NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad vibration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 11:07pm
Rob,
You never commented on this:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by RMG001 RMG001 wrote:

There is no play at all in the shaft due to a worn cutlass bearing.

If the cutlass is worn, then you should have play in the shaft to the bearing. The exception is if the shaft is bent inside the cutlass bearing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RMG001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMG001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 1:03pm
Don't know why it shows fifteen times. I did do some searching for boat terminology, went for a nice mountain bike ride before it got hot, crashed on the way down and spent the rest of the afternoon in the clinic. So I did not get a chance to get to the boat.

As far as the boat goes i just need to go thru the steps to eliminate the possibilities. Hopefully shoulder is better by next weekend

Thanks Rob
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 1:18am
Sorry to hear of your mishap Rob. Hope you get better soon.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
RMG001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMG001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 3:30am
Figured out what was going on. Will try to explain with proper terminology. The vibration was coming from a SS shaft collar at the transmission side of the flax nut that goes on the stuffing box male end. Thinking someone may have added this to prevent the flax nut from backing off. The collar had two SS bolts as set screws. Ea. screw was an 1 1/2" long. 1/2" would have been sufficient. The set screws were not safety wired. The noise we heard directly before the vibration was one of the bolts coming uncorked and hitting the hull or floor. The other set screw was about 4 revolutions from doing the same. One set screw remained spinning on the shaft. Replaced with much shorter set screws and safety wired them. Test ride was vibration free. Thanks for the help from all of the replies
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 4:42am
Rob,
That collar on your prop shaft is the safety collar. In case of the shaft breaking or coming out of the coupling, it's there to prevent loosing the shaft or the prop hitting the rudder. I don't know why there were the long bolts in it. It should have short hex socket head set screws.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 7:43pm
Pete, I read somewhere to use two set screws in each hole to lock them in.

Is that correct?

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Airgrabber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 10:05am
I'm not surprised, I mention that earlier in this post it sounded like more of a tranny problem or output shaft in your tranny. Least it was a simple fix.
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 10:17am
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

Pete, I read somewhere to use two set screws in each hole to lock them in.

Is that correct?

Seth,
That is certainy an option but, due to the wall thickness of the typical set collar, the set screws need to be real short. I'd prefer to see some blue locktite on a single set screw in each theaded hole.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic