pics get my blood pumping. My first CC was a '69 Barracuda from NC about 6 years ago and that's where my current Chrysler 318 came from. My Barracuda was 800 lbs. heavier than your Mustang (not counting the extra 500 lbs. of water weight under the floor) and mine ran like a bull on steroids. Just wait 'til you hear that Chrysler rumble! Lake companions will ask you what engine you have in that boat just because they hear the sound.

Run the original itty bitty prop into a rock or a stump so you can justify replacing it with the biggest piece of meat you can fit. The engine makes plenty enough power to handle it, you'll notice a huge difference in acceleration, and you'll have a smile on your face as the boat goes down if the extra turbulence rips a hole in the bottom. Seriously, you do have to give some consideration to the proximity to the bottom of the boat, but you can fit a lot more surface area than the prop that appears to be on there. There's no comparison between my original prop and the one I currently run. You have a different hull than I've had, so I can't tell you whether my prop would be appropriate.

I'll second the reference to Race City Marine. I've been there. They know what they're doing & they love Correct Crafts. I know where you are and where they are and it's worth the hike. That said, the Chrysler is mostly a carbed car motor, so any Mopar mechanic with decent diagnostic skills can make it run for you. The cooling system & certain other characteristics are distinctively marine, so if you have problems there, you're probably better off going to a marine shop. Most regular boat mechanics cower when they see a Chrysler inboard, which is kinda puzzling since they used to be so common. And they're pretty simple. If it's just a matter of getting it going, scrape around for an older mechanic with a good carb background.

The alternator is marine-spec, and if your previous owner didn't source a marine one, he might've introduced a potential fire hazard. Last summer a local shop built a marine GM-style one-wire alternator in a Chrysler housing to replace my failed original. Apparently I'd been running a couple of years without a charging alternator. No wonder I had to charge my battery so much off the lake! And it's remarkable how long an engine will run on a battery. Coils don't really draw that much power once the engine is running. It's the auxiliaries that pull down a battery.

My original exhaust manifolds & elbows leaked internally and nearly drowned my freshly-rebuilt motor from the inside out, so I had to retire them, which nearly killed me because they scream "Chrysler" so eloquently. Barr Marine, which is in Buena Vista, VA, which is only 90 miles from me is the place to go if you should need replacements down the line. Make sure you buy all the right parts (copper tubes inside!) and install the correct gaskets correctly. Those parts are NOT optional. That was a recent episode you can find if you search.

I burned up my transmission & rebuilt it a couple of times before I bought an oversized trans cooler. Don't let your Velvet Drive tranny get too hot. My original tranny had so much internal heat damage to non-rebuildable parts that it just couldn't be resurrected. New ones aren't cheap.

Search my old posts for lots of experience you can hopefully avoid. The cooling systems are nothing to be afraid of...I've had my share of problems. They work fine when they're in good shape. An infrared thermometer can be a wonderful diagnostic tool.

Replace your impellers! It's easy to do and if they're not working (chewed up), you'll destroy your motor today. Look for the newer long-lasting (silicone, I think) material. I hadn't heard about it until recently. The rubber ones die too fast. I slather them well with vaseline before I install them. Makes'em go in easier and I imagine it helps them last a little longer. Tip: New impellers come with gaskets, but if you have to open up the pump between changes & tear the very delicate gaskets, you can cut new ones from clay-coated (glossy) magazine pages using the pump divider as a guide. I've done it many times. They don't need to be installed with any kind of gasket adhesive.

You can't run your engine more than a few minutes without water. I have two thru-hull pickups, so I have to run two long hoses spliced into the pickup overboard to a big trash can full of water. Even re-filling the trash can constantly with a garden hose that much water only lasts a few minutes running wide open if the impellers are drawing properly.

My under-floor exhaust system was disconnected and pumping exhaust water under the floor unbeknownst to me until I pulled up the floor. I'm sure it was doing that when I bought the boat because the pipes were obviously disconnected and the coupling copper tube had slid way up into the rubber exhaust hose. That's all buried in foam, so it's impossible to see unless the floor comes up. My clues were a boat that "leaked" way too fast inside to be explained by a breach of the hull, or a leaky driveshaft coupler. And the "incoming" water was warm: a dead giveaway I should've recognized if I'd realized it. And the output in the back from the exhaust wasn't the same. And one side took significantly longer to start pushing out water (first it had to fill the under-floor chamber) than the other on initial start-up. Things you learn.

Another alternative you might consider is delivering your boat to my driveway. I'll happily take good care of it while you're on deployment. Just a small favor for someone who is defending our country & I've always wondered what a 318 would do in a Mustang-weight hull.

Thomas
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:13am
I've got a 74 Southwind also, with a 351. (Other boat has a Chrysler 360, Go Mopar!) Mr brothers got a Southwind with Chrysler 318 also, your's a 20 footer?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:38am
Nope, Southwind 18 here. Let's go drag racing!
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:41am
Originally posted by tleed tleed wrote:

Just wait 'til you hear that Chrysler rumble! Lake companions will ask you what engine you have in that boat just because they hear the sound.

Totally agree. These chryslers sound SWEET.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 8:51am
Originally posted by tleed tleed wrote:

Run the original itty bitty prop into a rock or a stump so you can justify replacing it with the biggest piece of meat you can fit. The engine makes plenty enough power to handle it, you'll notice a huge difference in acceleration, and you'll have a smile on your face as the boat goes down if the extra turbulence rips a hole in the bottom. You have a different hull than I've had, so I can't tell you whether my prop would be appropriate.
Thomas

Mike,
Be real careful with this recommendation. As thomas mentioned. hull clearance to the prop is critical to avoid "hull rash" Yes, if the clearance isn't maintained then you will burn out the gel and even some of the glass. The normal rule of thumb is 10% of the prop diameter. Early Cuda's ran 12" diameters and then around 69 or 70 we believe CC changed the set up and ran 13". The new CNC props are the way to go. Charlie (Brady) and I did some testing on his 70 Cuda with a Acme 540 I have. Performance was great and the hull clearance was good.

Here's Charlie measuring the old prop. One thing to notice is the length of the prop shaft. you can see how far away from the strut the prop is. This distance should be about the same as the shaft diameter or just slightly less. When Charlie does go with a new prop, the shaft will be cut down in length. What is not known is if the shaft came from CC that way or a shaft change was made by the PO using the wrong length.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 12:24pm
He doesn't have a Cuda though,and no one makes a 12" cnc that I know of. If he gets it over to Race City and if he and when he decides he needs a new prop,Matt and Reid will set him up. A 12x12 or 12x13 will most likely fit his needs when it comes to that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

He doesn't have a Cuda though,and no one makes a 12" cnc that I know of. If he gets it over to Race City and if he and when he decides he needs a new prop,Matt and Reid will set him up. A 12x12 or 12x13 will most likely fit his needs when it comes to that.

Acme makes several 12.5" diameter props that work great and have plenty of clearance on the boats that came with 12" wheels originally. I run the 1210 (12.5x12) on my Skier.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 12:44pm
I just hiked out to my garage to confirm that a 12 x 13 ACME 540 is what I replaced my original prop with. But that's just my experience. No hull rash on my Barracuda or Southwind. But, then, it's not like my boat is high-mileage.
Thomas

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 12:46pm
no 12 inch CNC maybe, but hey do make a 12.5 inch that would work.. the acme 1210 i believe is the number
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 12:47pm
damn slow site... or just slow me..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:12pm
In my defence right now I have 1" between strut and prop and 1" between prop and bottom and slight prop rash another 1/4",unless an Acme is more raked,I feel would be pushing it.Next time were all together Tim bring one   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:44pm
The acme is in fact more raked... And has the same 1" of clearance as the Oj. No prop rash on my skier yet and I've been running it for 3-4 years. Not a ton of hours though.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 3:06pm
Do you think or can you feel if the greater rake lifts the bow or is it not that much of a rake to affect it? When I brought that 542 home for Dave and got to see one brand new and close up, it looked impressive.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 3:41pm
I can't say I've noticed it on my skier. Alan and joe saw big differences on their boats, but they are larger and more powerful- running in the mid 50's or greater vs my 45mph. Mine runs the same speed with both props, but the acme is faster out of the hole.

Interestingly, the latest Oj 12x13 I tried seems to be a little off- it spins more revs than the one I tried a few years ago, and even turns 200rpm more than the 1210. It pushed my boat the same 45mph, but was over a mph slower than the 12x14 federal when run on my buddy's orange skier. It's faster than my boat- 46.9 with the Oj and 48.2 with the federal. It ran mid 47's with the 1210 before being tuned up, haven't tried it since. But I bet it would keep up with the federal... Just a guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic