NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

At the lake need help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At the lake need help
    Posted: July-24-2012 at 3:22pm
Here's the senerio
We were skiing and all was fine. After setting up for the next skier I started the boat and bumped it into gear to take up slack when I accidentally knocked the safety switch lanyard off and killed the engine. I stuck the lanyard back on but then no start.
I have power to the starter but all it does is make a rapid clicking sound. It definetly sounds like the clicking is coming from the starter.
Volts are good just clicks. Never had a problem with this one, it's my '95 GT-40 EFI any ideas????
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 3:32pm
Clicking = Low voltage. Check all of your cable connections from your battery to your relay to your starter (and grounds).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 3:50pm
I'll double check them but had no problems on the six or so starts before I killed it.
Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 3:58pm
The lanyard would cut power to the ignition and has no effect on the starter.

If I am understanding your symptoms correctly, then I would say that the fact that the lanyard got bumped is a coincidence.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If I am understanding your symptoms correctly, then I would say that the fact that the lanyard got bumped is a coincidence.

You were dead on Tim thanks. I decided to start at the source(battery) and work my way back to the starter.
I started the terminals they were tight and clean. Re-attached still just clicking. Then I checked the two red power wires that are bolted to the positive battery clamp. Found them to be a little rusty/dirty cleaned them reattached and BINGO fired right up.
Must have picked up just enough corrosion/moisture to lower the voltage to the starter relay.

Vacation saved(all though I do have the '85 with us) Thanks to CCFAN again!!!!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 5:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic